Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #5131
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vsl3-e Quote
I didnt have time to shoot for 4 months, because of new job and moving. Felt so good last weekend to be back behind the lens.

All the same combo: Pentax Super A, Ricoh P 50 f1.7, Kodak BW400CN

This is a nice series specially the night shots.

04-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #5132
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Nice shots. I can see why you are thinking of LF, though.

Yes I put my hands on a 75/4.5 shift for the Pentax 67 and suddenly something clicked in my brain. Tilt back for increase depth of field and perspective correction....

Cheers,

Luc
04-05-2011, 06:10 AM   #5133
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Yes I put my hands on a 75/4.5 shift for the Pentax 67 and suddenly something clicked in my brain. Tilt back for increase depth of field and perspective correction....

Cheers,

Luc
Yes, last night I paid too much on Ebay for a lens board for my baby (6x7,6x9) Graflex so that I could use a 127mm lens from the 4x5 model with wider coverage.
04-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #5134
Veteran Member

Yes, last night I paid too much on Ebay for a lens board for my baby (6x7,6x9) Graflex so that I could use a 127mm lens from the 4x5 model with wider coverage.

I have still not decided between a 6x9 or a 4x5. The smaller size should be more convenient both in term of size and potentially using a roll back but I am not so sure about the resolution of the lenses on a small negative compared to a MF lens.
The 4x5 might make more sense from that point of view.
All costs consideration apart of course

04-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #5135
Site Supporter

I have still not decided between a 6x9 or a 4x5. The smaller size should be more convenient both in term of size and potentially using a roll back but I am not so sure about the resolution of the lenses on a small negative compared to a MF lens.
The 4x5 might make more sense from that point of view.
All costs consideration apart of course
My feeling was to start with familiar films in familiar forms and an inexpensive platform. If it catches fire with me, then I'll move up to more expensive and inconvenient formats. Right now, I just use RB67 backs on the Graflex, and I can buy the same film as for the 645. I may buy a 6x9 back as well. I primarily use it with the ground glass, rather than as a press camera.

I've had this folding camera a year and have not gone through very many rolls, so I'm not sure that upping the ante makes sense for me right now. I'm hoping that the Giottos Vetruvian tripod I bought last fall will help this season. It is sturdy and very easily portable.
04-05-2011, 10:13 AM   #5136
Veteran Member

My feeling was to start with familiar films in familiar forms and an inexpensive platform. If it catches fire with me, then I'll move up to more expensive and inconvenient formats. Right now, I just use RB67 backs on the Graflex, and I can buy the same film as for the 645. I may buy a 6x9 back as well. I primarily use it with the ground glass, rather than as a press camera.

I've had this folding camera a year and have not gone through very many rolls, so I'm not sure that upping the ante makes sense for me right now. I'm hoping that the Giottos Vetruvian tripod I bought last fall will help this season. It is sturdy and very easily portable.

That makes a lot of sense. I will be starting to work with ground glass and sheet film on my Zeiss Icarette to see how I like it. It only has front lens shift.
I just ordered a book "Using your View camera" that I will read before making any move anyway.
04-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #5137
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have still not decided between a 6x9 or a 4x5.
Hard choice, to be sure...

I just ordered a book "Using your View camera" that I will read before making any move anyway.
"Using the View Camera" by Steve Simmons? It is a great book. Use it in tandem with "The Camera" by Ansel Adams and you will be up to speed in no time. There is also a good collection of articles on the Large Format Photography Web site that cover the full range of LF topics from gear selection to technique.

Steve
04-05-2011, 10:15 PM   #5138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Hard choice, to be sure...

"Using the View Camera" by Steve Simmons? It is a great book. Use it in tandem with "The Camera" by Ansel Adams and you will be up to speed in no time. There is also a good collection of articles on the Large Format Photography Web site that cover the full range of LF topics from gear selection to technique.

Steve

That's the one. Good links. Thanks.

04-05-2011, 10:24 PM   #5139
Site Supporter

My first roll of Legacy Pro 400 shot with the Yashica Lynx 5000. I am starting to figure out that both of my Lynx are VERY prone to veiling flare if strong light hits the glass. This includes bright overcast sky. All shots made at EI 800 and processed in Edwal FG-7 (1+15), 12 minutes @ 21C.

