Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43060 Likes Search this Thread
05-19-2014, 03:48 AM   #9556
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
From September 2011.

Birch Trees par Daiku San, on ipernity

Pentax Spotmatic SPII
S-M-C Takumar 85/1.9
expired Kodak Gold 100
Lovely shot Colton. Texture, color and composition.

05-19-2014, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #9557
Forum Member

This is a really awesome thread, everyone - I'm so encourage to see film alive and well. I'll post some of my own soon (once they've had a once-over)

Over the last year, I've started shooting film properly for the first time (in a long time) - having got a K1000, I've fallen in love with it and with the process of shooting film. I felt like I learnt more in my first 36 film frames than I did in the previous 3600 digital ones! There's something honest, and organic about the process that I really love.

Processing, however, is an expensive wotsit. My first film got processed by Jessops in the UK, shortly before they went bust. That left me without any local photo labs (I'd been advised to avoid the 1-stop 24hr photo places if I cared about my images) so it's been quite a while since I've got any films developed. I had six sent off to Peak Imaging (in the UK) who have a very good reputation - 4.90 develop only on the films, and I have access to a Nikon film scanner at home. It'll be expensive for 6 films but not too bad! In all honesty, I'd quite like the prints as well, but they double the price and you have to store them somewhere.

Film. Still very much alive.
05-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #9558
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogonastring Quote
This is a really awesome thread, everyone - I'm so encourage to see film alive and well. I'll post some of my own soon (once they've had a once-over) Over the last year, I've started shooting film properly for the first time (in a long time) - having got a K1000, I've fallen in love with it and with the process of shooting film. I felt like I learnt more in my first 36 film frames than I did in the previous 3600 digital ones! There's something honest, and organic about the process that I really love. Processing, however, is an expensive wotsit. My first film got processed by Jessops in the UK, shortly before they went bust. That left me without any local photo labs (I'd been advised to avoid the 1-stop 24hr photo places if I cared about my images) so it's been quite a while since I've got any films developed. I had six sent off to Peak Imaging (in the UK) who have a very good reputation - 4.90 develop only on the films, and I have access to a Nikon film scanner at home. It'll be expensive for 6 films but not too bad! In all honesty, I'd quite like the prints as well, but they double the price and you have to store them somewhere. Film. Still very much alive.
I have had some fairly good experience with photofactoryltd on eBay.co.uk - they charge £2.50 per roll with flat £1 shipping rate for all the rolls you send. The quality is good although I got one or twice a roll with frame cut at 3/4 - probably they use some sort of automated cutting and that didn't work well on one or two occasions.

I can also reccomend a guy nameisis from Latvia - I had 10+ rolls done and he's done nice job - no mistakes with cutting as he cuts by hand and he also does BW - for occasional use is nice, although I had once some sort of residues on few frames ( probably from not good enough washing or some chemicals ) - anyway he is very reliable and you can contact him and pay via paypal - the rates goes down to what he has up on eBay - but the turnaround is slow - even around a month to get the scans back - so only when you are not in rush and got many rolls to do.
The advantage of this guy is also that you can ask for a push/pull for 1-2 stops free of charge - sometime useful.

Those are two places where I send my rolls and overall - very pleased. Yeah film is very much alive !
' >' manntax
05-19-2014, 08:44 AM   #9559
Forum Member

Cool, thanks for those - I actually saw photofactoryltd on eBay earlier today and wondered if they were any good!

I'll post back when I get my films back from Peak Imaging - from what I've heard and read from around the place, they're one of the last few very good professional photo labs left in the UK. The other recommendations I'd had were cheaper but less reliable or way more expensive...! (One place wanted £9 develop only, no scans or prints. Mental!)

05-19-2014, 01:38 PM   #9560
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Lovely shot Colton. Texture, color and composition.
Thanks David.
I believe that you have the lens that I used to take that photo.
05-19-2014, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #9561
Pentaxian

These were taken with my K1000 on Agfa Vista 200 cheapie film. Scanned with V500. First shot with M 85mm f/2, the second with Sigma AF 24/2.8. No idea about the third.

Agfa 200, Edin April 2014, K1000 015a
by Jonathan_in_Madrid, on Flickr

Agfa 200, Edin April 2014, K1000 019a

Agfa 200, Edin April 2014, K1000 021a
05-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #9562
Veteran Member

This is from my first roll through my recently acquired Kodak Medalist II.

