Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Pentax *ist + smc Pentax-FA 1:1.8/77 + Kodak Portra 160 NC

10-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #8807
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
as always yours is stunning.

anything you can share me how did you meter while taking this picture?

Thanks Hermawan.
I think I used "Sunny 11" to meter this.
Probably 1/60, f/11, ISO 50
10-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #8808
Pentaxian

Thank you for the kind comments and likes folks. You've encouraged me to keep going with rediscovering my old love of shooting slides (and to try for better scans next time).
10-19-2013, 07:28 AM   #8809
Veteran Member

I've mostly been lurking here of late (and jealously enjoying everyone else's contributions). I believe I threatened to post some shots from an Olympus Stylus P&S I fell into back in June - found it in the used case at Simonds Photographic and they were willing to part with it for the princely sum of $5 US. Trotted out to my favorite photographic haunt (pun intended) and ran a roll of film through it. Consensus is that it has a great lens (it does), but the lack of manual control is a killer. That being said, its built-in fill-flash is stellar.

Olympus Stylus, Kodak UltraMax400

Actress Katherine Hepburn's final resting place

Upshot of the experience is that it was fun, but I kept wishing I had an SLR in my hands. Will I shoot it again? Yeah, maybe, but where shooting time is so limited these days, I want to make the best images I can and this probably isn't the tool to do it with.

Best to all,
Kevin

10-19-2013, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #8810
Veteran Member

Another P&S story...

Back in the day, at her request, I bought my wife a P&S camera for Christmas. I'm guessing it was the late 90's. At the time I had zero interest in photography and really had no idea of what I was buying. Flash forward to 2009 and I've started shooting film in earnest and I start asking Nancy about whatever happened to the P&S camera I bought her. Her response, "I'm not sure, but it has to be around here somewhere...". Neither one of us could remember what make and model the camera was, but we both agreed that it was in a black bag with blue trim. Another four years pass with no sign of the camera until we decide to upgrade our internet service and a pending visit from a tech necessitated a major household reaming and the black bag with the blue trim magically appeared in the bottom of a walk-in closet. In the bag was a Minolta SuperZoom with a half-shot roll of film still in the camera and an unprocessed roll of film in its canister. A quick trip to CVS for a new battery and we were back in business. I finished the roll in the camera without much hope of getting anything decent out of it and ran another roll of fresh Kodak UltraMax400 through for good measure and I was off to get it all processed.

Based on the photos we got back from the lab, our best guess is that the camera had been put away sometime in 2001 - twelve years ago!

A candid of my departed grandparents with me in background, shot by my wife...long expired Kodak Max400, Minolta SuperZoom P&S, ca. 2001

My mother-in-law, who passed this last April. Also shot by my wife.

Ceiling of the Methodist Church in Red Lion, PA (Credit Nancy)

Coffee cup shot on one of the remaining frames in the camera on 12 year old expired Kodak Max 400 shot by me...

Another shot from the in-camera roll of my place of employ...

The feeling of getting these images back from the lab was indescribable and brought a tear to my eye. There's nothing particularly remarkable about these images in terms of their quality or composition, but I wouldn't trade my best photograph for that shot of my grandparents. There were other family gems on the expired roll in the canister and in the camera and Nancy and I are delighted to have them - we didn't find an old P&S film camera in that black bag with the blue trim, but a time machine.

Best to all,
Kevin
10-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #8811
Veteran Member

Couple more from the Minolta SuperZoom, this time with fresh film...

Church of the Good Shepherd, Hartford, CT. Minolta SuperZoom, Kodak UltraMax400

Parish House, Church of the Good Shepherd

Detail, Parish House, Church of the Good Shepherd

Best to all,
Kevin
10-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #8812
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
The feeling of getting these images back from the lab was indescribable and brought a tear to my eye. There's nothing particularly remarkable about these images in terms of their quality or composition, but I wouldn't trade my best photograph for that shot of my grandparents. There were other family gems on the expired roll in the canister and in the camera and Nancy and I are delighted to have them - we didn't find an old P&S film camera in that black bag with the blue trim, but a time machine.
Good stuff, and indicates why I started this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/236450-misc-show-those-o...1990-a-13.html

10-19-2013, 10:28 PM   #8813
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 great story Kevin, thanks for posting!

