Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2012, 09:57 PM   #7336
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Back in the U.S.S.R.!

I was scanning these slides to show a couple guys I work with who are Russian, so I might was well also post them here.

The first three are in Moscow and the last three Leningrad (St. Petersburg). All were taken in the summer of 1976 using my KX (K28/3.5, K55/1.8 & K135/3.5) and Kodachrome 64.

Phil
Very cool Phil. I was there in 1981....a few shots with my new (at the time) ME Super.....

And a cokin filter.....

Last edited by SteveM; 08-24-2012 at 02:39 PM.
08-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #7337
Site Supporter

gofour3: What a crazy time to be able to be there and photograph. Love the rich blues.
Aurele: The hair blowing in the wind ,the wide angle, and the sun flair make it pretty epic.
08-23-2012, 04:49 AM   #7338
Veteran Member

@Swift1 - Colton, thanks for looking and the comment. Guess it's time to shoot some slides <G>.

@Phil - Loving the slides from Russia, maybe even more so because of when they were shot. Nice work.

@SteveM - Looks like you and I got ME Supers at about the same time <g>. Thanks for posting the follow-up to Phil's shots. (Wish the photos I took in the 80s were as good as yours. Trust me. They weren't.)

Best,
Kevin
08-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #7339
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Back in the U.S.S.R.!

I was scanning these slides to show a couple guys I work with who are Russian, so I might was well also post them here.

The first three are in Moscow and the last three Leningrad (St. Petersburg). All were taken in the summer of 1976 using my KX (K28/3.5, K55/1.8 & K135/3.5) and Kodachrome 64.
Phil
Great series Phil, was this one of those school trips (my sister in law did one around that year, and i had a freind do one in 77. I went to germany on a school exchange in 76. lived on a farm. basically learned to drink beer at 7am and how to order beer when i went out All I can remember of the language skills

08-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #7340
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
Aurele: The hair blowing in the wind ,the wide angle, and the sun flair make it pretty epic.
Thanks !

Nice set Phil !
08-23-2012, 07:46 AM   #7341
Site Supporter

Thanks guys! I went to Europe in 1976 for 10 weeks on a solo trip I planned myself. I worked for a year saving up after graduating from high school the year before. The USSR was the second last country I visited on the trip. (Finland was the last)

I liked Moscow the best and found the area around Red Square really interesting. (Steve’s shots) I was in the USSR for about two weeks and it was totally safe. (No one would have dared assaulting a tourist back then under the communist government)

The only hassle was dealing with the state run tourist organization “Intourist”. You had to prepay for a hotel class (I did economy class) and had no clue where you were staying beforehand. In my case I was met at the train station in Moscow by an Intourist agent who put me in a cab and told the driver where to take me in Russian. It wasn’t until we arrived at the hotel that I new where I was staying and had no clue where in the city I was. Then they took my passport way for “safe keeping” during my stay!

I ended up having no problems, but it was a bit disconcerting when you were on your first trip totally alone. I’m sure Steve has similar stories on his trip.

Kodachrome was easy to deal with back then, you just had to put the finished roll of film in a prepaid mailer and pop it into the mail. The film went to a certified Kodak processing lab (I think mine went to New Jersey) and half of the rolls I shot on the trip were waiting for me when I got back home.

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 08-23-2012 at 10:12 AM.
08-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #7342
Veteran Member

MX, M 50/1.4, Kodak ColorPlus 200. The last one is with a Tamron 24/2.5
Attached Images

08-24-2012, 08:15 AM   #7343

i have GOT to get a 50/1.4 ...

08-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #7344
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fish4570 Quote
i have GOT to get a 50/1.4 ...
I love my tak 50 1.4 both on apsc and on film
08-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #7345
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
MX, M 50/1.4, Kodak ColorPlus 200. The last one is with a Tamron 24/2.5
I've read bad reviews of this film, but from these examples and others, I can't see what the problem is. The colour seems remarkably natural, not too much grain. Mind you, over here it costs as much as Superia or Gold, so for the same price they might be better.
08-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #7346
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I've read bad reviews of this film, but from these examples and others, I can't see what the problem is. The colour seems remarkably natural, not too much grain. Mind you, over here it costs as much as Superia or Gold, so for the same price they might be better.
I like it fine - I think in past years it may have been a different formulation. The canisters inside the ColorPlus boxes all say Kodacolor, by the way. It says Kodak 200-8 on the edge of the film --- Some Gold and VR rolls have the same edge markings.
08-24-2012, 02:37 PM   #7347
Loyal Site Supporter

I ended up having no problems, but it was a bit disconcerting when you were on your first trip totally alone. I’m sure Steve has similar stories on his trip.
Phil.
Mine was a student exchange trip...although there was no exchange of students per say. I was 15 at the time with another 20 or so 15 year olds and only a few chaperons with us....it was a very exciting trip as you can imagine.

The cost the trip was covered by family and I felt an obligation to make an effort and was quite interested in the museums and the architecture. I, and a few others, were singled out by the authorities, which was un-nerving, until we realized they simply thought we might be interested in seeing a few things that some of the other kids would get bored with. They ushered us out to a small dinner theater in Kiev and we ended up being sent to the opera a different day. Moscow and Leningrad (St. Petersburg) were amazing but my favorite was Kiev with it's cobblestone streets.
08-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #7348
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
@SteveM, thanks for comment. Hoping things get sorted out with the "Traveling K Mount" and looking forward to your shots with the MX. Re the MEF, why did you let it go? I haven't shot one, so I don't have an opinion either way, but I'm liking the tree shot you just posted.

Best,
Kevin
I had 2 silvers and one black. One of the silvers was someone's backup camera that never ended up being used, so I have kept that one and the black one.
08-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #7349
Veteran Member

Long time since I last posted here, found this old photo and thought I'd share it.

08-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #7350
Pentaxian

A couple of months ago I ran across a Sigma AF 24/2.8 in EF mount for what seemed like a superb deal at $25. Thinking I could resell it, I purchased. When I got home, I tried it out on my sisters Rebel XSi and found out it didn't work. After doing some research, I found out that it was an older lens with an old type chip in it which meant it wouldn't work with most Canon DSLRs. Not sure what to do with it, and not wanting to dump a faulty lens on someone else, I decided to buy an old EOS Elan II so I could test the lens. Turns out the lens doesn't quite work properly on that body either. Once again, there is a chip compatibility issue. The lens focuses fine and seems yto work fine but the Elan II can only shoot wide open with the lens, stopping down makes the camera lock up.
After all this, I sure appreciate the simplicity of the good old K mount.
I decided to shoot a test roll (wide open) anyways.

Canon EOS Elan II, Sigma AF 24/2.8 II, Kodak Gold 200