Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #6076
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk1000denver Quote
Phil - thank you for the link!

Anybody - I'm scanning mine with an Epson 4490, and on this last round of black and white, I noticed the black spots scan in really ugly with sharp edges. I'm scanning the film at 3200 dpi, any ideas on how I can fix that issue? example:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6186/6105238304_87c1c27e44_b.jpg

thanks in advance for any advice there.

-Brian
Hi

I'm not sure what you mean by "black spots". Are you refering to dust spots on the film, or to dark image areas? Perhaps you could clarify.

In your earlier posting, you refer to white areas being washed out. This is a result of clipping, which is easily corrected in your scanning software. Clipping can also occur in shadow areas, resulting in a lack of shadow detail. This is easily corrected by a combination of proper scanner settings and careful use of curves and levels in Photoshop.

If you intend to do a lot of scanning, I strongly suggest that you get a good book about scanning. A book will give you an overview of how scanning works and an understanding of the basic issues that affect scan quality. Scanner manuals do not provide the leverl of detail needed for competent scanning. In general tems the key to suceesssful scanning is to kill the "helpful" automatic functions in scanning software, set everything manually, and do the real work in Photoshop. You need to do some studying to find out why this is so.

John

09-03-2011, 08:57 AM   #6077
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Hard choice to make Erik,sounds like a fun one though.On one hand,have the
latitude of portra and on the other,saturation and color of ektachrome.
Gotta flip a coin to call that one.With ektachrome, did double check myself by taking
reflected metering off of gray card at subject,found myself speeding shutter
up a half-stop in most cases.Did seem to saturate at expense of some dark shadows.

Hope to see a sample when you have some time. Hard to get one's self out of
'chrome mode' once in it.
Nice work with the E100G & E200 Bill!

Unfortunately Kodak has been purging films again:

Due to significantly decreased sales volumes, Kodak is ceasing production of KODAK PROFESSIONAL ELITE Chrome 200 Film. Based on current demand, product is expected to be available in the market through March of 2011.

Due to significantly decreased sales volumes, Kodak is ceasing production of KODAK PROFESSIONAL EKTACHROME Film E200. Based on current demand, product is expected to be available in the market through March of 2011.

Kodak now only makes four reversal films:

Ektachrome E100G
Ektachrome E100VS
Elitechrome 100
Elitechrome Extra Color 100

Phil.
09-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #6078
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mer Quote
pentax 645 . 75mm f/2.8 . kodak e100g
That's beautiful. Love the colours.
09-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #6079
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Due to significantly decreased sales volumes, Kodak is ceasing production of KODAK PROFESSIONAL
EKTACHROME Film E200. Based on current demand, product is expected to be available in the market through March of 2011.

Kodak now only makes four reversal films:

Ektachrome E100G
Ektachrome E100VS
Elitechrome 100
Elitechrome Extra Color 100
Rotten ^$#%#&*'s !!!!

Thanks Phil, hope I covered enough ground for all of us in regards to kodak.
Gotta feeling there's going to be a side by side refrigerator w/ glass doors listed on craigslist here before long.
Guess I bought last roll of ektachrome 200 from same folks.

Edit: Still available at a number of places.Have 2 rolls left. Ordered 4 more and that will be it.

Last edited by BillM; 09-04-2011 at 04:49 AM.
09-03-2011, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #6080
Pentaxian

Some more Provia.

Both are Provia 100F shot with MZ-L and FA 43/1.9 ltd.

09-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #6081
Forum Member

Both very nice!
09-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #6082
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aheadfordinci Quote
Both very nice!
Thank you sir
09-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #6083

John - that's a very logical answer, thank you. I did mean that the dark areas of the photo were lacking in detail and looked like black splotches on the photo. I will do some more research on scanning. I think they use a very similar scanner (V500) at the local lab, I may ask for some pointers there. I do some editing in Photoshop, I will read up on how to use Curves and Levels a little more. thanks again!

If anybody has a suggestion on some good literature that relates to scanning and possibly connects it to negative and slide film, I'm all ears. :0)

for the heck of it, here's a couple more photos:

these first two are older, a couple of my first "successful" photos. I don't remember the exact type of film, but I think it was some regular old Fuji 200 that they sell at Walgreen's. Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7:

some more Ektar 100, but cropped quite a bit and blown up, you can actually see some grain, which I like. Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7.