Unknown Curve

Can't remember just where I shot this...

Heavy Tilt

Green Man Pedestal

The Green Man

Greyhound Struts

To Mark the Passage of Time

Walkway Rafters

Convergent Transit

...More stuff tomorrow with selections from Portland's weird side.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-05-2011 at 10:51 PM.
04-06-2011, 06:17 AM   #5140
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
My first roll of Legacy Pro 400 shot with the Yashica Lynx 5000. I am starting to figure out that both of my Lynx are VERY prone to veiling flare if strong light hits the glass. This includes bright overcast sky. All shots made at EI 800 and processed in Edwal FG-7 (1+15), 12 minutes @ 21C.
Steve
Nice tones, but, as you said in another thread, perhaps a little flat. That could be changed with scanner settings, though. It works the best in the "curve" shot.

Reminds me of the results I was getting at that EI and dev. combo when I was using it this time last year. I'd run a roll again, but I'm a little bit afraid of year-old FG7 after a post you made last year. Unfortunately, for most of us, we just can't have too many open bottles of developer around. I picked up some Ilfotol DD-X for use on MF Delta Pro 3200, and I may try it where I used the FG7 for a bit of extra speed.
04-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #5141
Site Supporter

Nice tones, but, as you said in another thread, perhaps a little flat. That could be changed with scanner settings, though. It works the best in the "curve" shot.
No particular attention was given to the scan process. Just auto mode on the V700. I did a little tweaking in PP though. There was more fog in the unexposed areas of the negative than I was expecting, which might be the cause of the flatness. All that being said, I am very pleased with the grain (or lack thereof) and am thinking that I should give this film a run through one of my cameras having better optics and mechanics.

Another possible cause for the flatness may simply be the quality of light. A gray day in Portland is a gray day and it is hard to produce snap from mush!

Steve
04-06-2011, 08:45 AM   #5142
Veteran Member

Steve, thanks for posting these. They do indeed look very clean, especially compared to the roll of this film I recently processed. I have another one in the can which I might find time for tonight.

I did a roll of Ilford 3200 in the Bronica last night, and just finished scanning. This was exposed at 1600, and stand-processed for ~50 minutes in Rodinal:

04-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #5143
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow Todd...That is impressive to say the least.
04-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #5144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Wow Todd...That is impressive to say the least.
Thanks, Javier! Perhaps less impressive when you consider that it's not quite critically focused, and that further, that's one of only 2 usable shots from the entire roll, due to focus issues.

I am very new to medium format, and this is only maybe my 6th roll. And it's a lot harder than I expected it to be to get critical focus at f/4 in this format, especially using a waist-level finder. Fortunately MF is somewhat forgiving when I only need to present the files at web-size, but I need to get better.

But then you may have been referring to the grain and tonality of this emulsion/developer combo, which I agree is reeeally nice. I can't wait to do more with it.
04-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #5145
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
Thanks, Javier! Perhaps less impressive when you consider that it's not quite critically focused, and that further, that's one of only 2 usable shots from the entire roll, due to focus issues.

I am very new to medium format, and this is only maybe my 6th roll. And it's a lot harder than I expected it to be to get critical focus at f/4 in this format, especially using a waist-level finder. Fortunately MF is somewhat forgiving when I only need to present the files at web-size, but I need to get better.

But then you may have been referring to the grain and tonality of this emulsion/developer combo, which I agree is reeeally nice. I can't wait to do more with it.
Get a prism finder it simplifies things Todd. I have a bugger of a time with the WL myself. no need for the AE prism (though it would be nice) a standard prism can be had pretty cheaply. I got an engraved one from KEH cheap

f4.0 is really narrow DOF as well. at 5 feet with the 75 it's less than 6" focal zone
on the 150 it's less than 3"

that thin is tough to get with WL (easier with a posed subject and a tripod, but hand held it's easier o shoot with the prism as it's what we are used to from slrs. a different screen may help as well. don't know what screen you have but i find mine a bugger (the Matte gridline screen) I'd love to find a copy of the split image microprism for mine but they seem damn rare

EDIT - of course after saying that KEH has several right now cheap, I'm on a buying freeze right now though