Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #7516
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RubyT Quote
I wish I had had a bouquet like that, that's really cool. Beautiful pictures.
Thanks, That bouquet weighed a ton. But for sure unique.

10-04-2012, 11:55 PM   #7517
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Colton, that's really nice... I just finished a roll with a Voigtlander Dynamatic scale-focus camera, I'm curious to see the results. Funny, I've avoided 35mm scale focus cameras yet use 120 scale focus ones all the time.

Meanwhile, some Pentax output:

MX, M 50/1.4, Fuji 160S

ES-II, S-M-C 35/3.5, Ultramax 400
Hi. More nice work from you!

Its good to see well-done colour neg scans.

John
10-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #7518
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Merzdow Quote
Hey folks! I just recently made a, some might argue insane, switch from DSLR to an almost 20 year old 'Super A' that I found in pristine condition. Here are some of the first shots with Ilford XP2 Super 400 and Kodak T-Max 400 (the last two pictures). Sorry for the quality, I've yet to buy a scanner o fmy own.
Hi. I really like most of your pictures. I think you are making intelligent use of the character of film.

You need not be too apologetic about technical quality, as what you have done has a certain resonance that is more important than technical perfection. Doing your own scanning will give you more control over results, but if I were you, working in your style, I would not try too hard to be a conventional perfectionist.

In much of my own work, I am a perfectionist. It is essential to my style. However, I do admire work that successfully incorporates a certain degree of rawness.

John
10-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #7519

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Gears...

Minolta X-370, Rokkor 50mm f/1.7, Ilford HP +400

I like that shot!
Nice devolped as well.

Henk

10-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #7520

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote

indeed that's insane ! insane that you didn't do it earlier

The Super A is a awesome SLR, just check that when you half press the shutter, the information appear immediatly in the VF (to be sure there is no false contact in the shutter buton.), and make sure you have some new batterie around : mine don't warn when those bi**es are out of power

i almost forgot, welcome among us !

Heheh, I must say, photography has become a whole lot more interesting now that I "retrogressed" technologically.

The shutterspeed info in A mode seems to appear immediately in the VF. Sometimes it takes a little while to appear on the small top lcd, but I don't know if it's maybe caused by some tricky lighting situations? But all in all I have no complaints, it has worked wonderfully for a camera almost 20 years old! I can't imagine it could've worked better even as brand new! I love the big viewfinder, really surprised me with the size and brightness of it after using a DSLR. And it just generally feels super robust, specially when paired with the Pentax prime lenses. Lovely little camera! All modern cameras feel like toys now. The only concerns I have are the winder and self-timer lever, they feel a bit plasticky, but I suppose they'll last just ok in normal use.

Oh, and thanks! I've actually lurked around for a bit, and found very valuable information regarding those old lenses. Seems like a great site

QuoteOriginally posted by poppaneedsanap Quote
looks like you're on the same rewarding path to financial ruin that I'm on.

So far selling the old DSLR has pretty much covered it, I even managed to get some film, chemicals and print paper too with the same investment. But I have a feeling that I might need a few more film cameras to play with, so many interesting possibilities. I definitelly have to try medium format one day! You can't really get away with it, photography can and will get expensive, film or digital But hey, it's money well spent!

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Hi. I really like most of your pictures. I think you are making intelligent use of the character of film.

You need not be too apologetic about technical quality, as what you have done has a certain resonance that is more important than technical perfection. Doing your own scanning will give you more control over results, but if I were you, working in your style, I would not try too hard to be a conventional perfectionist.

In much of my own work, I am a perfectionist. It is essential to my style. However, I do admire work that successfully incorporates a certain degree of rawness.

John

Thanks for your kind words!

I scanned the first pictures from prints with a document scanner at the university, they are ok otherwise but some weird banding appeared in them. And there's also the curious case of the greenish colour shift on the left/lower side. That was the first roll I had developed, to see if the camera's working, so it happened at the photo shop. But I kinda liked it and let it stay in the scans too. And the last two I "scanned" from self-developed prints with my lousy smartphone cam.

