Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43141 Likes Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #7636
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Incredible colors Kevin, and it looks like a beautiful area.

PZ-1p, FA 28-70/4, Kodak 200

10-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #7637
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
@montman, glad to see it's a text-only post from you; I was dreading the prospect of following one of your photo posts ;-).

@Colton, that little Pentax P&S is looking good!

Following shots are what are going to pass for my contribution to "Fall in New England 2012". Swift1 and I traded some film - I had some extra Velvia 50 and Colton had some Provia 100; both expired, so we swapped three rolls. Just got my first roll of Provia back from the lab. (My C-41 lab was critical of my E-6 lab's scans last time round, so he suggested I have the E-6 lab process and mount my slides and he would do my scans. Unfortunately, C-41 lab was unavailable, so what follows is my own work with the scanner and LightRoom - I'm pleasantly surprised with the results, but I still think my man Ed does better work ;-)).

SuperProgram, M50 f1.7, Provia 100 expired

Best to all,
Kevin

P. S. More to follow...
Nice work Kevin!
Some gorgeous fall colors you captured.
What are you scanning with?
10-28-2012, 03:06 AM   #7638
Pentaxian

I just got back from a week in Lanzarote. Along with my K200D I had a P30N loaded with Kodak Pro Image 100 (used 2 rolls) and an ME Super loaded with T-Max (used 1 roll). I'm looking forward to seeing the results from the trip. I decided in the end the 645 would be too bulky to take but now that I'm back, I think I would have gotten away with it. Still, 35mm cameras are more enjoyable in use and I got better aquainted with these two models. I especially enjoyed the P30N, it's an extremely comfortable camera to use.
10-28-2012, 04:50 AM   #7639
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Nice work Kevin!
Some gorgeous fall colors you captured.
What are you scanning with?
Thanks, Colton. You're right about the color - I was really blown away. I used my old HPScanJet 4370. Two slides at a time. (I ended up doing them twice as on the first pass, the scans didn't save to the hard drive). Part of the issue was that the scanner is so old, HP has never written a Win7 64 bit driver, but they do offer a substitute; driver and software intended for a later scanner. Software offers you the option to "Scan more images" or "Done", so I opted for "Scan more images". I'm guessing the software saves the scans in a temp file and then writes the permanent file to the HD when you hit "Done". Maybe the scans exceed the capacity of the temp file; maybe it wrote them to some unknown corner of my HD - I did a search, but never found them. Upshot is, I ended up scanning two slides, clicking "Done", and the files were saved exactly where I had told the program to do so. Re-initiated the scanner and did two more, lather, rinse, repeat :-). I then imported the scans into LightRoom for a little sharpening and did some spot-removal in the skies - I'm sure I missed some.

Took the slides to my C-41 lab yesterday for my buddy Ed Hughes at PhotoImages to do a proper job. I'm not unhappy with my results, but the images on the slides are sooo clean - definition of leaves and branches is much better than what I got out of the scanner - that I wanted something closer to what I was looking at when I held the slide up to the light.

Best,
Kevin

10-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #7640
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Incredible colors Kevin, and it looks like a beautiful area.

PZ-1p, FA 28-70/4, Kodak 200

@builttospill, Nice contribution from you, too. Really like the portrait of the little girl. Most of the portraits I end up doing are head shots or event shooting, so they end up being digital. Rarely have the opportunity to shoot people on film. Most of the slides are from Cedar Hill Cemetery, which is one of my favorite photo haunts; it's a garden cemetery designed by an apprentice of Frederick Law Olmstead. It's the final resting place of several Hartford luminaries, among the more famous of them are Samuel Colt, Charles Dudley Warner (co-author w/ Mark Twain of The Gilded Age), and Katherine Hepburn. Couple are from my condo complex.

Best,
Kevin
10-28-2012, 05:10 AM   #7641
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I just got back from a week in Lanzarote. Along with my K200D I had a P30N loaded with Kodak Pro Image 100 (used 2 rolls) and an ME Super loaded with T-Max (used 1 roll). I'm looking forward to seeing the results from the trip. I decided in the end the 645 would be too bulky to take but now that I'm back, I think I would have gotten away with it. Still, 35mm cameras are more enjoyable in use and I got better aquainted with these two models. I especially enjoyed the P30N, it's an extremely comfortable camera to use.
@Jonathan Mac - we'll be looking forward to them, too. Make sure you post some of the shots here.

Best,
Kevin
10-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #7642
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks, Colton. You're right about the color - I was really blown away. I used my old HPScanJet 4370. Two slides at a time. (I ended up doing them twice as on the first pass, the scans didn't save to the hard drive). Part of the issue was that the scanner is so old, HP has never written a Win7 64 bit driver, but they do offer a substitute; driver and software intended for a later scanner. Software offers you the option to "Scan more images" or "Done", so I opted for "Scan more images". I'm guessing the software saves the scans in a temp file and then writes the permanent file to the HD when you hit "Done". Maybe the scans exceed the capacity of the temp file; maybe it wrote them to some unknown corner of my HD - I did a search, but never found them. Upshot is, I ended up scanning two slides, clicking "Done", and the files were saved exactly where I had told the program to do so. Re-initiated the scanner and did two more, lather, rinse, repeat :-). I then imported the scans into LightRoom for a little sharpening and did some spot-removal in the skies - I'm sure I missed some.