Fuji Pro 160s/Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7:

Provia 100/Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7:

09-05-2011, 04:01 AM   #6084
Veteran Member

Dipping into the archives again, this time from January 29, 2011...

Boyd's Bears set up a megastore in Gettysburg, PA and unfortunately it became a victim of the soft economy. When they opened, I thought it was an odd place to open this kind of store, but for a few years they seemed to do very well. My wife and I were home visiting the in-laws in January and were there for its last day of business. Coincidentally, my ME Super's film advance picked this day to crap out. The ME Super's story ends well, however, in that a little "percussive maintenance" restored the film advance.

ME Super, M50 f1.7, Fuji Reala 100

Same gear. Thought this was a rather poignant commentary on the times...

Best to all,
Kevin
09-05-2011, 04:21 AM   #6085
Veteran Member

Archives Round II - February 2011

After having driven past the Colt Dome my entire life and seeing it as one of Hartford's iconic symbols, I now find myself working in an adjacent building. I think it's profoundly ironic that that a factory that produced firearms is now an arts academy fostering the creativity of its students. (Just so we are perfectly clear; I am a firm believer in the second amendment, but I'd also like to see our swords beaten into plowshares...).

SuperProgram, M50 f1.7, Fuji Reala 100

Adjacent building has become a home to several feral cats

Another view of the dome

Detail of one of the homes Colt built for his labor force

Best to all,
Kevin
09-05-2011, 05:41 AM   #6086

Photos: Albums
I am rather in awe of the standard of photos (and scanning) on this thread, so slightly hesitant about posting my effort, which I have produced after dusting off my old Pentax Super A after years of not using it. The light levels in the image itself aren't perfect and I have compounded it by scanning the print in a cheap, old flatbed scanner at home.

Film used: bog-standard Fuji C200 (which you get free with processed films). Can't remember the settings I used but it would have been anywhere between 4 and 8 seconds, and anywhere between F16 and F8:
Attached Images

09-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #6087
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Archives Round II - February 2011

After having driven past the Colt Dome my entire life and seeing it as one of Hartford's iconic symbols, I now find myself working in an adjacent building. I think it's profoundly ironic that that a factory that produced firearms is now an arts academy fostering the creativity of its students. (Just so we are perfectly clear; I am a firm believer in the second amendment, but I'd also like to see our swords beaten into plowshares...).

SuperProgram, M50 f1.7, Fuji Reala 100

Adjacent building has become a home to several feral cats

Another view of the dome

Detail of one of the homes Colt built for his labor force

Best to all,
Kevin
Nice work Kevin.
I like the building in the last shot.
09-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #6088

Another set from my Ricoh with Walgreens iso400 and a Helios 44-2

Downtown Tallahassee

FL State Capitol buildings (old and current)

St. Augustine, FL

Castillo de San Marcos

Old graveyard

Flagler College

Flagler College

Last edited by samtr87; 09-05-2011 at 02:27 PM.
09-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #6089
Veteran Member

@ooblyboo, don't sell yourself short. I'm liking your posted shot a lot. Shows way more creativity than anything I've posted <g>.

@Colton, thanks for the kind words and the Provia daisies. Keep 'em coming. I don't know that I've ever seen Provia available here retail, but my options are pretty limited. If I'm going to shoot it, I'll have to order it.

@samtr87, nice set with the Ricoh. In fact I've liked most of the stuff I've seen shot with Ricohs (which bodes well for the coming days of Pentax, I hope). Where are you at? Or I should ask, where were you at when you shot these pics?

Best to all,
Kevin

Last edited by KJon; 09-05-2011 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Revise an awkwardly worded question
09-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #6090

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
@samtr87, nice set with the Ricoh. In fact I've liked most of the stuff I've seen shot with Ricohs (which bodes well for the coming days of Pentax, I hope). Where are you at? Or I should ask, where were you at when you shot these pics?

Best to all,
Kevin
Thanks. Yeah, I've grown to like the Ricoh. Hope my Spotmatic can take pictures as good as the Ricoh with the new light seals.

I added locations under the pictures, but they were taken in Tallahassee and St. Augustine, FL.