I wouldn't consider me a perfectionist either, but I just like to represent the photos as close to reality as possible. That being said, I'm happy if you can see the general idea of them anyway

I just simply love how film gives you so many different "hands-on" ways to influence the outcome compared to digital. Shooting, developing film, developing print. From small things like changing the developer dilution, to manually dodging and burning the picture. Granted, it takes more time than digital workflow, but all the work in the darkroom almost doesn't feel like work. It's just simply not as tedious as sitting in front of the computer adjusting sliders in photo editing software. It's like some weird modern alchemy of photography in the times of digital computers and cameras. Certainly feels like magic when you see your picture appearing out of nowhere in the developer Heheh, I guess I'm a bit of an anachronist

Film really makes me think differently, and I guess that's the main point: it forces you to think how to spend those precious shots on your roll. Thus making me a better and more creative photographer.

Sorry, this became a huge outpouring of the awesomeness of film as a medium, but I think most of you agree at least partly or you wouldn't be here

-Antti
10-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #7521
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
Merdow: Really love your last shot!!!
I am finally getting the colors I want with Fuji 400H. Pentax Super ME with Pentax M 50 1.4

Gorgeous.
10-05-2012, 02:38 AM   #7522

I am finally getting the colors I want with Fuji 400H. Pentax Super ME with Pentax M 50 1.4
Thanks! That's from my bullfighting days at Pamplona. Just kidding. There was this huge wooden statue of a charging bull in a pub. It was probably at least 3m tall and I just sat under it almost without noticing it. Then when I happened to look up, that was the face that look down on me! Just had to take a photo of it

I also find you are getting some pretty neat colours! Esp. in the first picture the vividness is amazing, feels like someone is handing you a bouquet through the monitor!
10-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #7523
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Good pose fearview. Is the flare lower down intentional?
no... :|

it was the lab process engine. they have problem with drying stage.
actualy i almost gave film photography, since i dont have any nearby lab that i can fully trust for the result.

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
fearview, awesome shot!
thanks filo.

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Thanks Hermawan.
As long as I can physically take a photo, I will continue to shoot film. I have been looking through my photos from the last 4+ years (I started shooting in 2008) looking for photos to print for my portfolio, and while my entire collection is probably 50-50 film and digital, probably 70% of my favorites are on film.

That is a great portrait of the girl you posted. Her eyes are amazing and you captured the perfectly.

she is actually a rookie in model shot. but have several potential in her.

hope to shot her for more in future.

10-05-2012, 02:51 AM   #7524
Pentaxian

Pentax ME-F + smc Pentax 1:2.8/30L + Fuji Superia 200

Pentax ME-F + smc Pentax FA 1:1.8/77 L + Fuji Superia 200

from local motor show.

Last edited by fearview; 10-05-2012 at 02:59 AM.
10-05-2012, 11:25 AM   #7525
Pentaxian

By changing exposure technique, scanning technique or PP?
10-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #7526
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
By changing exposure technique, scanning technique or PP?
Scanning. I have a Fuji Frontier SP2500 and I thought I had a certain option turned on for the last three months but just realized it was off just this week. I turned it back on and now am really happy with the results I am getting.
10-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #7527
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Canon EOS A2e, EOS 28-80 3.5-5.6 USM Mk1, Expired Fujichrome Provia 100F
10-06-2012, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #7528

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax MX - 50/1.7 - Fuji Superia 200

10-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #7529
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sometimes it takes a little while to appear on the small top lcd, but I don't know if it's maybe caused by some tricky lighting situations?
The delay is due to some grease that can prevent (when half pressing the shutter buton) the electric contact. As long as it's not each time, don't worry about it. Mine does it when it's fresh or cold only.

The only concerns I have are the winder and self-timer lever, they feel a bit plasticky, but I suppose they'll last just ok in normal use.
both are plastic, but they are quite fantastic
i used it in some really tought place, and every part did hold well the bad treatment.
Don't be afraid of it. And remember those plastic are probably stronger than most of the plastic part of current DSLR !

Oh, and thanks! I've actually lurked around for a bit, and found very valuable information regarding those old lenses. Seems like a great site
indeed, the database is super valuable. Some little gems are in it, and some of those seem hidden to common knowledge

You can't really get away with it, photography can and will get expensive, film or digital But hey, it's money well spent!
and those picture will be more durable than many of the pictures done with DSLR (which are often just erase).

Sorry, this became a huge outpouring of the awesomeness of film as a medium, but I think most of you agree at least partly or you wouldn't be here
Indeed ! but none here would cause trouble for this

Buy film, not megapickles
10-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #7530
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax LX aperture priority, Pentax-M 28mm f2.8, about a 15minute exposure on Kodak Ektar 100 of Hoover Dam and new bypass bridge from the Arizona side parking lot.