Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #4756
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Salem, MA / New York City, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 224
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
One more of the gulls, Neopan 400, D-76, MX, SMC-A 28/2.8, plus some water stains in the sky The MX shutter acted up with this second roll as well- about half of the roll was extremely under exposed. Hope sprang eternal; now it's Heigh Ho Off to Eric We Go


Thumbs up, once again. I'm not yet sure which I prefer of the two.

01-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #4757
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 207
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Ektar 100, Pentax MX, one of my prime lenses...
Kris
A seriously nice shot, Kris (I'm envious).
01-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #4758
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,540
Original Poster
pentax spotmatic sp2, super tak 35mm, fuji superia 200

waiting


snaped me ;-)


boo


waiting to cross


wb on film?



the end of the tunnel
01-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #4759
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,477
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote


snaped me ;-)
Ha! Ha! The guy was shooting stealth with a Bessa! Looks like he also might have a Russian Jupiter-8 mounted as well. Did you ever find a rangefinder you like?


Steve

Edit: On second thought, I am not so sure that it is a Bessa R or R2...Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what that guy was packing?


Last edited by stevebrot; 01-26-2011 at 09:08 PM.
01-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #4760
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,540
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ha! Ha! The guy was shooting stealth with a Bessa! Looks like he also might have a Russian Jupiter-8 mounted as well. Did you ever find a rangefinder you like?


Steve
I laughed when i saw it. if not that fellow snapping me, i would have sent this image to the bin.

as far as range finders go, i have not found one i truly want. i am actually looking at leicas right now. i think with in the next couple of weeks i will buy one.
01-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #4761
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,477
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
i am actually looking at leicas
They are nice. LTM or M mount? Metered or non-metered? New or used?

If you are considering a non-metered, you might want to look at the Canon P like I just got. It is about the same size as a Leica M and very nicely built at a price point of $250 or less. Thread mount though. I have been really impressed with mine. Luc has one too.

If you have a chance, you might also want to look at a Bessa before you spring for a Leica. A new Bessa R2A with Nokton 40/1.4 or R3A with Nokton 35/1.4 can be had for about $1100 new from Steve Gandy at Cameraquest. The R4A with is a little more money, but supports 28mm without an auxiliary finder. He is local to you in LA so it is possible to actually see and handle and compare. Gandy is a real Leica fan despite being a CV distributor and is very candid about the +/- of CV vs. Leica M. In any case, the C/V lenses reasonable substitutes for the Leitz product.


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-26-2011 at 10:54 PM.
01-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #4762
Veteran Member
lbenac's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Burnaby, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,313
My vote for the Canon P with Canon RF lenses. Not expensive and feels good in the hand with good results from the lenses.

Cheers,

Luc

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
They are nice. LTM or M mount? Metered or non-metered? New or used?

If you are considering a non-metered, you might want to look at the Canon P like I just got. It is about the same size as a Leica M and very nicely built at a price point of $250 or less. Thread mount though. I have been really impressed with mine. Luc has one too.

If you have a chance, you might also want to look at a Bessa before you spring for a Leica. A new Bessa R2A with Nokton 40/1.4 or R3A with Nokton 35/1.4 can be had for about $1100 new from Steve Gandy at Cameraquest. The R4A with is a little more money, but supports 28mm without an auxiliary finder. He is local to you in LA so it is possible to actually see and handle and compare. Gandy is a real Leica fan despite being a CV distributor and is very candid about the +/- of CV vs. Leica M. In any case, the C/V lenses reasonable substitutes for the Leitz product.


Steve
01-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #4763
Pentaxian
fearview's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jakarta
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,067
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Ektar 100, Pentax MX, one of my prime lenses...



Kris
i like this shot.



lovely.

01-27-2011, 03:42 AM   #4764
Pentaxian
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,323
QuoteOriginally posted by Banjo Quote
A seriously nice shot, Kris (I'm envious).
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
i like this shot.



lovely.
Thank you both. I was pleased with how it turned out.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ha! Ha! The guy was shooting stealth with a Bessa! Looks like he also might have a Russian Jupiter-8 mounted as well. Did you ever find a rangefinder you like?
I have a FED2 with an Industar 26m 5cm, a Jupiter 12 35mm and a Jupiter 11 135mm lens. It makes a fun change from my SLRs.

