Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43042 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #8431
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote

P67
Tak 105/2.4
FP4+
Nice, the photo has a good 3D quality to it (not the first time I've seen that from that lens. I love FP4+.

Here are a few from NY on Kodak UltraMax.

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 07-05-2013 at 05:20 AM.
07-06-2013, 06:20 AM   #8432
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kodak Ektar 100 taken with an early fifties Voigtlander Perkeo 11
Attached Images

07-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #8433
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Blight Art
Since this photo, I see the old house is being restored.
Computar 105~150mm lens on Graflex with 6x9 back. Fuji 400 processed in Rolliei C41 kit.
The neg was cropped from 7500 pix wide to 4000 pix to frame the house.
Attached Images

07-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #8434
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Kodak Ektar 100 taken with an early fifties Voigtlander Perkeo 11
Arnold, I'm liking your work - but your photos don't look their best as they are massively compressed JPEGs! Can you make them appear in better quality?

07-07-2013, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #8435
Veteran Member

Pentax 67, SMC Takumar 67 105/2.4, Reala 100
07-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #8436
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Self Portrait.

KX & FA43/1.9 shooting Fuji Sensia 100.

Phil.
07-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #8437
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Arnold, I'm liking your work - but your photos don't look their best as they are massively compressed JPEGs! Can you make them appear in better quality?
Rob...the file size (632 KB) for Arnold's image is appropriate for a zero compression JPEG with those pixel dimensions and his pixel dimensions are appropriate per this site's guidelines. I see no evidence of massive JPEG compression. If there is a quality issue, it may be that he uploaded his image as an attachment. The forum software is known to munge uploaded images something terrible.

My general advice to people is:
  • Use RAW for digital captures
  • Use TIFF for scans
  • Do most PP on the original scanned TIFF or RAW/DNG
  • Resize on export to JPEG (800 or 1000 pixels on the long axis for this site) -or- convert to JPEG first and then resize depending on what your software supports. In either case use ZERO compression for the JPEG conversion.
  • Use a file hosting service (like Flickr) and link to the image hosted there in preference to upload to this site or uploading as attachment to a forum posting.
  • In the case of Flickr, make sure that you link back to the ORIGINAL uploaded image rather than one of their resized versions.

Steve

07-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #8438
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wuzet Quote
Pentax 67, SMC Takumar 67 105/2.4, Reala 100
Naked Cowgirls! (Ok...almost naked)

New York, you're my kinda town!!!

Steve
07-07-2013, 06:05 PM   #8439
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Originally posted by rob1234 Quote Arnold, I'm liking your work - but your photos don't look their best as they are massively compressed JPEGs! Can you make them appear in better quality? Rob...the file size (632 KB) for Arnold's image is appropriate for a zero compression JPEG with those pixel dimensions and his pixel dimensions are appropriate per this site's guidelines. I see no evidence of massive JPEG compression. If there is a quality issue, it may be that he uploaded his image as an attachment. The forum software is known to munge uploaded images something terrible. My general advice to people is: Use RAW for digital captures Use TIFF for scans Do most PP on the original scanned TIFF or RAW/DNG Resize on export to JPEG (800 or 1000 pixels on the long axis for this site) -or- convert to JPEG first and then resize depending on what your software supports. In either case use ZERO compression for the JPEG conversion. Use a file hosting service (like Flickr) and link to the image hosted there in preference to upload to this site or uploading as attachment to a forum posting. In the case of Flickr, make sure that you link back to the ORIGINAL uploaded image rather than one of their resized versions.
I am not very conversant with processing and linking. Most of my images are simple attachments with minimal processing. I have used Flicker, by copying a selected size of the image, and simply posting it into the main page. Are you suggesting I simply post a link to the original, rather than the image itself, since pasting the original would likely be too big?
07-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #8440
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Rob. Not sure why they appear quite so bad on your screen, although I have discovered the Voigtlander camera above has an issue with the lens alignment. I am sending it back for another service. I usually scan my attachments at the best quality available, and may sometimes adjust the lighting in PP, but otherwise I think Stevebrot's points may explain some of the issues.
07-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #8441
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I am not very conversant with processing and linking. Most of my images are simple attachments with minimal processing. I have used Flicker, by copying a selected size of the image, and simply posting it into the main page. Are you suggesting I simply post a link to the original, rather than the image itself, since pasting the original would likely be too big?
For Flickr, upload the size (pixel dimensions) that you want to display. I almost never upload anything more than 1000 px for the longest side. Anything larger is simply begging for someone to pirate it. On the Flickr page for the image, click on the "share" icon and choose "Grab the HTML/BBCode". Choose "Original (..." from the drop menu for which image size, click the text in the box to select the BBCode and CTRL-C to copy the code to computer's clipboard. Paste the code (CTRL-V) into the message post box here on the Pentax Forums to create the BBCode link.

Steve
07-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #8442
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Done. Now I need to see if the image appears here, rather than the link
Edit: Great, the image appears, but one must use the link icon above, and not post straight into the post.
07-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #8443
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold:

Done. Now I need to see if the image appears here, rather than the link
Edit: Great, the image appears, but one must use the link icon above, and not post straight into the post.
Beautiful colours !!

Looks like this time the quality is there - however I'd advise you to not upload your originals - this image is in 3892px × 2764px size which tells me that you've uploaded your original. As others have pointed out previously it is generally wise to upload photos up to ~1000 pix the long side.
07-08-2013, 01:01 AM   #8444
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Beautiful colours !!

Looks like this time the quality is there - however I'd advise you to not upload your originals - this image is in 3892px × 2764px size which tells me that you've uploaded your original. As others have pointed out previously it is generally wise to upload photos up to ~1000 pix the long side.
I agree, gorgeous colours. He can upload the originals, but Flickr allows a choice of many different sizes so that images can be down-sized for posting in forums. When you get the BB code, choose a smaller sive (I find medium is about right for these forums, 800 pixels at the widest/longest).
07-08-2013, 06:03 AM   #8445

My first roll of film with an MZ-7 and Kodak ColorPlus 200 - the cheap way of trying

This one is with a Samyang 85mm @f2.0

This, with a DA70 @ 2.4

Lab developed and scanned.