Took the slides to my C-41 lab yesterday for my buddy Ed Hughes at PhotoImages to do a proper job. I'm not unhappy with my results, but the images on the slides are sooo clean - definition of leaves and branches is much better than what I got out of the scanner - that I wanted something closer to what I was looking at when I held the slide up to the light.

Best,
Kevin
I wonder if VueScan would work for you. You could find out at no cost with a trial download at VueScan Scanner Software for Windows 8, Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion), Linux, iPhone, iPad, iPod This site also lists supported scanners.

10-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #7643
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In a week, my little girl Etta will be 4 years old. They grow up way to fast.
This is a photo of her I took in June 2010.

Pentax SV
Super Takumar 55/1.8
Kodachrome

10-28-2012, 01:07 PM   #7644
Veteran Member

@grhazelton, Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I took a look at the VueScan site and it looks like for the 4370, I'll have to use the 32-bit version of the software. For the amount of scanning I do (very little), I think I'll save the $40 and put it towards an Epson V500 or 700 :-)

Best,
Kevin
10-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #7645
Veteran Member

@Colton, another nice portrait of Etta. (I was reading and responding to grhazelton's post when I ended up getting involve with the cable company. 'Nuff said). Came back, finished my post, and there she was.

Best,
Kevin
10-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #7646
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
@grhazelton, Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I took a look at the VueScan site and it looks like for the 4370, I'll have to use the 32-bit version of the software. For the amount of scanning I do (very little), I think I'll save the $40 and put it towards an Epson V500 or 700 :-)

Best,
Kevin
I have the V700. It's probably the best choice for the money. I've made 13 x 19 from 3500 dpi scans from C-41 pix taken with my LX. Being able to scan 24 negs at once is nice, just set it, have a cuppa or whatever, and in 45 minutes or so, depending on whether you're using ICE your're done.

Now, a dedicated film scanner would be nice, but...OMG the cost!
10-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #7647
Pentaxian

A couple of sunflower shots on Portra 160 and PP'd in Paintshop Pro X4 to sharpen and try (unsuccessfully) to get a half-decent colour balance.

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 10-28-2012 at 03:49 PM.
10-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #7648
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

builttospill: Really like the colors you are getting from the Kodak 200.
Swift1: Love the expression!
Jonathan Mac: I like the back lighting on the flower.
10-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #7649
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I have the V700. It's probably the best choice for the money. I've made 13 x 19 from 3500 dpi scans from C-41 pix taken with my LX. Being able to scan 24 negs at once is nice, just set it, have a cuppa or whatever, and in 45 minutes or so, depending on whether you're using ICE your're done.

Now, a dedicated film scanner would be nice, but...OMG the cost!
Thanks for the endorsement of the V700; it seems like the best compromise. And being able to scan 24 negs while you wait would be worth the price of admission. gr, maybe you have some advice for Jonathan Mac on his color balance issues.

@Jonathan Mac, just a thought, but you said you don't have anything turned on except dust removal and you're having color issues. Maybe it's time to start turning some stuff "on". Composition is great in your sunflower shots. It would be the icing on the cake if you could get your colors where you want them. Maybe some of our hot-shot scanners (and V500 owners) will have a fix for you. Sorry I'm not much help.

Best,
Kevin
10-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #7650
Pentaxian

@builttospill, Nice contribution from you, too. Really like the portrait of the little girl. Most of the portraits I end up doing are head shots or event shooting, so they end up being digital.
Thanks Kevin. I was just finishing up a shooting a portrait session, on digital. I chose the park as the location so I could take my kids and let them play while I took photos. After completing the shoot I pulled out the PZ-1p to finish off the roll with my kids. I like this one because when I point the camera in her direction she's quick to stick her tongue out or make a face, so it's very difficult to get a nice portrait of her.

You're lucky your condo is so close to such a beautiful place.

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
In a week, my little girl Etta will be 4 years old. They grow up way to fast.
This is a photo of her I took in June 2010.
Kodachrome
Colton, very nice. The Kodachrome is something, isn't it? Looking at the picture makes me feel like I'm right there. I think you and I are very close in age. My little Lyla, pictured above in my last post, will be turning 4 in a couple weeks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A couple of sunflower shots on Portra 160 and PP'd in Paintshop Pro X4 to sharpen and try (unsuccessfully) to get a half-decent colour balance.
These are great. I love the colors, especially the first one.

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
builttospill: Really like the colors you are getting from the Kodak 200.
Thanks. I always enjoy your shots posted here too. You are very good at wedding photos with film.