On Eagle Mill Road par Daiku San, on ipernity

Kodak Medalist II
Ektar 100/3.5
Kodak Portra 160

05-19-2014, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #9563
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is from my first roll through my recently acquired Kodak Medalist II.

On Eagle Mill Road par Daiku San, on ipernity

Kodak Medalist II
Ektar 100/3.5
Kodak Portra 160
Good to see that Medalist in use. Good results.
05-19-2014, 07:03 PM   #9564
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks David.
I believe that you have the lens that I used to take that photo.
So I do, and it is in service now, too. Grateful to have it!
05-19-2014, 07:51 PM - 2 Likes   #9565
Veteran Member

Point of the Arches, 1965

shot by my father with his Nikomat on Ektachrome circa 1965, Shi Shi Beach, WA
scanned with the PIE PrimeFilm XE, and as usual looks much better on Flickr.

05-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #9566
Veteran Member

Velvia 50 on Pz-1p

For more from this roll see here on the FA limited club

05-20-2014, 09:58 PM   #9567
Veteran Member

Some more black and white stuff, Pentax MX and FA43/1.9.

Hopefully it works this time:

Coffee
by Jarek Miszkinis, on Flickr

D3200_35mm_DDX029.jpg

Snowy day
05-21-2014, 12:00 AM   #9568
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Point of the Arches, 1965 shot by my father with his Nikomat on Ektachrome circa 1965, Shi Shi Beach, WA scanned with the PIE PrimeFilm XE, and as usual looks much better on Flickr.
Fantastic !! These smooth tones on the water and composition with these distant rocks (?) is just marvellous - your father truly knew how to take a great photo!

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
Some more black and white stuff, Pentax MX and FA43/1.9. Hopefully it works this time:
Amazing shots there ! What film have you used ?
' >' manntax
05-21-2014, 01:17 AM   #9569
Forum Member

I've just gotten my films back from Peak Imaging - amazingly fast! I can't believe how quickly they got them back (we're actually still inside the 2nd class window for them receiving them in the first place, at time of writing)
And, £30 for six films isn't too painful when I stop and think about it. Or indeed, when I stop and don't think about it! :-D

Having had a flip through the negatives, I've noticed a couple of things:

+ The light meter on my / the K1000 is excellent - all the shots seem to be correctly exposed, very evenly across all the films/lighting conditions. It's encouraging to know that I can actually trust it!
+ I've got a Praktica MTL-5 that I won sort-of-by-accident on eBay for £5 - when I got it, I noticed the light seal on the inside of the film door was in very poor condition, and true enough, there's a gentle light leak on the left of the frame. Also, the meter must be either more, or perhaps less centre weighted than the K1000. It would appear that I got the metering wrong on quite a few of the shots - albeit they were in challenging light (under shade but towards the setting sun). It's a learning process! I haven't scanned them all in yet and some look good, so maybe it was just that one time. Maybe expired Kodak film doesn't like strong sunlight...!
+ The film I shot on my other film camera, a Mamiya ZM, looks reasonably well exposed but slightly /reasonably under exposed, like from the Praktica. This is possibly where the expired film has become less sensitive, although it's interesting that the K1000 shots seem okay in terms of exposure. I guess we'll see when I get them all scanned in.
+ The shots from the Ilford B&W film look awesome!

I was opening the package and looking through the negatives sitting on the floor in my spare room and getting unreasonably excited by all this stuff. This is why I love film - there's something so honest about the process. It makes me excited to make, receive and work with images in a way that digital doesn't - even the 'failures' where I missed the exposure, become an opportunity for learning how to take photographs in those lighting conditions, rather than an opportunity to check the LCD and take another few shots.

Magical. I may even post some shots up here, if you're lucky and if I get around to it..! (It takes me a long time to turn stuff around ...) ;-)

---------- Post added 05-21-14 at 09:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Point of the Arches, 1965

shot by my father with his Nikomat on Ektachrome circa 1965, Shi Shi Beach, WA
scanned with the PIE PrimeFilm XE, and as usual looks much better on Flickr.

This is really quite marvellous - what a beautiful photograph! The colour and light is so smooth and even. A beautiful image - I really love it.
05-21-2014, 01:42 AM   #9570
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Amazing shots there ! What film have you used ?
' >' manntax
Thank you. From top to bottom it's Acros, Detal 3200 and Neopan 400. The developer detail for each film are in the links, just click the image.