Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2010, 02:37 AM   #4471
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

nyang nyang beach
Pentax *ist + smc Pentax-A 1:2.8/24 + Superia 400

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Thanks The Falcon GTs are some of my most favourite cars to shoot.
back in the colege there was one lie near my dorm house a ford falcon like that. not in good condition but i remember was thinking that is really wide car..

12-10-2010, 03:40 AM   #4472

Photos: Albums
Nice snowtime snaps! What film did you use?
For an aussie over in dry, hot Perth the thought of snow is rather foreign! And therefore interesting
Thanks!

I was using Kodak BW400 CN.
12-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #4473
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Steve, nice results. The FEDs look interesting, I might have to get one to play with, eventually. (I say eventually as right now I am trying to save by not buying any more 35mm bodies, will see how long this will last!).

I have a question regarding Legacy Pro shot at 160. What differences did you notice between this roll of film and others exposed and developed at 100? I gather there are probably many variables, but I am curious.

cheers,
Jason
The FEDs are interesting cameras, though I would suggest doing your research before doing a purchase. There several FED versions with multiple variants for each model. A good reference for FED may be found at sovietcams.com. Mine is a FED-2 (D-6) made in 1963. Its features and foibles include:
  • Wide rangefinder base (almost as wide as the Contax/Kiev)
  • Contrasty rangefinder patch in a fairly dim finder
  • Limited shutter speeds (1/30s - 1/500s + B)
  • Strap lugs (not all FSU cameras have them)
  • Viewfinder diopter
  • No bright frames in the viewfinder (do any FSU rangefinders have this?)
  • Removable film take-up spool (often missing...check before you buy)
  • Very sturdy (rugged?) construction
  • Knob-type film wind
  • M39 (LTM) lens mount
BTW...The FED-5 has the distinction of being possibly the ugliest rangefinder camera ever made

As for Legacy Pro at IE 160...I don't know that I have ever shot it at box speed except for an initial film speed test series. I use Edwal FG-7 (1+15) developer. One of its properties is an approximate doubling of speed for most films. It also delivers fine grain and excellent retention of shadow detail. I use FG-7 for all of my B&W work with the exception of Arista.EDU Ultra 100 and Foma 100.

Steve

P.S. The only drawback to FG-7 is that the liquid concentrate ages quickly upon exposure to air. I buy it by the quart and pour it off into 4 oz brown bottles to preserve freshness.
12-10-2010, 12:32 PM   #4474
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
I could not really get use to the quirks of the FED3a = FED2 so I sold it but I agree that the size of the camera is about perfect and that the J-8 is a very nice lens.

Cheers,

Luc
Yes, I noticed (after the fact) that you sold your FSU kit. Did you ever decide what to do with your Canon 50s?

Steve

12-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #4475
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The FEDs are interesting cameras, though I would suggest doing your research before doing a purchase. There several FED versions with multiple variants for each model. A good reference for FED may be found at sovietcams.com. Mine is a FED-2 (D-6) made in 1963. Its features and foibles include:
  • Wide rangefinder base (almost as wide as the Contax/Kiev)
  • Contrasty rangefinder patch in a fairly dim finder
  • Limited shutter speeds (1/30s - 1/500s + B)
  • Strap lugs (not all FSU cameras have them)
  • Viewfinder diopter
  • No bright frames in the viewfinder (do any FSU rangefinders have this?)
  • Removable film take-up spool (often missing...check before you buy)
  • Very sturdy (rugged?) construction
  • Knob-type film wind
  • M39 (LTM) lens mount
BTW...The FED-5 has the distinction of being possibly the ugliest rangefinder camera ever made

As for Legacy Pro at IE 160...I don't know that I have ever shot it at box speed except for an initial film speed test series. I use Edwal FG-7 (1+15) developer. One of its properties is an approximate doubling of speed for most films. It also delivers fine grain and excellent retention of shadow detail. I use FG-7 for all of my B&W work with the exception of Arista.EDU Ultra 100 and Foma 100.

Steve

P.S. The only drawback to FG-7 is that the liquid concentrate ages quickly upon exposure to air. I buy it by the quart and pour it off into 4 oz brown bottles to preserve freshness.

Also light leaks are common, my ugly fed 5 has them, my fed 4 doesn't and the jupiter 12 is also an amazing lens
the rangefinder patch is nice but damn they are dim, i actually zone focus in daytime and use the turret finder i have for framing the 35mm jupiter, it's close to perfect frame lines on the 4 and 5 but on the older models would be off a bit due to parralax error
the fsu rangefinder everyone at RFF swears by is the Zorki not the fed btw
12-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #4476
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Also light leaks are common, my ugly fed 5 has them...
the fsu rangefinder everyone at RFF swears by is the Zorki not the fed btw
My FED-2 leaks light from around the rangefinder window, though it takes a bright light source at a specific angle to cause a problem. As for the Zorki vs FED debate...I own a Zorki 4K along with the FED-2 and think they both have their plus points. I thought the folks at RRF swore AT their Zorkis, not by them. Seriously, though...there are so many models of both cameras and so much design cross-fertilization between them that it is hard to make a broad generalization.

Steve

(Bought my FED-2 based on the positive comments on RFF and APUG...)
12-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #4477
Loyal Site Supporter

My FED-2 leaks light from around the rangefinder window, though it takes a bright light source at a specific angle to cause a problem. As for the Zorki vs FED debate...I own a Zorki 4K along with the FED-2 and think they both have their plus points. I thought the folks at RRF swore AT their Zorkis, not by them. Seriously, though...there are so many models of both cameras and so much design cross-fertilization between them that it is hard to make a broad generalization.

Steve

(Bought my FED-2 based on the positive comments on RFF and APUG...)

mostly they just sneer at anything not leica
but their are a few dedicated fsu users over there

and they can have a sense of humour about themselves this was done by a member

I want to buy a rangefinder
12-10-2010, 05:22 PM   #4478
Veteran Member

Yes, I noticed (after the fact) that you sold your FSU kit. Did you ever decide what to do with your Canon 50s?
Steve
I sent the 50/1.8 Chrome to CLA at Essex camera and I will get it back in january.
I have purchased a 50/1.8 Black/Chrome (like my others Canon LTM - vanity, vanity ) Once I have both in my hands and I can confirm that I like the B/C as much as the C then I will lkely sell the Chrome which by the way feels great on a FED

Cheers,

Luc

12-10-2010, 05:27 PM   #4479
Veteran Member

Well if I did not have a Canon P and associated lenses which is a great camera to use - I would have kept my FED Plus J8 plus J12 - sent them to the place in New York to have them CLA and focus adjusted just to make sure that everything was honky dory - and live happy ever-after...

Cheers,

Luc
12-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #4480
Site Supporter

By all means, even Pentax users should view the video. It is a real crackup and even more fun if you are familiar with the regulars on RFF. Be sure to view part 2 as well:

I want to buy a rangefinder part two

And "I want to buy a camera" from the same author:

I want to buy a camera

Steve
12-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #4481

OMG - That's hilarious!!!

That is just like some of the folks at RFF. I've never owned a Leica, probably never will, but my Olympus SP and Canonet shots made it into the RFF's first book anyway

Like a great chef owning "Cool" pots and pans that make the best food. It's not the equipment, it's the brain composing the shot.
12-11-2010, 08:26 AM   #4482
Pentaxian

leaving for work

Pentax *ist + smc Pentax-A 1:2.8/24 + Fuji Superia 100
12-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #4483
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote

leaving for work

Pentax *ist + smc Pentax-A 1:2.8/24 + Fuji Superia 100
Very nice shot Hermawan!
12-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #4484
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, ugly and build like a brick But I had a good time taking slides with my FED-5v in '90-s. Sturdy build camera.
12-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #4485
Inactive Account

Got some free time and thought I'd post a few recent pics. Film and developer info on the flickr page.

Thin line between artistic and lazy!

Shot a nearly identical picture last year, but couldn't help myself. I love this tree!

Been a few cars posted lately, thought I'd post my baby!

She's already changed so much in 7 weeks.

Last edited by Vertex Ninja; 12-11-2010 at 08:18 PM.