Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43141 Likes Search this Thread
01-15-2014, 07:50 AM   #9166
Inactive Account

Hey folks, looking for an opinion. Sorry if this is the wrong place, but this is the only thread I'm familiar with. I've been shooting with my ME Super for a couple of years now, and on a recent trip around the country, it started to freeze up on me, meaning I would fire the shutter and it would stay open for minutes until finally randomly freeing up. It only happened once or twice initially, but by the end of the trip, it was doing it consistently and I had to stop shooting with that camera. I'm not even sure a CLA would fix this issue, and I'm not even sure it's worth the ~$100 to get a CLA on a ME Super. So, my question is this: If I were to buy a new camera, what would you all recommend? What is one of the best quality Pentax film cameras of this type (manual/auto, aperture priority, etc.) that's going to last? I know of the LX, but I'm not looking to spend $500 on a manual focus film camera. What are some other options? Thanks for any suggestions. I should have some shots to post soon, lots of scanning ahead...

01-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #9167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think your request would warrant a new thread in the Pentax Film SLR Discussion forum--that would probably get you more attention.
I'm not sure if there really is a model that will give you all you're asking for. The most reliable old cameras would be the all mechanical models without auto exposure. If you want what you have been used to, another ME Super would be a cheap option. I have no experience with that model. In the 1980s I used a Super A (Super Program in the US?) along with my MX. I bought it for the TTL flash function which was great (better in fact than the current P-TTL flash with its considerable delay). However, in comparison with the MX I had a significantly higher number of shots with camera motion blur--apparently due to less efficient mirror/shutter dampening. And I noticed that the 1/125 was in fact closer to 1/100, something which the metering system took into account, so it was intentional--probably because they did not manage to get the 1/125 flash sync that they promised.
The LX (which I used next) is a great camera by any standards, although it might need servicing (but you have Eric over there, I'm quite jealous for that!). You should be able to get one for $200 to 300, unless it has to be near-mint.
In the 1990s I got a Z-1p (PZ-1p in the US) which is a great camera too but rather big in comparison to other Pentax models. Some people consider it ugly too, but I never had a camera that fit better into my hands. Later I also used a MZ-5n which is lovely--elegant, compact and offers all you can ask for in a film camera except the possibility to use lenses without an aperture ring in manual mode (which the Z-1p or Z-1 can handle). However, it is not very solid and tends to have problems with the mirror getting stuck. I'm afraid that all the later Pentax models are less durable than the old all-metal manual models. Hope that helps!

Last edited by wkraus; 01-15-2014 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Typo
01-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #9168
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So far, the SuperA has been a work horse for me. It work with all lenses, whether or not it have an aperture ring.
An issue can occure however : half pressing the shutter button can not start the metering in some case (short raison : some grease preventing the contact to happen).

The other body is the MZ-5n. Very simple, quite efficient. It can use a grip that allow the use of standard AA batterie. Lightweight. Supercheap and widely available. and so on.
An issue can occure : sticky shutter / sticky mirror as Wkraus explained it.
01-15-2014, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #9169
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
So far, the SuperA has been a work horse for me. It work with all lenses, whether or not it have an aperture ring.
An issue can occure however : half pressing the shutter button can not start the metering in some case (short raison : some grease preventing the contact to happen).
Right, I forgot about that. I had the meter switch replaced on my Super A after a while due to that malfunction.

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
The other body is the MZ-5n. Very simple, quite efficient. It can use a grip that allow the use of standard AA batterie. Lightweight. Supercheap and widely available. and so on.
An issue can occure : sticky shutter / sticky mirror as Wkraus explained it.
To avoid any misunderstanding: the recurrent issue with the MZ-5/MZ-5n is that the mirror drive mechanism breaks for good (or is it for bad?). The camera is then beyond repair considering its value. The sticky mirror that the LX is famous for is different and less fatal: a rubber piece on which the mirror rests becomes sticky. You can use the MLU function to get the mirror unstuck before shooting, but it's also a simple repair.

To bring this on topic: Here's a shot with my Super A and (probably) the smc Pentax-M 100mm f/2.8 with bounced flash on Agfachrome 200 RS slide film--a Berber bride in the Moroccan High Atlas mountains being dressed up (November 1985).

01-15-2014, 02:44 PM   #9170
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ummm...enough of the technical troubleshooting on this thread, eh?

Steve
01-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #9171
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
...This lens continues to just blow my mind with it's sharpness...
Good to hear. I tried for some time to get that lens. It just wasn't around much before I gave up. I wanted it for the filter size. Then I could carry a 75/105/165mm combo and all take one set of filters like my Hasselblad system.

Also what I found confusing is that lens looked available at the time in Japan. I asked Pentax USA to order it for me. They would not. WTF.
01-15-2014, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #9172
Veteran Member

I posted this back in 2010 when I took it, but I recently ran across it and decided to re-edit it. Here's the new version.

Joe Dunbar's par Daiku San, on ipernity
Pentax MZ-L, SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm f/4-5.6, Cross-Processed Fujichrome Provia 100F

01-15-2014, 04:33 PM   #9173
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ummm...enough of the technical troubleshooting on this thread, eh?

Steve
So sorry to offend. I'll take it elsewhere.

Thanks to those of you who were helpful.

edit: Sorry if that seemed disingenuous, I didn't intend it to be. I am making a thread for my question. Thanks again to aurele and wkraus.

Last edited by pentaxk1000denver; 01-15-2014 at 04:43 PM.
01-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #9174
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk1000denver Quote
So sorry to offend. I'll take it elsewhere.

Thanks to those of you who were helpful.

edit: Sorry if that seemed disingenuous, I didn't intend it to be. I am making a thread for my question. Thanks again to aurele and wkraus.
Not really offense (none taken actually), just an appeal to our super helpful user-base to not derail the thread with the inevitable flood of suggestions. With any luck your question may bring hundreds of responses

Steve
01-15-2014, 05:45 PM   #9175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I posted this back in 2010 when I took it, but I recently ran across it and decided to re-edit it. Here's the new version.

Pentax MZ-L, SMC Pentax-FAJ 18-35mm f/4-5.6, Cross-Processed Fujichrome Provia 100F
Like the shadows, very nice!

Phil.
01-15-2014, 06:04 PM   #9176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Like the shadows, very nice!

Phil.
Thanks Phil.
01-15-2014, 07:02 PM   #9177
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Cool colors, definitely some kind of shift, right? I like the perspective shadows. The building has a face, too. Crazy top, must be for a billboard kind of sign.
01-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #9178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Cool colors, definitely some kind of shift, right? I like the perspective shadows. The building has a face, too. Crazy top, must be for a billboard kind of sign.
This is another cross processed shot. Same process, different film.
Th building is a somewhat typical western, small town, late 19th century building with the original facade.
01-16-2014, 04:16 AM   #9179
Veteran Member

From the first two rolls through the Bessa 66 in 2007

and from a roll of Reala through the Bessa I vaskar also 2007

I should have quit while I was ahead
01-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #9180
Pentaxian

I found some Kodak Pro Image 100 shots from Lanzarote that I hadn't uploaded.

A diver just came out of the water with this lot: