Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2012, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #7741
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
Great shot montman. What were the colours like from the expired Portra?

P67, Takumar 105/2.4, Fuji Superia 400, Epson 4870
Nice separation with the 105/ 2.4

11-22-2012, 02:22 AM   #7742
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
it's been long time since my last post and i really wanted to say : really great work guys !

Colton : seems you felt into the EOS lba anyway, the picture you did are really nice and remind me that autumn can be beautiful ... when it don't rain !
i especialy like the 3 pictures P515, when you say that the 28-80 is your only EF lens, but my favorite is from this post
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
More Gold from the EOS A2e.
P516. Awesome and very ... relaxing!

Montman : astonishing picture of brides and groom ! i especially love the N10, page 515 (the groom and bride kissing with mountain on the back, and flower petals on the flour, on the front.)
i'm single but i'd want to be married to have some beautiful picture like those with me ! AHAHAH !
you're little girl is really cute too ! the boy, make sure he don't fall on the dark side

Wuzet : when i see your picture with the DA 40 it make me think that ishould use it more on film !

Rob1234 : simple but really nice ! i really like the bicyle picture too : i like the graphical effect of the grass and the old school ride. those rides are the best. Do you enjoy your 67 ?

From a recent party, i tried to push 3 stops the Portra 160. Work well

SuperA / DA*55 probably @1.4 / Kodak Portra 160 @1250.

all this time almost made me forgot how much i love to shoot film, way more than digital !
11-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #7743
Site Supporter

Aurele: Really like how you framed it kind of tight, looks great to be Portra 160 pushed to 1250!
11-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #7744
Veteran Member

A Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating today. One of the many things I find myself grateful for today is the on-going source of photographic inspiration and information that is this thread.

Had a free day to go shoot last weekend and thought it was time to take the ZX-5n out for a spin. Upon turning the camera on, I was disappointed to see the battery indicator showing the two CR2 batteries as almost spent. I was about to reach for the "go to" SuperProgram and then I remembered that Woof had included the AA powered battery grip when I purchased the camera three years ago. (Had already purchased the CR2s while waiting for the arrival of the ZX-5n, so I decided to install them and hold off on using the grip). I installed the grip and batteries, and lo, the scales fell from my eyes...

I've said many times on this forum, that while the ZX-5n has always delivered great images for me, it isn't my favorite camera to shoot. It still isn't my favorite, but the grip is a real game-changer. Dramatically changes the feel of the camera and it's a real joy to hold.

ZX-5n, Kodak UltraMax 400, Sigma 20mm f1.8 (Man, after APS-C, 20mm is wwwiiiiiddde on film)

As have many before me, to all of you using MZ/ZX cameras, I highly recommend the battery grip FG. (Never really understood the idea of a grip, particularly with Pentax' commitment to smaller bodies, but now I'm entertaining thoughts of putting one on my K5).

Best to all,
Kevin

11-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #7745
Veteran Member

Couple more from the same roll...

ZX-5n, Sigma 20mm f1.8, UltraMax 400

Seldom use the panorama feature, but had to give it a try on this one...

Best to all,
Kevin
11-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #7746
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote

Great job and I'm going to have to give that a try!

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
A Happy Thanksgiving to all who are celebrating today. One of the many things I find myself grateful for today is the on-going source of photographic inspiration and information that is this thread.

ZX-5n, Kodak UltraMax 400, Sigma 20mm f1.8 (Man, after APS-C, 20mm is wwwiiiiiddde on film)
Kevin
Hear, hear as there is a lot to be thankful for like trying out some UltraMax!
11-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #7747
Site Supporter

it's been long time since my last post and i really wanted to say : really great work guys !

Colton : seems you felt into the EOS lba anyway, the picture you did are really nice and remind me that autumn can be beautiful ... when it don't rain !
i especialy like the 3 pictures P515, when you say that the 28-80 is your only EF lens, but my favorite is from this post

Montman : astonishing picture of brides and groom ! i especially love the N10, page 515 (the groom and bride kissing with mountain on the back, and flower petals on the flour, on the front.)
i'm single but i'd want to be married to have some beautiful picture like those with me ! AHAHAH !
you're little girl is really cute too ! the boy, make sure he don't fall on the dark side

Wuzet : when i see your picture with the DA 40 it make me think that ishould use it more on film !

Rob1234 : simple but really nice ! i really like the bicyle picture too : i like the graphical effect of the grass and the old school ride. those rides are the best. Do you enjoy your 67 ?

all this time almost made me forgot how much i love to shoot film, way more than digital !
Very nice!

Couple more from the same roll...

ZX-5n, Sigma 20mm f1.8, UltraMax 400

Seldom use the panorama feature, but had to give it a try on this one...

Best to all,
Kevin
Great series Kevin!

Phil
11-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #7748
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Thank Aurele!
I'm a little ashamed for joining the dark side (Canon), but I have to admit I'm enjoying it
I've only bought one lens and the one body, the A2e was given to me. My hands are getting worse due to ALS and Ive found the bigger EOS bodies easier to hold and use.
Considering what an A2e sells for these days, they are a superb bargain and in many ways are better spec'ed than the PZ-1p. They are huge though and unfortunetly aren't K mount

Had a free day to go shoot last weekend and thought it was time to take the ZX-5n out for a spin. Upon turning the camera on, I was disappointed to see the battery indicator showing the two CR2 batteries as almost spent. I was about to reach for the "go to" SuperProgram and then I remembered that Woof had included the AA powered battery grip when I purchased the camera three years ago. (Had already purchased the CR2s while waiting for the arrival of the ZX-5n, so I decided to install them and hold off on using the grip). I installed the grip and batteries, and lo, the scales fell from my eyes...

I've said many times on this forum, that while the ZX-5n has always delivered great images for me, it isn't my favorite camera to shoot. It still isn't my favorite, but the grip is a real game-changer. Dramatically changes the feel of the camera and it's a real joy to hold.

As have many before me, to all of you using MZ/ZX cameras, I highly recommend the battery grip FG. (Never really understood the idea of a grip, particularly with Pentax' commitment to smaller bodies, but now I'm entertaining thoughts of putting one on my K5).

Best to all,
Kevin
Happy Thanksgiving to you Kevin, great stuff from the ZX-5n and Sigma 20/1.8

11-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #7749
Veteran Member

@Colton, thanks for the kind comments on the photos and the Thanksgiving greeting. The same to you and yours. Glad you are enjoying the Canons. We've been enjoying what you've been gettng out of them <g>.I have an AE-1 that I like, although haven't shot it for a dog's age and an EOS Rebel 2000 that a friend gave to me, but I'm not in love with the lens on it. (Kit something-or-other), but I may have to revisit it after hearing of your experience. The one feature on all the "auto" bodies that I really miss on the manual ones is matrix metering. Center-weighted is OK and I've wrapped my head around it, but evaluative is so much better. Probably a hangover from having done so much of my learning on digital.

@LesDMess - UltraMax400 has treated me pretty well. It's cheap (when on sale) and readily available to me (CVS). If I want to shoot anything better, I have to go out of my way. That being said, I truly miss Fuji Reala 100 - wish I had bought more of it when I had the chance.

@Phil - thanks for taking a look and the time to comment.

Best,
Kevin
11-22-2012, 10:44 AM   #7750
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
Aurele: Really like how you framed it kind of tight, looks great to be Portra 160 pushed to 1250!
thanks

i got mixed result however : i got like red noise on some picture. could'nt find out if it was the scanner or the film. Grain is very different from B&W. Next time i will push it to 800 iso and process @1250 to get more room on the scanner and the results.

the grip is really nice and somehow very economical and YEEEEEEEAH ! 20mm is wide, 18 even more
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Great job and I'm going to have to give that a try!
as said above, maybe exposing it @800 and pushing it to 1250 iso could be slightly better to avoid noise in the red channel.

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Very nice!
thanks !

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Thank Aurele!
I'm a little ashamed for joining the dark side (Canon), but I have to admit I'm enjoying it
Well, Canon bodies are quite good, especially when it comes to AF. Don't be ashamed to try other things, even more if you like it and/or need it
There is no dark side in film photography, only film and pleasure

Last edited by aurele; 11-22-2012 at 10:53 AM.
11-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #7751
Veteran Member

What would you all suggest for reading material about pushing/pulling film?
11-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #7752
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
For specific films go to the manufactures web site. They have technical documents on each film with loads of info on developing and pushing/pulling.

Phil.
11-23-2012, 07:28 AM   #7753
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
For specific films go to the manufactures web site. They have technical documents on each film with loads of info on developing and pushing/pulling.

Phil.
Phil is right. for example, here is the Kodak portra 160 datasheet.
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/e4051/e4051.pdf
6 pages, with exposure in daylight, under flash, which filter use under fluorescente light, how to scan, how much you can do enlargement, curves of RGB.

All manufacturer don't give as much information, but still you can find a lot of things like this.
11-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #7754
Veteran Member

Phil.
Phil is right. for example, here is the Kodak portra 160 datasheet.
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/e4051/e4051.pdf
6 pages, with exposure in daylight, under flash, which filter use under fluorescente light, how to scan, how much you can do enlargement, curves of RGB.

All manufacturer don't give as much information, but still you can find a lot of things like this.
I guess I meant how it affects the results, the purpose, and what you can do with it by doing something other than loading the film and setting the ASA/ISO speed and properly exposing.
11-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #7755
Pentaxian

The purpose of pushing a film is to allow you to achieve higher shutter speed or smaller f stop settings depending on lighting conditions. A 100 speed film pushed 2X becomes a 400 speed film and you meter accordingly. You instruct the developer to process the film at 400 speed and generally speaking the results are more grain and contrast. How much will depend on the individual film.
Pulling film is the opposite. A 400 speed film pulled 2X will now be 100 speed - set your iso and meter accordingly, and instruct the developer to process at 100 speed. Results are generally less grain and contrast but again depends on the individual film.

Of course most all b&w and negative film offers so much latitude setting ISO over or under 2 stops requires no special processing - just straight up at box speed, and apply dodge and burn or post processing as needed. Examples below of some film's ultra wide latitude requiring no special developing.

Link to larger res -> http://www.fototime.com/5662A1CA253B2E0/orig.jpg

Link to larger res -> http://www.fototime.com/B1379B2FE749C83/orig.jpg