Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2011, 10:16 PM   #4711
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Javier..."The Tongue" is a classic

Good work!
thanks steve.i am thinking i am going to put down all digital cams for about a month and see how it goes. those two days i spent shooting the spoty was the most fun i have had in a long while.

01-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #4712
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
the second shot is great.

Thanks, I have been after getting a cathedral shot handheld for some time. That is the first one that came through.

Cheers,

Luc
01-20-2011, 04:42 AM   #4713

A monkey stole my cream soda.

Portra 160NC

01-20-2011, 01:30 PM   #4714
Forum Member

Hello all. I know I'm in the wrong place for a first post but Easytiger's can-swigging, tree-dwelling monkey has pushed me over the edge Fantastic.

I'll apologise now for going off-topic . . . . . but . . .

I'm a latecomer to taking photos on anything more than a point and shoot basis (39 now with three grown up kids . . . . yes all still living at home despite being 22,20 and 19). The new pastime has been prompted by my eldest daughter taking a degree course in photography. While looking for an all-manual film camera for her, my better half saw my enjoyment at handling a scruffy old black MX in a local camera shop (I have a quite an attraction to all things mechanical - I'm pretty good at taking such things apart - not so good on re-assembly). . . . and within 4 weeks I was unwrapping the MX, complete with a 40mm f2.8 lens, as my christmas present - not a bad buy at 79 with a six month warranty. My daughter wasn't quite as happy with her P30 (which seems a lovely, light, sharp thing to use). Neither of us know if our new toys actually work yet - we haven't made the time to go for a short outing to play and no film has yet been processed. Is it me, or does it take a lifetime to take 36, deliberate, planned shots with a 35mm camera? Shooting 100 photos on digital (sorry, I've an EOS 450d - don't hold it against me) seems to take no time at all!

More to the point, I've spent a long time lurking this particular thread (which has taken a good few hours to go through and provided good entertainment) and I'm pretty sure I'm starting to learn good things about composition, metering, film speeds and such things as zone-focussing (and I know what 'bokeh' is now too . . . . I think). I'm also starting to recognise the styles of some of the more regular contributors here, which has surprised me a bit.

I appreciate it doesn't carry much weight when it comes from a 'noob', but here's a 'thank you' for the great photos within the the 300 plus pages. There are some truly awesome photos, the quality of which I will never likely to match . . . . . . but I'm going to have a go.

Sorry for the way-off-topic-excursion.

Thanks for the inspiration and education.

I'll keep on lurking and hopefully learning. I'll have to post a film shot when (if ) I get a good one to share - I should get something up sometime around July 2014

Gary.

01-20-2011, 02:15 PM   #4715
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by easytiger Quote
A monkey stole my cream soda.

Portra 160NC
Law of the jungle
01-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #4716
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by garythesnail Quote
Is it me, or does it take a lifetime to take 36, deliberate, planned shots with a 35mm camera?
Hi Gary, welcome to the forum and welcome to the enjoyment of shooting film. To help answer your question see here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/121898-film-constipation.html

The MX sure is a nice camera, I regretted selling my chrome MX immediately after it was gone, so I have a nice black one now too. If you haven't been able to find a manual for it, you can get it here: http://www.lensinc.net/manuals/Pentax_MXL.pdf. They also have a free manual online for the P30.
01-20-2011, 03:07 PM   #4717
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Gary,

the MX is a superb camera, about the only downside is that after you get used to that huge viewfinder, you might have a hard time going back to you're 450D

I have a 36 exp. roll in my black MX right now that I'm having a hard time getting through.

Here is one from my MZ-L. I am really falling in love with B&W lately. I just ordered 12 rolls of Arista Premium 400.

MZ-L, FA 50/1.4, Tri-X
01-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #4718
Forum Member

Swift and Derek - Thanks for the welcome.

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
the MX is a superb camera, about the only downside is that after you get used to that huge viewfinder, you might have a hard time going back to you're 450D
Funny you should mention this - I made a point of comparing the two over Christmas and was surprised - I just hadn't realised how small the viewfinder in the 450 was, I just didn't know any better I suppose.

Derek - thanks for the link, it's good to know I'm not alone - "film constipation" indeed I thought Gene nailed it with the phrase below though!

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
One is a bit more careful when the click is not free.

01-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #4719

Gary, welcome to the forum! The MX is a great camera.

Portra 160NC

01-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #4720
Veteran Member

One more from my "street" shooting.

Cheers,

Luc
01-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #4721
Pentaxian

Original Poster
more from walk through echo park.

an average store front

walking the bridge

baby stroller

it seems like these where everyplace i looked

not sure what this means, but the building was empty

and this is what I saw
01-21-2011, 01:39 PM   #4722
Veteran Member

Something like f8 at 1/250 with Fuji Pro800z, scanned at the lab with development and printing. Lens was the M 50mm f4 and camera a ME Super.

01-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #4723
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hoojammyflip Quote
Something like f8 at 1/250 with Fuji Pro800z, scanned at the lab with development and printing. Lens was the M 50mm f4 and camera a ME Super.
Great shot.
01-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #4724

Welcome to the group Gary. Lots to learn here. I know I am still getting info from here and I have spent a couple of months lurking here and gathering info to help. I will know more when i get this next roll developed.
Hoojammy, that is a great pic. I really do like it.
01-22-2011, 07:06 AM   #4725
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Thanks, I have been after getting a cathedral shot handheld for some time. That is the first one that came through.

Cheers,

Luc
Just curious, Luc, but was there a restriction on tripods? There was some kind of pageant going on the day I was at the Girona Cathedral, and I could not really try anyway. My photos (DSLR) would not belong in this thread.