Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2012, 11:33 AM   #7756
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The purpose of pushing a film is to allow you to achieve higher shutter speed or smaller f stop settings depending on lighting conditions. A 100 speed film pushed 2X becomes a 400 speed film and you meter accordingly. You instruct the developer to process the film at 400 speed and generally speaking the results are more grain and contrast. How much will depend on the individual film.
Pulling film is the opposite. A 400 speed film pulled 2X will now be 100 speed - set your iso and meter accordingly, and instruct the developer to process at 100 speed. Results are generally less grain and contrast but again depends on the individual film.

Of course most all b&w and negative film offers so much latitude setting ISO over or under 2 stops requires no special processing - just straight up at box speed, and apply dodge and burn or post processing as needed. Examples below of some film's ultra wide latitude requiring no special developing.

Link to larger res -> http://www.fototime.com/5662A1CA253B2E0/orig.jpg

Link to larger res -> http://www.fototime.com/B1379B2FE749C83/orig.jpg
And you have to process the whole roll that way? I guess my question about exposing 400 film at 100 or 100 film at 400, why not just shoot the film appropriate to the lighting unless you don't have/can't get tht speed? This is why I was asking for reading material to prevent everyone from giving a soup to nuts education.

11-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #7757
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
And you have to process the whole roll that way? I guess my question about exposing 400 film at 100 or 100 film at 400, why not just shoot the film appropriate to the lighting unless you don't have/can't get tht speed? This is why I was asking for reading material to prevent everyone from giving a soup to nuts education.
When you decide to shoot something at a defined speed, you have to keep the same speed for the whole roll, because you process the whole roll, not picture after picture.

Why change the speed ? i see 3 reasons :

- you have already loaded a film say 400 iso B&W but suddenly you realise that 400 iso won't be fast enought, so you change the speed before shooting the first picture and you stay with this new speed.

- You like the reduced dynamic range and increased contrast, or shift that can happened in color cast.

- it cost less to buy a 400 iso film and push it to 1600 in lab than just buy a 1600 iso film and process it at base speed.

For the pulling, i've never done it before but i guess the reduction of the contrast mean you could somehow have a wider dynamic range. could be nice for B&W.
11-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #7758
Pentaxian

The effect / result is a personal choice.

Your workflow - digital or analog, may influence your choices.

You can cut partial roll.

If you don't have the apropriate film with you you're not limited.
11-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #7759
Pentaxian

I guess I'll have to experiment. I have most of what I need to develop B&W myself and a scanner is on my to buy list. There are only two places within 2 hours I know of that process B&W and both charge extra for pushing/pulling per stop.

I'll have to do more research and see how the results compare. I'm intrigued.

11-23-2012, 12:51 PM   #7760
Pentaxian

A colleague tested TMAX100 up to 6400 and higher, but i can't post a link to his results.
11-23-2012, 03:40 PM   #7761
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Finished my third roll with my Bronica S2 (first roll of decent non expired film), this is one of the first from the roll.

Zenza Bronica S2, Nikkor-P 75/2.8, Kodak New Portra 400
11-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #7762
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Colton, fresh Portra is looking good in the "new" Bronica, but to be honest, that expired Fuji 800 NHG looked every bit as good. Granted, we're looking at it via the web on a screen.

Best,
Kevin

Last edited by KJon; 11-23-2012 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Tweak the post.
11-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #7763
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Colton, fresh Portra is looking good in the "new" Bronica, but to be honest, that expired Fuji 800 NHG looked every bit as good. Granted, we're looking at it via the web on a screen.

Best,
Kevin
Thanks Kevin.
The Fuji 800 gave me a hell of a time scanning. The Kodak was definitely easier.

11-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #7764
Veteran Member

Finished off the second roll from my romp with the ZX-5n last weekend over Thanksgiving. First half of the roll was shot at Cedar Hill Cemetery with the FA50 f1.4 and I was shocked to see that despite Hurricane Sandy and the following Nor'easter, a couple of the trees still retain their leaves...

UltraMax 400

...and a couple weren't so fortunate.

Funny thing is that both these trees survived the storms and came down afterward.

Best to all,
Kevin
11-24-2012, 05:37 AM   #7765
Veteran Member

Last half of the roll was shot at parents where my wife and I enjoyed a quiet Thanksgiving dinner with just the four of us...

ZX-5n, FA50 f1.4, UltraMax 400 (Metz 58 - finally starting to wrap my head around flash on film)

One from my dad...

What I am most thankful for...

Thanks to all for taking a look. (Not sure what the green line is at the top of the frame - it appears in the scan and very faintly in the print. Guess I'll have to take a hard look at the negative and see if it's there, too).

Best,
Kevin
11-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #7766
Pentaxian

Beautiful Kevin! Looks like there is plenty to be thankful for!
11-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #7767
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Last half of the roll was shot at parents where my wife and I enjoyed a quiet Thanksgiving dinner with just the four of us...

ZX-5n, FA50 f1.4, UltraMax 400 (Metz 58 - finally starting to wrap my head around flash on film)

One from my dad...

What I am most thankful for...

Thanks to all for taking a look. (Not sure what the green line is at the top of the frame - it appears in the scan and very faintly in the print. Guess I'll have to take a hard look at the negative and see if it's there, too).

Best,
Kevin
Great set Kevin! Thanks for sharing.
11-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #7768
Pentaxian

Bubbles!

This was shot handheld indoors on a rather dull day. The Bronica's focus screen is quite dim so actually seeing focus was near impossible, not to mention the vf is a bit inaccurate anyways, so this shot was metered and focused using the W.A.G. (Wild Ass Guess) method.

Zenza Bronica S2
Nippon Kogaku Nikkor-P 75/2.8
Kodak New Portra 400

11-24-2012, 05:46 PM - 1 Like   #7769
Site Supporter

As usual, the work displayed in this thread inspires me to improve my skills. Someday, I may be worthy.

In the meantime, here are a few recent shots using the K2.

Mums, M28/3.5, Kodak Gold 200, Dwayne's processed and scanned

Manny the Mischiever, M28/3.5, Kodak Gold 200, Dwayne's processed and scanned
Manny is my only troublesome goat. We needed to build a bigger fence for him, as he could jump the original one.

Disinterested, M150, Fuji 200, Dwayne's processed and scanned (cross-posted here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/189972-gearheads-unite-18.html)
Taken at the local race track. Apparently there wasn't enough action for this spectator.

55 Chevy, M28/3.5, Kodak Gold 100, Dwayne's processed and scanned (also cross-posted in Gearheads Unite)
One of many classic cars on display at the race track.

cheers,
Fred
11-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #7770
Veteran Member

Fred, thanks for posting these. Really nice shots - I particularly like Manny and "Disinterested". I've yet to have your luck with Kodak Gold 200. I'm really happy with my local lab, so whatever issues I'm having with it are my fault, although it looks like it (and Dwayne's) are treating you pretty well. I have the M28 f3.5, too. Great lens that I don't shoot near often enough.

Best,
Kevin