Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2011, 10:32 PM   #4576
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,003
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote


Double Pentax film camera shot: Our daughter with her SP1000, Super Tak 50/1.4 and Foma 400 captured on Neopan 1600 with a ZX-L and FA 43/1.9
Great shot Nesster. I like it a lot.
How do you like the ZX-L/FA43 combo. I have a FA 43/1.9 on the way and I bought it mainly to put on my MZ-L. I am very excited.

01-02-2011, 10:39 PM   #4577
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,003
I haven't shot much film recently but I was looking through some older stuff and found this one that I really like and I don't think I have posted it (it's hard to keep track of which shots I have posted and which ones I haven't)
I was testing the F 24-50/4 on film when I took this.
Shot wide open and at 24mm on my MZ-L and Fujicolor 200
I think the line in it is from the photo lab or a scanner issue.

01-03-2011, 02:07 AM   #4578
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Norfolk, UK
Posts: 572
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote


Double Pentax film camera shot: Our daughter with her SP1000, Super Tak 50/1.4 and Foma 400 captured on Neopan 1600 with a ZX-L and FA 43/1.9
Really nice shot Jussi but is that the same "little girl" featured in the shots that you posted on page one of this thread?
01-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #4579
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Really nice shot Jussi but is that the same "little girl" featured in the shots that you posted on page one of this thread?
Thank you - no that little girl on page 1 is her big sister, who's 27 now... time files, yes.
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Great shot Nesster. I like it a lot.
How do you like the ZX-L/FA43 combo. I have a FA 43/1.9 on the way and I bought it mainly to put on my MZ-L. I am very excited.
Thank you very much! I like the FA43 on everything that will take it - the Program Plus onwards. With the plastic body cameras you get a very light and small camera package to boot.

01-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #4580
Veteran Member
lbenac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,313
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Thank you - no that little girl on page 1 is her big sister, who's 27 now... time files, yes.
Thank you very much! I like the FA43 on everything that will take it - the Program Plus onwards. With the plastic body cameras you get a very light and small camera package to boot.

Same here wit the 43mm and the MZ-5n I am thinking of selling the FA31 and FA77 and keep only the little guy.

Same here with my stepson who is nearly the age at which I met his mother 18 years ago

Cheers,

Luc
01-03-2011, 07:09 AM   #4581
Veteran Member
lbenac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,313
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Thanks - I actually had camera envy and tried to get us to swap cameras for the trip, and she wouldn't have any of it I had the roll of Neopan in the ZX-L so I had to use it... My latest scheme to get the SP1000 back from her is to get her to swap for the MX. So far, she's not budging...

Have you tried MX plus a large flower bouquet

Cheers,

Luc
01-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #4582
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Have you tried MX plus a large flower bouquet

Cheers,

Luc
Sadly, I developed a father/MX daughter/SP1000 pair of Fomapan 400's this morning, and it looks like the MX has some issues... I'd taken it on a walk through Chinatown in the cold, and just looking at the film it has a long blank stretch that corresponds to the walk. So something's not right with the shutter - on the other hand, the new light seals I put in do work I'll investigate the film and shutter more this evening.
01-03-2011, 10:54 PM   #4583
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ferguson, Mo.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,348
Had to gently chase this "ugly duckling" away when it started to grab at valve-stem
of rear tire, leaned out to get a shot and that was enough.
Ektar does seem to lessen the shock of a "kodachromeless world.
LX, A400/5.6, Ektar100, F8 @ 1/125

Attached Images
 
01-04-2011, 06:47 AM   #4584
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,271
QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Had to gently chase this "ugly duckling" away when it started to grab at valve-stem
of rear tire, leaned out to get a shot and that was enough.
Ektar does seem to lessen the shock of a "kodachromeless world.
LX, A400/5.6, Ektar100, F8 @ 1/125
Very nice colour, I'll have to pick up some Ektar and try it. I've really been tied to fuji for a while now (they seem to be the chrome alternative with a good selection...I believe this is largely due to the Movie world still using a lot of their film, and a lot less of Kodak) This of course will change as the movie industry moves more and more to digital I think a lot of our chrome options will disappear altogether.
01-04-2011, 07:51 AM   #4585
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,503
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
This of course will change as the movie industry moves more and more to digital I think a lot of our chrome options will disappear altogether.
I thought that motion pictures are shot on negative film and "printed" onto the stock that runs in the projectors.


Steve
01-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #4586
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,271
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I thought that motion pictures are shot on negative film and "printed" onto the stock that runs in the projectors.


Steve
Nope they shoot positive quite a bit and from watching some films Velvia quite a bit as well (just jumps out at me as I have shot a lot of velvia over the years)
I actually saw a thread with some cinematographers lamenting the loss of Kodachrome elsewhere
01-04-2011, 09:49 AM   #4587
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ferguson, Mo.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,348
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I've really been tied to fuji
kinda opposite here Ed, for a long time a refrigeration equip. co. based here had
supplied many of the old side by side units that stores had for kodak films, go
into to a local store and guess what you see first and foremost.
After only recently trying Fugichrome50, Im very impressed with that film, those
chromes under a 8x loupe are quite amazing.

Recall seeing some old movies from '50's on ektachrome (think RKO productions)
any ideal what "biggest" movie shot on ektachrome is?
01-04-2011, 01:22 PM   #4588
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Captive Audience. (Pentax MX VL Ultron BW400CN)
This is flat out awe-some!
01-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #4589
Inactive Account




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 652
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Nope they shoot positive quite a bit and from watching some films Velvia quite a bit as well (just jumps out at me as I have shot a lot of velvia over the years)
I actually saw a thread with some cinematographers lamenting the loss of Kodachrome elsewhere
They shoot mostly negative film, scan, do color grading, digital effects, editing, etc. and then print back to positive film to be distributed to the theaters. See the cinematography section here: Velvia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Velvia is far too contrasty for general shooting.

List of films used for filming:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motion_picture_film_stocks

Last edited by Vertex Ninja; 01-04-2011 at 01:52 PM.
01-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #4590
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,271
QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
They shoot mostly negative film, scan, do color grading, digital effects, editing, etc. and then print back to positive film to be distributed to the theaters. See the cinematography section here: Velvia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Velvia is far too contrasty for general shooting.
cool nice info, so as long as they keep showing on positive stock as opposed to digital we should have some chromes available. Velvia is pretty contrasty but i'm pretty sure i've seen it used for mood. the colours are pretty distinctive IMHO
I see they discontinued the cinema stock of velvia and replaced it with a 160 negative stock. boy it would be nice if they released that as a film.
For Velvia I imagine the contrast issues are partially dealt with through Flashing which helps with the dark areas and is pretty common practice as far as I know, though with digital in post now things will have changed
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
architecture, details, ektar, exposure, film, goats, grandma, hood, kodachrome, kodak, lab, legs, lens, lunch, lx, mx, pentax, phil, photos, post, q7, roll, sarajevo, scans, shot, shots, steve, thanks, tokina, velvia
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K20D test shots at Lets Go Digital schufosi777 Pentax News and Rumors 6 04-20-2013 11:31 AM
Macro Cool Macro shots derajjjg Post Your Photos! 2 12-27-2009 09:36 PM
Lets see your Moon and Mars shots Igilligan Post Your Photos! 9 12-05-2009 08:55 AM
Way cool bat shots and General Talk 7 10-01-2009 02:54 AM
Cool Shots & Info Fl_Gulfer Post Your Photos! 0 12-10-2007 11:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:59 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top