Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2013, 10:39 AM   #8551
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Makes me wonder how much money is saved by not merely slipping the negs in the packaging along with the CD? Perhaps they've found a way to scan negs before the negs are properly washed? Or is it merely a matter of saving a few cents per unit. That is, of course, the way that WickedMart makes so much money. That, and stiffing their suppliers.

08-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #8552

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Makes me wonder how much money is saved by not merely slipping the negs in the packaging along with the CD? Perhaps they've found a way to scan negs before the negs are properly washed? Or is it merely a matter of saving a few cents per unit. That is, of course, the way that WickedMart makes so much money. That, and stiffing their suppliers.
And their employees.
08-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #8553
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mamba909 Quote
For about $13-15, I got my negatives and a CD back with 1544px x 1024px photos @ 72 dpi. Can you tell us what's the average price you pay to develop your film at Walgreens and at what resolution they scan the photos at?

I have a roll of T-Max 100 that's almost finished, and I have 5 rolls of Portra 160 heading my way so I would like to know if I should just get my rolls developed at Walgreens.
I'll have to see what resolution they're scanning them at (dropping off a few roles after work today). Sometimes they run specials but I think the standard price for developing and a "photo CD" is $8.99.

I have to confess that when I shoot "the good stuff" or I really want to make sure the processing's done right I go to a proper lab. Panda Lab in Seattle is my favorite. It's about $15 to develop and scan (TIFs or JPEGs; they'll also put them on your own USB drive if you want, more convenient than a CD for me). That where I get my 120 developed, too.

What you pick up is a CD with your images, and prints if ordered, and That's All, Folks! No negatives.
That's nuts! I can't believe they get away with it.
08-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #8554
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Makes me wonder how much money is saved by not merely slipping the negs in the packaging along with the CD?
The scenario goes like this...

...the film strip goes directly in the trash bin with the remains of the operator's lunch. Nobody has to take care to "catch it". Nobody has to wear white cotton gloves. There is no risk of dust/scratches from handling. Nobody has to put it through the cutter. Nobody has to insert the cut strips into the sleeves. And finally, nobody has to drop the folded negative sleeve into the envelope.

Steve

08-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #8555
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
I'll have to see what resolution they're scanning them at
They typically scan at pretty high pixel resolution (big files), but the quality is usually not particularly good. Technically, most machines don't really do a scan. They take a CCD copy image of the negative and then hit it with enough digital enhancement to generate tons of artifact. That same "scan" is used for the prints. Better results may be had by asking them to give you straight scans with no sharpening, no smoothing, and no contrast enhancement.

Steve

(...can thank Costco and Target for driving me to my first scanner purchase...)
08-22-2013, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #8556
Pentaxian

Pentax PZ-1, SMC Pentax-FA 43/1.9 Ltd. Fujicolor 200
08-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #8557
Site Supporter

Silly DA lens, you don't cover 35mm...

I trimmed a bit of the right side of the frame off to get the vignetting even.
When I had the film developed, I was honestly surprised this one even turned out. I used the 18-135 WR lens that came with my K-30 on my K1000 SE, set at 18mm, shutter at 1/60, assume the lens fully stopped down(?), 800 speed Fuji supermarket film.

I'm having a lot of fun so far with the fact that everything pentax more or less mounts up, new or old.

As far as quality of scans you get from the stores... I've found it varies greatly depending on the place you go and the amount of f's the worker gives to developing. Locally I take my film to Fred Meyer and they seem to do a good enough job. We have two in town, and the one closest to my job actually scans negs at 2x the resolution of the other, larger store. When I lived back east, I typically used the local CVS, and the scan resolution was often different for each roll. I guess it depended on what the kid working wanted to do... Eventually I'll try to do it all at home, but for now I'll settle for letting them develop and scan to a CD.

Last edited by skierd; 08-22-2013 at 07:40 PM.
08-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #8558
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
I used the 18-135 WR lens that came with my K-30 on my K1000 SE, set at 18mm, shutter at 1/60, assume the lens fully stopped down(?), 800 speed Fuji supermarket film. ...
wow! I did not know you could do that ^^ I have the exact same combination - K-30 with 18-135 WR and K1000SE ;-)
Never dared putting the new lens on the old cam, for fear of breaking something on the lens.
I should have tried that before putting the K-30 and the DA into marketplace...

Nice!

08-22-2013, 08:08 PM   #8559
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote

I trimmed a bit of the right side of the frame off to get the vignetting even.
When I had the film developed, I was honestly surprised this one even turned out. I used the 18-135 WR lens that came with my K-30 on my K1000 SE, set at 18mm, shutter at 1/60, assume the lens fully stopped down(?), 800 speed Fuji supermarket film.

I'm having a lot of fun so far with the fact that everything pentax more or less mounts up, new or old.

As far as quality of scans you get from the stores... I've found it varies greatly depending on the place you go and the amount of f's the worker gives to developing. Locally I take my film to Fred Meyer and they seem to do a good enough job. We have two in town, and the one closest to my job actually scans negs at 2x the resolution of the other, larger store. When I lived back east, I typically used the local CVS, and the scan resolution was often different for each roll. I guess it depended on what the kid working wanted to do... Eventually I'll try to do it all at home, but for now I'll settle for letting them develop and scan to a CD.
Nice work. Turned pretty good for 800 iso and f/22
You should find a ZX-7 and you get nearly full functionality.
08-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #8560
Site Supporter

Going Up - Enjoying my Citabria close to where I used to live in South Surry BC Canada.
Another of my old slides. This one from the late seventies, taken with an MX and Kodachrome.
08-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #8561
Site Supporter

Same camera, same park, same film, different lens (M 50mm f/2).

08-22-2013, 10:22 PM   #8562
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Going Up - Enjoying my Citabria close to where I used to live in South Surry BC Canada.
Another of my old slides. This one from the late seventies, taken with an MX and Kodachrome.
Nice shot! If you haven’t been to Surrey lately its changed a lot from the ‘70s. Surrey is almost as big as Vancouver and will pass it population wise in the next decade or so.

Phil.
08-22-2013, 11:58 PM   #8563
Pentaxian

Pentax PZ-1, SMC Pentax-FA 43/1.9 Ltd. Fujicolor 200
08-23-2013, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #8564
Pentaxian

Ektar, Pentax LX, Voigtlander Nokton 58mm 1.4 SL II

08-23-2013, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #8565
Veteran Member

I've squirreled away a couple of exposed rolls, a 120 and a 135 color, and was going to shoot another 120 today before going to Unique Photo to get them developed/scanned. Anyone in the Northern NJ area, Unique does good work. But I don't -- the rolls are not in the two cabinets I would have put them in, and looked at them. I must have put them in something else at some point thinking I'd make it to the camera store. I have no memory! Argh!

So, I've been re-editing some shots from December 2006, with a film I didn't record, with the DA 16-45/4 and probably the ZX-10. I'd bought the lens before I bought a dSLR.