Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2013, 11:50 PM - 2 Likes   #8686

Photos: Albums
Zeiss Nettar 517/2

Here are three from the Zeiss Nettar 517/2 - a folding camera from the early 50'ies with a 105mm F6.3 lens taking 6x9 cm images on 120 film.

The first one is of a rape field against setting sun (Denmark). Pretty cliché, I know, but I was not sure how this would work out. The camera has no in-built metering. I used a Gossen Lunasix handheld meter, but didn't quite know what to meter ... Seems to have worked out OK. Ilford HP5+. Wide open (if F6.3 can be called "wide open") and 1/75 sec., I think. Yellow filter.

The second one from the same camera from Luster fiord in Norway. I tried to focus on the foreground. Focussing is a bit trial and error, as there is no distance meter either, only a distance scale. Ilford FP+. 1/75 sec. @ F8.0 and yellow filter.

The third one is a small waterfall near Luster fiord in Norway (Krokenfossen) with water spray and mist against the sun and sunlit flowers in the foreground. Ilford FP+. 1/75 sec. @ F11.0 and yellow filter. A bit abstract, but I like this one particularly well. Again also here exposure and distance metering was a bit hit or miss.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
9000F  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
9000F  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
9000F  Photo 

Last edited by LaHo; 09-19-2013 at 12:03 AM.
09-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #8687
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So good to see these old cameras put to use. They are a challenge, but school one in the basics. They came out well.
09-19-2013, 01:31 AM   #8688

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
So good to see these old cameras put to use. They are a challenge, but school one in the basics. They came out well.
Thanks. Yes, a camera such as this is a challenge, but then success is all the sweeter. With 8 frames to a roll one takes special care to get it right the first time.
The shutter speed scale is quite odd on this one: 1/25, 1/75 and 1/200 plus B. Nothing absolutely equal on the dial of the exposure meter.

[Edit: This is the camera: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/217364-gear-p0...ml#post2513667 - Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/2]

Last edited by LaHo; 09-19-2013 at 02:26 AM.
09-19-2013, 05:31 AM   #8689
Forum Member

Thanks Arnold

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
I particularly like the door picture. The other one is more historic than artistic.
Thank you Arnold.

Tom

09-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #8690
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaHo Quote
Thanks. Yes, a camera such as this is a challenge, but then success is all the sweeter. With 8 frames to a roll one takes special care to get it right the first time.
The shutter speed scale is quite odd on this one: 1/25, 1/75 and 1/200 plus B. Nothing absolutely equal on the dial of the exposure meter.

[Edit: This is the camera: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/217364-gear-p0...ml#post2513667 - Zeiss Ikon Nettar 517/2]
I agree, they're very satisfying to use and can produce superb pictures. My Zeiss Ikons both have the same shutter speeds stated above, but I recently got a Franka Solida III folder that goes all the way to 1/300s!!!
09-19-2013, 07:52 AM   #8691
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Thanks David.
A friend really wanted me to have the Contax and sold it to me at a somewhat ridiculous price.
Well, the G2 is a ridiculously nice camera. Enjoy!

Steve
09-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #8692
Pentaxian

Here are three from the Zeiss Nettar 517/2 - a folding camera from the early 50'ies with a 105mm F6.3 lens taking 6x9 cm images on 120 film.

The first one is of a rape field against setting sun (Denmark). Pretty cliché, I know, but I was not sure how this would work out. The camera has no in-built metering. I used a Gossen Lunasix handheld meter, but didn't quite know what to meter ... Seems to have worked out OK. Ilford HP5+. Wide open (if F6.3 can be called "wide open") and 1/75 sec., I think. Yellow filter.

The second one from the same camera from Luster fiord in Norway. I tried to focus on the foreground. Focussing is a bit trial and error, as there is no distance meter either, only a distance scale. Ilford FP+. 1/75 sec. @ F8.0 and yellow filter.

The third one is a small waterfall near Luster fiord in Norway (Krokenfossen) with water spray and mist against the sun and sunlit flowers in the foreground. Ilford FP+. 1/75 sec. @ F11.0 and yellow filter. A bit abstract, but I like this one particularly well. Again also here exposure and distance metering was a bit hit or miss.
Nice set of photos. I've just recently got into folders and I bought a Zeiss Nettax 513/16, which is a 6x6 Nettar with a meter added.
They're really fun cameras.
09-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #8693
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, the G2 is a ridiculously nice camera. Enjoy!

Steve
It certainly is a ridiculously nice camera

09-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #8694
Pentaxian

Here's another from the Contax.

Contax G2, Zeiss Planar 35/2, Kodak Ektar
09-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #8695

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Contax G2, Zeiss Planar 35/2, Kodak Ektar
Very nice. I have seen a few shots lately that aren't as super-saturated as I associate with Ektar, such as this one. I like Ektar but would like more control over it. Any tips, or is it just situational?
09-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #8696

Dear heavens, these are lovely.
09-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #8697
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Archimedes the Dog Quote
Very nice. I have seen a few shots lately that aren't as super-saturated as I associate with Ektar, such as this one. I like Ektar but would like more control over it. Any tips, or is it just situational?
Colton's interpretation of the truck image is very pleasing. It looks excellent on my well-calibrated monitor.

Yes, there are a lot of over-saturated, at least to my taste, film images around. Tip for dealing with saturation? Adjust it in your image editing software.

When you scan a negative, you are interpreting it. There are many variables in the image scanning process, including hardware, scanning software, the way in which scanning software is set up, monitor calibration, and the user's personal tastes and skills. Excessive saturation is an artifact of choices made in the scanning and image editing chain, not a fixed characteristic of the film.
09-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #8698

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
Colton's interpretation of the truck image is very pleasing. It looks excellent on my well-calibrated monitor.

Yes, there are a lot of over-saturated, at least to my taste, film images around. Tip for dealing with saturation? Adjust it in your image editing software.

When you scan a negative, you are interpreting it. There are many variables in the image scanning process, including hardware, scanning software, the way in which scanning software is set up, monitor calibration, and the user's personal tastes and skills. Excessive saturation is an artifact of choices made in the scanning and image editing chain, not a fixed characteristic of the film.
Score and symphony, agreed, but still curious if people are adjusting something at the time of composition.
09-19-2013, 11:32 AM   #8699
Pentaxian

I didn't do anything special when shooting the truck. It was fairly overcast which definitely cuts down on the over saturated look.
I think it's important to have at least a somewhat calibrated system when scanning. I mainly use my V500 for scanning and interestingly, if you use the auto exposure mode, the prescan images are shown unprofiled. I've found that if I leave the colors alone, the final scans usually look great when viewed with a profiled viewer. If I try and make the prescan image look correct, then the final scan comes out wrong. This problem kinda goes away if you switch to full manual control in the scanning software, but it makes for tedious work.
FWIW, I just rescanned the truck image using my Minolta Scan Duel IV and the Minolta software. The final image was much saturated, to much for my taste, so I just desaturated it a bit in my editor.
09-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #8700
Site Supporter

Accurate exposure. Ektar's color rendering is more similar to Kodachrome rather than, say, Velvia and Kodachrome was capable of very subtle color rendition when properly exposed.

Steve