Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #8071
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nild Quote
I also sometimes photograph my negatives… You can do a lot colour correction by adjusting the white balance on the camera. But sometimes it is really hard to get nice colours. So mostly I let my negatives profesionally scanned. Costs a bit of money but I don't have to scan and colourcorrect them which costs me easily an hour or more per 36-images film.
Scanning or photographing slides is much easier by the way.

Pentax MX + Revuenon 55/1.2
Ektar 100
Love the second shot! Love the color, the bokeh, framing, just great!

03-13-2013, 10:03 AM   #8072
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First roll of CineStill 500T Film. Botched the whole whole, missed focus on every shot. Here is one at ISO 800 1/15 of a second. This film is crazy, you can shoot it from 200 ISO to 1200 ish without out having to push or pull it it, it just comes out. This was taken in my living room under one of the lights. Pretty happy with the WB for film indoors.

Pentax LX | Pentax A 50 1.2 | Portra 160

Link to CineStill film if you are interested.
500Tungsten Xpro C41 5 rolls ProPack Kodak 500T 5219 by CineStill
03-13-2013, 08:50 PM - 4 Likes   #8073
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I last visited my grandfather (Christmas), we got to talking about cameras and photography, and he told me about all the old slides he had. After talking with him about the slides I offered to scan them for him. He is now 89 years old and I imagine that he hadn't seen them since the last time he setup a projector, which could have been in the 60s for all I know, so I figured he would really enjoy seeing them.
I've now scanned 13 sets of slides (15-20 slides per set) All were shot between 1957 and 1959 and I'm amazed at how well the slides have held up for over 50 years. Nearly all were Kodachrome and have retained their colors superbly. One set has terrible red cast. My grandfathers notes list that set as being Ektachrome that went bad some time ago.

I thought it would be cool to share the odd one here, with my grandfathers approval of course.

Here is my grandfather in 1959 standing next to his 1955 Ford Country Sedan Station Wagon.
Photograph most likely taken by my grandmother using my grandfather Minolta rangefinder (A-2 possibly), on Kodachrome.
03-13-2013, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #8074
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
When I last visited my grandfather (Christmas), we got to talking about cameras and photography, and he told me about all the old slides he had. After talking with him about the slides I offered to scan them for him. He is now 89 years old and I imagine that he hadn't seen them since the last time he setup a projector, which could have been in the 60s for all I know, so I figured he would really enjoy seeing them.
I've now scanned 13 sets of slides (15-20 slides per set) All were shot between 1957 and 1959 and I'm amazed at how well the slides have held up for over 50 years. Nearly all were Kodachrome and have retained their colors superbly. One set has terrible red cast. My grandfathers notes list that set as being Ektachrome that went bad some time ago.

I thought it would be cool to share the odd one here, with my grandfathers approval of course.

Here is my grandfather in 1959 standing next to his 1955 Ford Country Sedan Station Wagon.
Photograph most likely taken by my grandmother using my grandfather Minolta rangefinder (A-2 possibly), on Kodachrome.
Wow! The quality is outstanding. What I would give to find some old negs of my dad.

03-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #8075
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
First roll of CineStill 500T Film. Botched the whole whole, missed focus on every shot. Here is one at ISO 800 1/15 of a second. This film is crazy, you can shoot it from 200 ISO to 1200 ish without out having to push or pull it it, it just comes out. This was taken in my living room under one of the lights. Pretty happy with the WB for film indoors.

Pentax LX | Pentax A 50 1.2 | Portra 160

Link to CineStill film if you are interested.
500Tungsten Xpro C41 5 rolls ProPack Kodak 500T 5219 by CineStill
Interesting film and great results!

Phil.
03-13-2013, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #8076
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice, what a great Kodachrome shot!

Phil.
03-14-2013, 12:59 AM - 1 Like   #8077
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is my grandfather in 1959 standing next to his 1955 Ford Country Sedan Station Wagon. Photograph most likely taken by my grandmother using my grandfather Minolta rangefinder (A-2 possibly), on Kodachrome.
Fantastic. Note the water cooler on the front. Long live Kodachrome.

