05-21-2009, 06:58 PM   #601
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
That is very nice and get me thinking about shooting at night more often

Cheers,

Luc
Same here...Infact I picked up a roll of ASA1600 TODAY.

05-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #602
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fuji 400 x-tra, SP2, SUPER TAK 55F/2.0

05-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #603
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Mike, you have such an amazing eye for finding these types of pictures. I do not post up many like this if any because for as many of those as I take, I am never happy with any and end up in the trash can.
Mike, I am with Javier! I was going to comment on the first shot of the locked lattice, but was still at work. They I saw the overgrown pathway and knew that I needed to give you the good word.

The first one definitely tells a story. The broken hasp and the new chain. The second is just simply a classic "stairway to heaven" sort of shot.

Steve
05-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #604
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Mike, I am with Javier! I was going to comment on the first shot of the locked lattice, but was still at work. They I saw the overgrown pathway and knew that I needed to give you the good word.

The first one definitely tells a story. The broken hasp and the new chain. The second is just simply a classic "stairway to heaven" sort of shot.

Steve
Thanks to both of you!

I probably spent about 3~5 minutes on each of those shots. That particular camera has a bit of a shutter release hiccup and really only works well when fired with the self-timer, so it pretty much always is used on a tripod. The shot of the lattice wasn't what I really wanted, but it was what was possible within the confines of where I could set up my tripod and the long minimum focus of the camera.

I took a cell phone shot of the setup for the stairway photo. The great thing about a TLR is that it has a built-in right angle viewfinder, perfect for low shots.

1952 Yashicaflex A2 TLR
Fuji Acros 100

05-23-2009, 04:44 AM   #605
Veteran Member

Another advantage of a TLR (and all film cameras): we don't need to obsess about 'what film does the D-7 take, and does it tell you to move left for better composition in stereo or not, and if not why is there a stereo mic input, can you use it as a MP3 player then?' like the rest of the pentax world is currently doing.

ES-II, SMC Tak 28/3.5, Fuji 400H
05-23-2009, 05:55 AM   #606
Veteran Member

And film somehow is apt for a shot such as this one (Mike - I'm reminded both my TLRs are getting impatient for their turn... that's a really good shot. Have you done your strobist thing with the TLR?)

CVS ASA200 film, Yashica TL Electro-X, Vivitar T4 3.8 / 21mm lens
05-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #607
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Another advantage of a TLR (and all film cameras): we don't need to obsess about 'what film does the D-7 take, and does it tell you to move left for better composition in stereo or not, and if not why is there a stereo mic input, can you use it as a MP3 player then?' like the rest of the pentax world is currently doing.
Amen to that Nesster. I went shooting a few days ago with a friend of mine who is also a Pentaxian by the way. Anyway as we had been carrying on a conversation he wanted to get check out the upgrades that where done to to the SanGabriel mission and I said, cool lets go. I grabbed my old reliable me super with my M40F/2.8 that I never leave home with out and we where off. I loaded it with Kodak 800 ultramax and was set. ''Again he gave me some flack over the film camera and I said...Rick, lets just wait and see who gets better results when it is all said and done. I knew my advantage was in the dynamic range of the film because of the harsh light, shadows and contrasting shadows. Bottom line is that while he did get a few keepers, none where as good as what I got with film.

Now here is the thing. When I shoot with my digital, I end up bracketing and chimping allot just to get what I want, then I have to spend time on the computer ''fixing'' many pictures to my liking. This to me is time being wasted that I could use to spend with my family or shooting...For many folks, this is perfectly cool and nothing wrong with this. I also do allot of birding and use my DSLR's pretty exclusively for this.Anyway, end of rant.

Here are some of the more difficult shots I took at the mission..

ME SUPER, M40F/2.8@F11, Hyperfocal focusing, Ultramax 800..target processing and scanning...

05-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #608
Veteran Member

Original Poster
These where the most impressive, I took. Perhaps some of the most impressive I have ever taken. Very dark conditions as are most missions and old churches. These where shot wide open F/2.8 and shutter speed was 1/30 and hand held. Well, not truly hand held. I put the camera on top of what ever I could find. A pew or collection box and held it and composed best I could with what I had. Still, I am happy with the end results.

05-23-2009, 12:38 PM   #609
Veteran Member

Excellent indoor shots, Javier. 2.8 is a good stop.

CVS ASA200, Yashica TL Electro-X, Soligor T4 105/2.8
05-23-2009, 02:12 PM   #610
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rollei Retro 100 developed in Amaloco AM74. Shot with the MZ-5n and F 70-210mm

05-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #611
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Javier "gets it"!

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
''Again he gave me some flack over the film camera and I said...Rick, lets just wait and see who gets better results when it is all said and done. I knew my advantage was in the dynamic range of the film because of the harsh light, shadows and contrasting shadows. Bottom line is that while he did get a few keepers, none where as good as what I got with film.

Now here is the thing. When I shoot with my digital, I end up bracketing and chimping allot just to get what I want, then I have to spend time on the computer ''fixing'' many pictures to my liking. This to me is time being wasted that I could use to spend with my family or shooting...For many folks, this is perfectly cool and nothing wrong with this. I also do allot of birding and use my DSLR's pretty exclusively for this. Anyway, end of rant.
Wow, that's it in a nutshell!

Chris
05-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #612
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax 645N with Arsat 30mm f:3.5 and Ilford Delta 3200 in Ultrafin Plus.

Nip/Tuck Fan-tasy

Black Magic Jag
05-23-2009, 04:55 PM   #613
Inactive Account

MX, SMC M 28mm f/2, TMAX 100 in straight D76. Weather's allowing me to dip below ISO 400 again.

"The Procession"

"Snowfall in May"

"Vera"

05-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #614
Veteran Member

1959 Konica S
DNP Centuria 200
1 second @ f16

05-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #615
Forum Member

Heres a few from a Photography Coarse I did a few years ago.

Its rainy here today and I've been playing around with copying some slides I took a fews years ago. Check out the ghetto style slide copier. Actually quite suprised how well they've copied using this method.

Can't remember what the slide film was exactly it has fuji RA-660 on the slide strips but I can't find anything on the net to say what that code is?

All taken with my ME Super and M50 f1.7 theres a few more here

Flickr: mikengstrom's Photostream