Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #7681
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think everyone should try any film they fancy. Enjoy the variety while you can.
I agree.
For me film is like beer or wine. While I love Mirror Pond Pale Ale, I also love trying new different beers.

11-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #7682
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I agree.
For me film is like beer or wine. While I love Mirror Pond Pale Ale, I also love trying new different beers.
After a lengthy hiatus from film, I'm loving all the film types talked about here to try.
11-07-2012, 01:42 AM - 1 Like   #7683
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think everyone should try any film they fancy. Enjoy the variety while you can.
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I agree.
For me film is like beer or wine.
exactly my thoughts

QuoteOriginally posted by henkvanzuylen Quote
Last month I've made the decision that I only use film from the Ilford brand...not cheap, but good quality and hopefully the brand with the best future (now Kodak is in 'heavy weather')
support them by buying the new portra 160 (i really enjoy this film and it's color rendering btw )
11-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #7684
Forum Member

so my friend let me borrow her dad yashica 635 tlr (rolleiflex copy) and i took a few rolls. two of them came out with nice results (kodak t-max 400 and acros 100) but the ilford hp5 plus 400 has these strange vertical "splotches". any ideas what it might be? the film was not expired. bad scan???

Attached Images

11-07-2012, 10:42 PM   #7685
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wehavenowaves! Quote
so my friend let me borrow her dad yashica 635 tlr (rolleiflex copy) and i took a few rolls. two of them came out with nice results (kodak t-max 400 and acros 100) but the ilford hp5 plus 400 has these strange vertical "splotches". any ideas what it might be? the film was not expired. bad scan???
Seemsto me something has gone wrong with the developing from the film.
The developer wasn't eqeal spread on the film I guess

Henk
11-08-2012, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #7686
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In my experience, my first suspect is the fixer... and this is easy to test - take a strip of film and re-fix in fresh fixer. It that clears the problem, great. if not... then the developer / agitation might be the next culprit. Or possibly something with the scanner.

Here is an extreme example:

11-08-2012, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #7687
Veteran Member

tri-x, mx, fa 43/1.9

11-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #7688
Veteran Member

Hello WeHaveNoWaves
Is your shot of Songbo?
Here are 2 from the rear side of Songbo with The XR_Rikenon 1:1.4 50 mm and Fuji 135 X-Tra 400
The night shot was, as I recall, with the lens at f/2 and 1/45th hand held
Attached Images

11-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #7689
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect insufficient agitation. The general agitation recommendation is 30 seconds initially, then 10 seconds per minute. Without agitation the developer becomes locally exhausted and perhaps even stratified or layered, the emulsion thus isn't developed evenly. Are you developing with replenishment, or "one-shot?" With D-76, for instance the stock solution can either be replenished, or diluted 1 to 1 and discarded after use. Many of us prefer one-shot, since developer is relatively cheap.

An advantage of 1 to 1 is that the developing time is longer, so small errors in timing make little or no difference.

The Yashica is a nice box, isn't it? Is this the one with a 35mm adaptor? If so, did you use it? I don't really see how that could make a difference, but... other members may find the information useful. Although if the adaptor is the problem it should affect all rolls, not just one.
11-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #7690
Forum Member

wombat i dont know where songbo is... that picture is from Busan, South Korea. thanks for the help guys. its seems that most folks feel that strange effect is due to a development error. i dont develop my own film. these were however developed in a pro lab (quite expensive i might add!) i plan to develop my own photos when i return home. i just cant justify buying the chemicals when i know i will relocate sooner rather than later.
11-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #7691
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
Once I get it dialed in I will start offering services to people on the Pentax Forum but it will probably be another month or two. I have been running a Fuji Frontier SP2500 all summer to scan my wedding stuff. I picked up a Noritsu scanner as well in a deal with a photo lab that was closing. I will only be able to do color for now but I plan on purchasing a commercial E6 processor come summer time.
I'd send some film your way. I have a roll of E-6 I haven't shot yet because I'm not sure where I want to send it yet.

My guy at the lab is planning on opening up his own shop in two years, so until then...
11-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #7692
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

wombat i dont know where songbo is... that picture is from Busan, South Korea. thanks for the help guys. its seems that most folks feel that strange effect is due to a development error. i dont develop my own film. these were however developed in a pro lab (quite expensive i might add!) i plan to develop my own photos when i return home. i just cant justify buying the chemicals when i know i will relocate sooner rather than later.
I'd show it to the lab. They should really reimburse you for the cost of processing AND give you a replacement roll of film. Some serious self-scourging and lashing would be appropriate. This is truly inexcusable if the negatives show this flaw. Go git 'em!
11-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #7693
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
Once I get it dialed in I will start offering services to people on the Pentax Forum but it will probably be another month or two. I have been running a Fuji Frontier SP2500 all summer to scan my wedding stuff. I picked up a Noritsu scanner as well in a deal with a photo lab that was closing. I will only be able to do color for now but I plan on purchasing a commercial E6 processor come summer time.
Wowzer! Most of the local C-41 soupers have gone away, and E-6? Don't make me laugh! Especially if you might want 645 slides mounted. Keep us informed, I'd like to find a good lab and I certainly wouldn't mind helping a fellow Pentaxian! You would accept film shot in non-Pentax boxes? Please....
11-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #7694
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is from another test roll I shot with my recently acquired Zenza Bronica S2. Film was a very expired roll of Fuji Pro 800 NHG II.

11-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #7695
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fantastic!