Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2011, 05:18 AM   #5656
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
More UltraMax 400 Street shots with the FD28 on the AE-1...Going for more of a candid style.
Javier, I don't think I've used Ultramax, but the color and grain in your street shots are rather unique and fit the style. The look is more like ISO 400 slide film from 30 years ago. Is it expired or are you doing something different with it?

Last edited by GeneV; 06-14-2011 at 05:47 AM.
06-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #5657
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Javier, I don't think I've used Ultramax, but the color and grain in your street shots are rather unique and fit the style. The look is more like ISO 400 slide film from 30 years ago. Is it expired or are you doing something different with it?
Thanks Gene. Aside from slight cropping and adding my watermark, they are as they came from CVS. Having said that, this film is normally not this grainy. I suspect that the CVS scanner tweaks them some as is evidenced by the excessive sharpness. To much for my taste, but i believe it also brought out the color. I will be scanning them myself when I get a chance just to see.
06-16-2011, 05:16 AM   #5658

Photos: Gallery
Photos from my recent nightwalk in the town. K1000 with SMC-M 50 1.7 in Fuji superia 200 pushed to 400

06-16-2011, 05:52 AM   #5659
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Thanks Gene. Aside from slight cropping and adding my watermark, they are as they came from CVS. Having said that, this film is normally not this grainy. I suspect that the CVS scanner tweaks them some as is evidenced by the excessive sharpness. To much for my taste, but i believe it also brought out the color. I will be scanning them myself when I get a chance just to see.
Scanning and post processing can change everything. Those shots reminded me of your earlier work with the 99 cent film--not a bad thing at all--with a retro look. I don't know about Ultramax, but the newest Portra 400 seems about as fine grained as any color print film in any ISO that was available in the '80s.

06-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #5660
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's a couple from my Nikon FE. Both are shot with the Nikkor-S 35/2.8 and Fujicolor 200

06-18-2011, 07:04 AM   #5661
Veteran Member

Colton, colors and sense of motion in these are great. Thanks for sharing. Had my Nikon EM rehabbed and haven't shot it since...might be time to take it out again.

Best,
Kevin
06-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #5662
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More from the Canon AE-1, FD28 and UltraMax 400

ET phone home / not

Which way should I go?

Jewels

Getting liquored up at 7:30 in the morning

All aboard
06-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #5663
Site Supporter

Great work here as always!

I just answered a post regarding poor scan results from a low-end scanner and it occurred to me that the users of this thread could do a tremendous favor to the community by making a note of what scanner (if known) was used to digitize the image. Full details would be tedious, but just knowing the expected quality level might save a noob the disappointment of an unwise purchase.

Steve

06-18-2011, 09:48 AM   #5664
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Colton, colors and sense of motion in these are great. Thanks for sharing. Had my Nikon EM rehabbed and haven't shot it since...might be time to take it out again.

Best,
Kevin
Thanks Kevin.
Speaking of a Nikon EM, I have had my sister's for months and should really take it out and shoot a roll. One of the problems of having so many cameras is that it's near impossible to get to them all
06-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #5665
Veteran Member

Yeah, but what a nice problem to have <g>. I've been shooting one of my two K1000s for a couple of rolls. Finished one today for World Pentax Day and hope some of them turn out the way I hope. I'll share the results here and in the World Pentax Day album when I get them back.

Best,
Kevin
06-19-2011, 11:53 AM   #5666
Pentaxian

In June 2008, I had to go up to Portland to see a neurologist. I had a Friday appointment so my wife and I decided to make a weekend trip out of it and we went camping at Silver Falls State Park near Salem. I was just getting into photography and was really excited to try and get some good waterfall photos with my then fairly new K10D. I had also recently acquired my first manual focus Pentax, a near mint ME.
I had shot a few rolls of cheap C-41 film with it so I new it worked, so I brought it along and thought I would try some waterfall photos on Fuji Velvia. In hind sight, I really had no idea what I was doing, shooting the roll or even what I was gonna do with it once I was done. There I was on a bright sunny trying to get good photos of waterfalls. The lighting was brutally harsh but being naive, I happily shot all 39 frames on a $11 roll of film. When I got home I went to the local photo store and they sent the roll of for developing which cost me another $10. I got the roll back as near as I could tell they looked okay. At that time I had no scanner so I wasn't sure what to do with the unmounted slides so I cut them up into strips of 5 to put into storage sheets. Then I decided to take it down to the minilab and have them scan it. The next day I went to pick up the film and the CD and to my horror they charged me $28 to scan the roll. Apparently, since I had cut the roll into strips it was much more work. I grudgingly paid them, took the film and CD home only to find out that only 2 or three frames even remotely worked out.
I recently found the roll again and decided to scan them myself.

So here are the 2 good shots from a roll of film that cost me $50

Pentax ME, M 50/1.7, Velvia, Epson V500

I apologize for being long winded but thought the story was worth sharing.
06-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #5667
Veteran Member

Colton, I'm willing to bet that everybody here has a similar story. I know I do. I justify it to myself by rationalizing that if I get one shot, it's worth it...

ME Super, FA 50 f1.4, Sensia 100 (July 2009)

Achieved this shot at an expense similar to yours (except I got the film cheaply as it was expired). And no extra charge for the lovely black spots, most likely due to expired chemistry courtesy of shoddy lab work. I haven't been back.

Best,
Kevin

Last edited by KJon; 06-19-2011 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Add the date
06-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #5668
Veteran Member

@KJon,
2 weeks ago I picked slide from B&H with Velvia 100 and a few frames have the same effect
06-19-2011, 05:51 PM   #5669
Veteran Member

...you don't need to hear my adventure, in the rain, getting my daughter's first roll of 120 from her new Holga developed - I tried Duggal in Manhattan. The thing cost more than the camera. At least it was raining the day I went to pay through the nose of these 12 little square prints, and I took a long walk with my ST605 and got some good pics.
06-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #5670
Veteran Member

Nesster, I bet if you factor in the costs of her prints and processing, your prints and processing, that you still feel like your prints arrived for money well-spent <g>.

Wuzet, sorry you ended up with leopard prints, too, although I'm happy to hear that only a few of your slides were adversely effected.

Best,
Kevin