03-14-2013, 01:28 AM   #8078
Pentaxian

I offered to scan them for him
Wow..what a great treasure!
03-14-2013, 02:59 AM - 1 Like   #8079
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's fantastic, Colton! And it gives me the idea to ask my mother about old slides. I agree, great quality. I like that cooler bag, too, never saw one before. I do remember cars like that though.
03-14-2013, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #8080
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've now scanned 13 sets of slides (15-20 slides per set) All were shot between 1957 and 1959
I did the same thing with my Great-Grandparents' slides a little more than three years ago! WHEW! 596 slides in all, dating from 1945 - 1960-ish. I inherited the slides, and 72 home movies, from my Grand-Father's estate. Since I am the family 'camera nut', my relatives decided it best to intrust the slides and film to me to be digitized and safely stored.

Most of the slides where kodachrome and most of them had a very stong Blue cast, which I corrected the best I could with MS picture manager (the only PP SW I had at the time). I have since discovered Picassa SW and bought a Plustek film scanner (I think it can also scan slides), and would like to re-scan and re-post-prossess all of the slides.

The slides themselves are mostly California/Arizona vacation and holiday pictures taken in the 1950's. While scanning & prosessing the slides, I kept thinking to myself, "We have got to go see these places!". Hence, our own recent trips to Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Park, and our future plans to visit The Grand Canyon, Bryce, Moab, The Painted Desert, ...

I will add a few of the scans to this post this weekend. None of my scans are as clear and sharp as the one posted by Colton. I do not know what type of camera my Great-Grand parents used, but I suspect it was not very high quailty. I do not think the viewfinder and lens were lined up very well as many heads were cut off. And, my Great-Grand parents were not great photographers either ; most of the slides are not in sharp focus, are under or over exposed, and many shots are tilted.

This is a snapshot of my Great-Grand Parents (from one of their slides) who are the parents of my Grand Father's 2nd wife, a woman us step-grand-kids grew to adore. This slide was labled Nov.1959 with no names or location, so I do not know who the children are, though I am pretty sure they are fellow grand kids.

This vacation slide is from 1955, and was labled "snow on Mt.Humphrey, from Kit Carson camp, Flagstaff 55".

This slide is of Bryce Canyon, it was taken in 1955 during my Great-Grand Parents Arizonia/Utah vacation. I wiki'd Bryce Canyon for a few more images just now, and WOW I need to get a few of my film cameras over there soon! Judging from the on-line images, this slide needs a bit more red.

More of my Great-Grand Parents slides are in my album here at PF labled "Kodachrome Slides".

Last edited by Moe49; 04-21-2013 at 07:16 AM.
03-14-2013, 03:39 PM - 2 Likes   #8081
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is my grandfather in 1959 standing next to his 1955 Ford Country Sedan Station Wagon. Photograph most likely taken by my grandmother using my grandfather Minolta rangefinder (A-2 possibly), on Kodachrome.
Looking at this slide, taken by a manual camera with a fixed lens, and seeing the quality of the picture, doesn't it make the fuss one hears about the latest auto focus lens seem overdone? I love a natural looking picture, where any PP has only been done to restore what has been lost rather than manufacturing a new digital image with "artistic" inputs.
I hope to see more slides from the past. Here is one taken by my father, of my sister in 1961.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
CanoScan 9000F  Photo 
03-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #8082
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Looking at this slide, taken by a manual camera with a fixed lens, and seeing the quality of the picture, doesn't it make the fuss one hears about the latest auto focus lens seem overdone? I love a natural looking picture, where any PP has only been done to restore what has been lost rather than manufacturing a new digital image with "artistic" inputs.
I hope to see more slides from the past. Here is one taken by my father, of my sister in 1961.
Great bokeh, and no trace of purple fringing!
03-14-2013, 04:44 PM   #8083
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I envy your treasures of family photos from years past!
03-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #8084
Veteran Member

Immaculate - that's my brief description of the two slides posted by Colton and arnold. They are both reminders for me to pay close attention as I use the roll of Velvia 50 currently loaded in the KX.
03-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #8085
Veteran Member

@montman, nice work. Like the first one best of all.