K.
01-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #4765
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 33
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Thanks Kevin - when I first started with folding cameras I was petrified about exposure - funny enough worried about over exposing things when the opposite is usual. But it was liberating, one realizes just how many approaches there are to 'correct' exposure - and focus, LOL!
Nesster, this is really true.

Since the youngest folders are nearing their 50th birthdays, the shutter speeds are off one way or another. You can only get a feel for how they're off by shooting, taking some notes, and looking at the results.

I've got one Agfa folder where the shutter speeds are pretty close, and an Ansco where the fast speeds are OK and the slow speeds get progressively slower.

Correct exposure and focus is a relative thing so with a little experience you can trust your judgement. Negative films are better because there's a bigger margin for exposure error.

This was taken with my Agfa Isolette I. I set the focus for this in feet using the scale that's marked in meters. DOH! It came out OK:


01-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #4766
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,477
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I have a FED2 with an Industar 26m 5cm, a Jupiter 12 35mm and a Jupiter 11 135mm lens. It makes a fun change from my SLRs.
I also have a FED-2, but have ditched the Industar in favor of a Jupiter-8. I have the J-12 (nice lens!) but no J-11. You are so right about being a fun change from the SLRs. Strangely, the choice of tools does influence the creative process and the types of subjects I shoot.


Steve


BTW...The FED-2 with J-12 is the nicest handling combo on my camera shelf...even with the requisite auxiliary viewfinder.
01-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #4767
Pentaxian
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,323
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I also have a FED-2, but have ditched the Industar in favor of a Jupiter-8. I have the J-12 (nice lens!) but no J-11. You are so right about being a fun change from the SLRs. Strangely, the choice of tools does influence the creative process and the types of subjects I shoot.


Steve


BTW...The FED-2 with J-12 is the nicest handling combo on my camera shelf...even with the requisite auxiliary viewfinder.
I have to "adjust" the cam on my FED2 before the J12 will fit. I want to finish the roll of Ektar first, however.

Do you have one of those turret auxiliary finders or a specific 35mm one?

Best wishes, K.
01-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #4768
Junior Member




Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 33
Here are a couple from a going away party for neighbors. All with a ZXM and SMC-M 35mm f/2.0. I have to say the ZXM finder really stinks in low light. (Does anyone know how the PZ-1 is for manual focusing? I like the specs of the camera, but have never looked through one.)

Tri-X and Diafine are a perfect combo for available light. It was so dark that I did a lot of shooting at 1/15 or 1/30 wide open so the results are a little mushy.











01-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #4769
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,211
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I have to "adjust" the cam on my FED2 before the J12 will fit. I want to finish the roll of Ektar first, however.

Do you have one of those turret auxiliary finders or a specific 35mm one?

Best wishes, K.
I have the j12 pretty much glued to my fed it's an amazing little lens. I have a turret which has a little issue with parallax, but i have frequently shot without it realizing everything outside the frame-line in the finder is also part of the shot (plus a little)

For the price a fed jupiter 12 combo is very tough to beat IMHO just don't shoot into the sun and fry your shutter cloth

Jupiter 12 on leaky fed 5


01-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #4770
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,899
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ha! Ha! The guy was shooting stealth with a Bessa! Looks like he also might have a Russian Jupiter-8 mounted as well. Did you ever find a rangefinder you like?


Steve

Edit: On second thought, I am not so sure that it is a Bessa R or R2...Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what that guy was packing?
Look like a Contax G series to me.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
architecture, details, ektar, exposure, film, goats, grandma, hood, kodachrome, kodak, lab, legs, lens, lunch, lx, mx, pentax, phil, photos, post, q7, roll, sarajevo, scans, shot, shots, steve, thanks, tokina, velvia
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K20D test shots at Lets Go Digital schufosi777 Pentax News and Rumors 6 04-20-2013 11:31 AM
Macro Cool Macro shots derajjjg Post Your Photos! 2 12-27-2009 09:36 PM
Lets see your Moon and Mars shots Igilligan Post Your Photos! 9 12-05-2009 08:55 AM
Way cool bat shots and General Talk 7 10-01-2009 02:54 AM
Cool Shots & Info Fl_Gulfer Post Your Photos! 0 12-10-2007 11:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top