Phil.
10-19-2013, 11:48 PM - 2 Likes   #8814
Veteran Member

@Kjon

interesting story. wish i have that kinda experience.

anyway Oly Stylus aka Mju s awesome camera.

took this picture few years ago during Slash concert..

which is have difficult light.

Saul Hudson aka Slash live in Jakarta
---------

Olympus Mju II + Fujifilm Superia 400

this pocket film camera is a legend!
10-20-2013, 04:13 AM   #8815
Veteran Member

@Hermawan, I remember seeing that Slash portrait before, but I didn't remember you having shot it with the Olympus. Thanks for the reminder.

@Phil, thanks for the nod.

@Arnold, thanks for highlighting your thread. Just took a quick look and when I finish this post, I'm headed back that way.

Best,
Kevin
10-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #8816
Veteran Member

@Kjon i sneaked in my mz5 and Oly Mju ii that day .. they said no pro camera and when i got caugh with the mz5 .. i just said ..dude its not a pro ..this thing still use film. they let me go

the pic above from mju.
10-20-2013, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #8817
Veteran Member

This is my first attempt at an idea that I first had back in 2011. I'm sure it's not a new idea, but I've thought about it for some time and I figured I'd better give it a try.
The basic idea was to make a triptych (or diptych) that could be scanned as a single image, without resorting to stitching software.
The concept presents a few hurdles though. First off, the direction that the camera advances the film is very important. A camera with vertical film advance (Hasselblad, Pentax 645, Bronica S2 etc) won't work, unless the camera is mounted to a tripod on it's side.
A camera with horizontal film travel works best though.
Secondly, since the lens flips the image, you need to figure out which direction your camera advances the film, and then figure out the correct sequence to take the photos.

This image is a single scan of three 6x6 frames that I shot in sequence using my Zeiss Ikon Nettax 6x6 folder.

10-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #8818
Veteran Member

Colton, great idea and nice execution. (I've just come into possession of a Rollei that needs some work. When I get it up and running, I'll give this technique a shot. And thanks for the workaround for the vertical film advance - I can be a little slow on the uptake and it would have taken me a while to wrap my head around this) ;-)

Best,
Kevin
10-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #8819
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
This is my first attempt at an idea that I first had back in 2011. I'm sure it's not a new idea, but I've thought about it for some time and I figured I'd better give it a try.
The basic idea was to make a triptych (or diptych) that could be scanned as a single image, without resorting to stitching software.
The concept presents a few hurdles though. First off, the direction that the camera advances the film is very important. A camera with vertical film advance (Hasselblad, Pentax 645, Bronica S2 etc) won't work, unless the camera is mounted to a tripod on it's side.
A camera with horizontal film travel works best though.
Secondly, since the lens flips the image, you need to figure out which direction your camera advances the film, and then figure out the correct sequence to take the photos.

This image is a single scan of three 6x6 frames that I shot in sequence using my Zeiss Ikon Nettax 6x6 folder.

Looks good Colton!

The 6x7 shift may be a good choice for a lens, as you can shift it in one direction to do the panoramic shots without having to move your camera.

Phil.
10-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #8820
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Colton, great idea and nice execution. (I've just come into possession of a Rollei that needs some work. When I get it up and running, I'll give this technique a shot. And thanks for the workaround for the vertical film advance - I can be a little slow on the uptake and it would have taken me a while to wrap my head around this) ;-)

Best,
Kevin
Thanks Kevin.

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Looks good Colton!

The 6x7 shift may be a good choice for a lens, as you can shift it in one direction to do the panoramic shots without having to move your camera.

Phil.
Thanks Phil.
Does the lens shift enough so that you'd get 3 unique frames?