Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43113 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #5086
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Nice shots. I find the last one especially appealing. K.
Thanks Kris.

03-30-2011, 10:53 PM   #5087
Veteran Member

Another oldie; jeep pull at the athletics BBQ. The men's wrestling team was robbed (we came in second even though the swim team's coach had the brakes on for our entire run).

K1000, grocery store ISO 400, M50mm f/2 or a horrific Albinar zoom.

03-31-2011, 08:34 AM   #5088
Veteran Member

The last roll of film came back from Ilford today. For some reason it took the Post Office 10 days to deliver the film to Ilford so I was getting a bit concerned! All images were shot with my LX and Rollei Retro 80S film, a variety of primes (one of K24/2.8, M28/3.5, K35/3.5, K50/1.2 or M100/2.8 ).

1. A long trip to work.
2. Fierce?
3. Seagull.
4. Alleyway
5. Misty morning

More images (digital, colour film and BW film, Pentax and Lubitel) are in my Venice "collection" on Flickr: Collection: Venice

Best wishes, Kris.
A lovely set, Kris!
A long trip to work and Alleyway are my favourites.

1. PCH
Spotmatic, Super-Tak 50/1.4, Ilford FP4+

2. Coastal living Mindarie style

3. Cray pots
(for catching Rock Lobster)

And a little more Foma:

4. Two Rocks beach
Pentax MX, M20/4, Foma 200

5. GTS
Pentax MX, M20/4, Foma 200
03-31-2011, 07:57 PM   #5089
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

This is the first roll I have shot and I am pleased with it, especially how it rendered the somewhat unexciting skies. It does appear quite grainy for an ISO 80 emulsion, however. I would be reticent to use it where I want fine grain and smooth tonal textures. I'd probably go back to Ilford Delta 100 in those circumstances.

K.
My experience with RR 80s has been somewhat mixed, though course grain has not been an issue. RR 80s is re-purposed aerial photography film and should have very fine grain. Perhaps you should skip Ilford and develop your own? I had been souping mine in Edwal FG-7 and have had trouble controlling contrast. My next roll, I am planning on using HC-110 at Dilution H per this article:

http://www.maco-photo.de/files/images/The_Rollei_RETRO_80s_AJ.pdf

BTW...I too like what it does for skies...

Steve

03-31-2011, 09:18 PM   #5090
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Nesster (Jussi) was kind enough to send me 4 rolls of Ferrania. 2 rolls of 100 and 2 rolls of 400. Thank you kindly 8-)

Of course, I chose the worst part of the day to shoot. high noon harsh sun light, but I was anxious to get out. I managed to shoot 1 roll of each using two bodies. It was very tough to do in the span of an hour...Anyway...It felt good to shoot analog again.

Canon AE-1, FD28F/2.8, Ferrania 100

Blurry, but I like the pic

Blending in
03-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #5091
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Javier,

"Blending In" is simply great. As soon as I saw the photo I laughed out loud!

Steve

P.S. I am looking forward to seeing your shots with the Ferrania 400. I found that it had good color and had no more grain than the 100. The only problem is finding more! Rumor has it that the house brand (Kroger's) at the local Fred Meyer store is Ferrania, so maybe I should give it a try.
03-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #5092
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Javier,

"Blending In" is simply great. As soon as I saw the photo I laughed out loud!

Steve

P.S. I am looking forward to seeing your shots with the Ferrania 400. I found that it had good color and had no more grain than the 100. The only problem is finding more! Rumor has it that the house brand (Kroger's) at the local Fred Meyer store is Ferrania, so maybe I should give it a try.

Thanks Steve. I actually saw that picture from across the street and jay walked in front of L.A. traffic so I would not miss it. As for the 400 speed film, I was pretty happy with it. I will post some of those pics up tomorrow. I like the natural colors from it.

03-31-2011, 10:59 PM   #5093
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What happens when you get confused as to what kind of film is in the tank...

Drift Patterns

Papa, Mama, and Baby Bear

Fountainhead

A Day's Work

Stevenson Landing, Monochrome #1

Stevenson Landing, Monochrome #2

All taken on ancient Kodak Panatomic-X (the second of two rolls granted me by Tuco), exposed at EI 64 and processed in Edwal FG-7 (1+15) 12 minutes at 21 C.

As noted in the heading, this roll suffers from inappropriate processing. The time should have been 10 minutes rather than 12. As a result, there was more fog and much higher density than on the roll I shot this last fall. The result is significantly more pronounced grain and a rather dull look compared to other recent work I have done with this film. Needless to say, I was acutely disappointed in myself.

You may wonder why the extra time? I had been researching processing options for Legacy Pro 400 just before processing the Panatomic and forgot what I had loaded in the tank. Yet another good reason to use removable labels on the film cans and transfer those to the side of the tank as a reference!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-01-2011 at 09:18 PM.
04-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #5094
Veteran Member

It seems you have made the best of it, Steve.
04-01-2011, 06:12 AM   #5095
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, 20% increase in development has an effect, not all of it negative to the negative

Very nice result - and you're making me pine for my formative years, with the pan-x...

--

cross posted from the windows thread

Ektar, Diacord G, I partly compensated for skewing with the 'correct camera distortion' doohicky, and intentionally increased contrast/saturation via blending the pic with itself in 'soft light'. The disadvantage of a TLR is getting it high enough for this sort of shot - I considered the trick of putting my back on the scene and holding the camera inverted over my head... but it was cold and I felt silly.

Kodak Gold 400, Minolta SRT-201, Rokkor 40/2
04-01-2011, 06:26 AM   #5096
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
I just recently discovered the joy of shooting film, so Imma get in on this action. Here's a few from a roll of expired Portra 160NC which I shot yesterday. Pentax MX with Zeiss 35/2:
Very nice! Like the cyan/magenta colors, remind me of old polaroids.
04-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #5097
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Very nice result - and you're making me pine for my formative years, with the pan-x...
Thank Tuco...he was the one who shared the film!
04-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #5098
Veteran Member

Pentax MX, A50 f/1.2, Ektar 100
04-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #5099
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What happens when you get confused as to what kind of film is in the tank...

Drift Patterns

Papa, Mama, and Baby Bear

Fountainhead

A Day's Work

Stevenson Landing, Monochrome #1

Stevenson Landing, Monochrome #2

All taken on ancient Kodak Panatomic-X (the second of two rolls granted me by Tuco), exposed at EI 64 and processed in Edwal FG-7 (1+15) 12 minutes at 21 C.

As noted in the heading, this roll suffers from inappropriate processing. The time should have been 10 minutes rather than 12. As a result, there was more fog and much higher density than on the roll I shot this last fall. The result is significantly more pronounced grain and a rather dull look compared to other recent work I have done with this film. Needless to say, I was acutely disappointed in myself.

You may wonder why the extra time? I had been researching processing options for Legacy Pro 400 just before processing the Panatomic and forgot what I had loaded in the tank. Yet another good reason to use removable labels on the film cans and transfer those to the side of the tank as a reference!

Steve
Developing mistake aside, these are a really nice bunch of photos. I really like each one, particularly the last.
04-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #5100
Veteran Member

*ist, DA35/2.4, Fuji Superia Reala 100