Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #6451

This following photo is a low resolution scan of Kodak Ektar 100, shot with a Pentax 67 and 135mm macro:

Name:  thorns.jpg
Views: 490
Size:  172.8 KB

12-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #6452

wow, that's a great looking photo. I love the detail in the wood and the saturation in the leaves. did you adjust the saturation much?
12-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #6453
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tony1123 Quote
This following photo is a low resolution scan of Kodak Ektar 100, shot with a Pentax 67 and 135mm macro:
LOL -I'm glad you didn't show us a high resolution scan, I really didn't want to see the innards of tree cells exposed This is natural sharpness and detail, and the reason why medium format is worth while.
12-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #6454

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk1000denver Quote
wow, that's a great looking photo. I love the detail in the wood and the saturation in the leaves. did you adjust the saturation much?
No, I did not adjust saturation at all, only levels as the original shot was a little overexposed.

12-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #6455

First time posting here...

Got my first camera, a digital compact in 2002 or so (1.3MP!) and have been shooting digital - compacts until July 2010, DSLR (Canon, sorry) - since then. I still use it for a variety of things, but I picked up a Super Program with three lenses locally back in May 2011, and I've been having a lot more fun shooting film than digital. Developing in my basement and scanning on my flatbed (I really think I can improve this point...I haven't taken the time to learn how to properly adjust it for best film scanning results), just having fun with it rather than obsessing over it (not that there's anything wrong with that...). Picked up an ME last week that I'm going to try putting through its paces as well. Both cameras seem to be in fine mechanical condition and are presentable cosmetically, but both will see use rather than closets (not that there's anything wrong with that, either, lol)!

Anyways, I still consider myself very new to film, and I think I'm improving both my photography and my processing with each roll. Been trying some different films too, Ektar 100 is my favourite so far, just ordered another 5 rolls of it.

Here's just a half-dozen taken over the past few months, from oldest to newest:

Super Program, SMC A 50/1.7 (I think), Kodak Portra 400:

Super Program, SMC A 50/1.7 (I think), Kodak Portra 400:

Super Program, SMC A 50/1.7 (I think), Kodak Ektar 100:

Super Program, SMC A 50/1.7, Lomography 100:

Super Program, SMC A 50/1.7, Lomography Redscale XR:

Super Program, SMC A 50/1.7, Lomography 100:
12-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #6456
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that last shot the lomo is the perfect film, nice old school look, could be a shot found in a shoebox in an attic if it wasn't for the modern gas station in the distance and the new style street light
12-15-2011, 01:56 PM   #6457

very cool photos. so, you jumped right into color developing on your own with no experience? I would love to hear more about your setup and how you got started, because I would love to process my own film one day, and I really prefer shooting color over black and white. I've always been discouraged/intimidated with color processing because everyone says it is so difficult to do on your own. If you can post a little about that or even message me if this isn't the right place, I'd love to hear! btw, that first shot is my favorite!
12-15-2011, 02:06 PM   #6458
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
very cool photos. so, you jumped right into color developing on your own with no experience? I would love to hear more about your setup and how you got started, because I would love to process my own film one day, and I really prefer shooting color over black and white. I've always been discouraged/intimidated with color processing because everyone says it is so difficult to do on your own. If you can post a little about that or even message me if this isn't the right place, I'd love to hear! btw, that first shot is my favorite!
there are kits available now. one of the issues s short shelf life of the chemicals so you need to shoot enough to be worhtwhile

the other is temperature. colour needs good temperature control or you can get colour shift
essentially though if you can do b/w and are careful no reason you can't do colour now that they have the easy kits out
E6 is more difficult though there are kits for it as well, and then there is the cutting and mounting of the slides.

12-15-2011, 03:04 PM   #6459
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for Cambridge shots, brought back many memories of a place I love.
12-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #6460

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Thanks for Cambridge shots, brought back many memories of a place I love.
Glad you liked them! I'm growing very fond of Cambridge, too -- especially the riverside.
I'm starting to run out of shots, but here's one more from my first roll of film. I'd just bought the Pentax SV and wasn't expecting much from the cheap film (Superia 200) or the ancient camera, but the results were a pleasant surprise!

This is a poem by Xu Zhimo, who is revered in China, engraved in stone. If I remember correctly, I shot this wide open with the Takumar 55/1.8.

12-15-2011, 07:14 PM   #6461

Yeah, never done B&W before, just jumped straight into colour. It helps that I wasn't - and still am not to a certain extent - overly concerned about perfection when I started. But it's really quite easy. Living the US, you'll have easy access to the chemicals you need in liquid form - I have to buy the powdered form and mix it myself as they won't ship the liquid chemicals across the border, and no one seems to sell them in Canada. I quickly learned to mix them up with distilled water instead of my hard tap water. I've been using the Jobo C-41 Press Kit from B&H.

My setup is really quite simple - I put 400ml of developer in one cheap measuring cup and 400ml of blix in another, and put them both in a plastic tub. I run the electric kettle and fill the tub with water, which heats the chemicals up to the 102 degrees I need. While they're warming up, I load the film into a cheap but good Patterson plastic tank, using a double-lined changing bag (I got everything from B&H online). Once the film is in the tank, it's lightproof, so I can do everything else in the open light. Run the developer in the tank for 3:30 minutes, then the blix for 6:30 minutes, then wash and stabilize, then hang to dry in a steamy bathroom overnight. To be honest, I don't even worry too much about perfection in temperatures and times, and the last three photos in my post were made using long-expired and much-used chemicals. You can get perfection if you put in the effort, but I find this stuff is all far more forgiving than it's made out to be!

What helped me the most was this one video on Vimeo (hope I'm allowed linking here!). It's long, but after watching it, I had the confidence to proceed.

Cheers,
Mark
12-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #6462

Michigan Avenue, September 11, 2011

Pentax 67, 105mm, orange filter, Acros @ 80 in HC110

Last edited by easytiger; 12-15-2011 at 09:25 PM.
12-17-2011, 10:58 PM   #6463
mer

London UK triptych ("For Rose" )

Pentax z-5p + 18-55mm + original fuji velvia ( xpired of course )

12-18-2011, 03:27 AM   #6464
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Incredible use of light Fearview. Beautiful photo.
thank you, Derek

Pentax LX + Kodak Gold + 400 + smc Pentax-F 1:3.5-5.6/70-210
12-18-2011, 05:40 AM   #6465

QuoteOriginally posted by mer Quote
London UK triptych ("For Rose" )

Pentax z-5p + 18-55mm + original fuji velvia ( xpired of course )
That's gorgeous! Well captured, I like the triptych idea.