Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2014, 05:11 AM   #10591
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Are you stating that my is not genuine?
Irony please!

12-21-2014, 09:31 AM - 3 Likes   #10592
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,927
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
IMO he used the magic software for the yellow...

THIS is a genuine pic:

Please appreciate the cobalt blue impressed in the Portra film inside my F-1N.
Unfortunately - or fotunately, there are intermediary steps to the final presentation whether it is for web or print. Take for instance the same frame of Kodak Gold 100 film below scanned automatically on a Noritsu machine and the Coolscan below with no pre or post intervention.


Noritsu



Coolscan



Another example of straight-up automatic scans with no pre or post this time of Kodak Ektar 100 scanned by Epson V700 and Coolscan.



I have not optically printed color film but as I understand the process, it requires the operator to intercede in it's production to achieve a "true" representation.
Of course negatives require more interpretation than positives.

For documentary or news publication, I can appreciate minimal or no material intervention but I believe there is still color and contrast adjustments applied.

Last edited by LesDMess; 12-21-2014 at 09:41 AM.
12-21-2014, 12:04 PM   #10593
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,120
QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
God, you're frustrating! In getting an image from your physical negative on to my screen, a load of interpretation has been done. Just because you haven't done any of the post-processing, that doesn't mean none has been done...!!
Cuthbert, I've appreciated your input and liked many of your photos. But please give up this "My photos have no PP" conceit! As Les so obviously shows, that's simply not the case! If you don't want to add anything and you're happy with how your lab scans come back, fine, cool. But just remember there's processing there, too.
12-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #10594
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Unfortunately - or fotunately, there are intermediary steps to the final presentation whether it is for web or print. Take for instance the same frame of Kodak Gold 100 film below scanned automatically on a Noritsu machine and the Coolscan below with no pre or post intervention.


Noritsu



Coolscan



Another example of straight-up automatic scans with no pre or post this time of Kodak Ektar 100 scanned by Epson V700 and Coolscan.



I have not optically printed color film but as I understand the process, it requires the operator to intercede in it's production to achieve a "true" representation.
Of course negatives require more interpretation than positives.

For documentary or news publication, I can appreciate minimal or no material intervention but I believe there is still color and contrast adjustments applied.
Mmm in these cases it's difficult to say which is the "best" scan because I wasn't there when you took these pics, personally I would like to see something as neutral as possible, for you which scanner gave you the "correct" interpretation of your pics?

---------- Post added 12-21-14 at 12:55 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
Cuthbert, I've appreciated your input and liked many of your photos. But please give up this "My photos have no PP" conceit! As Les so obviously shows, that's simply not the case! If you don't want to add anything and you're happy with how your lab scans come back, fine, cool. But just remember there's processing there, too.
This is what you say, the people who actually did these scans said otherwise, most of them are unexperienced and have no clue about PP and I am inclined to believe them, sometimes I am happy with their work, sometimes I am not at all.

I conclude saying that for me scanning is just a way to share the pics online, and that's the way I intend to do that, I prefer to check the negatives or the slides to understand if it's a good picture or not, but of course it's not possible to publish online something straight and a digitalisation is necessary, but IMO it should be as neutral as possible without any attempt to improve or manipulate the results....if I were fine with that I would simply go DSLR.

---------- Post added 12-21-14 at 01:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rob1234 Quote
God, you're frustrating! In getting an image from your physical negative on to my screen, a load of interpretation has been done. Just because you haven't done any of the post-processing, that doesn't mean none has been done...!!
I'm a mechanical engineer and part of my job, especially when I was a researcher at the university, is doing tests.

Of course if I take a measurement there is a long chain of "data processing" from the physical thing to the final result on the monitor, but in order to have realiable results the so called transfer function of the chains should be as close to 1 (no intervention from sensors, datalink etc...) as possible. If your gear "interpretes" the results thne you have data contamination.

For me the same applies to pictures, what I want to see is what's on the film,not how the scanner "interpretates" the data.

12-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #10595
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,927
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Mmm in these cases it's difficult to say which is the "best" scan because I wasn't there when you took these pics, personally I would like to see something as neutral as possible, for you which scanner gave you the "correct" interpretation of your pics?

To me the correct interpretation will depend on what I believe is best for the job - if it is for me personally or perhaps a job for someone else. The LX picture is certainly simple enough to evaluate as it is a red glossy satin sheet and black LX. Of course how those colors register with each of us and how they are represented on the web and our individual setup (browser, monitor, with or without calibration, etc) are subject to additional interpretations. I personally don't think it is all so straightforward . . .
12-21-2014, 01:14 PM   #10596
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
To me the correct interpretation will depend on what I believe is best for the job - if it is for me personally or perhaps a job for someone else. The LX picture is certainly simple enough to evaluate as it is a red glossy satin sheet and black LX. Of course how those colors register with each of us and how they are represented on the web and our individual setup (browser, monitor, with or without calibration, etc) are subject to additional interpretations. I personally don't think it is all so straightforward . . .
...then I'm sorry to inform you that your Noritsu scanner is a piece of junk!
12-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #10597
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,927
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
...then I'm sorry to inform you that your Noritsu scanner is a piece of junk!
I have to agree that in providing the most expedient results for the least amount of money, it failed to deliver. Since I am not familiar with the workings of the Noritsu, perhaps there is a setting or two that could provide a more "correct" scan . . .
12-21-2014, 01:29 PM - 4 Likes   #10598
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,805
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
For me the same applies to pictures, what I want to see is what's on the film,not how the scanner "interpretates" the data.
If you want "straight from the negative", this is what you'll get. And without "interpretation", this is all you'll get.


12-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #10599
Pentaxian
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,323
The lab I sent my Ektar to uses a Noritsu and the results are superb so I guess, as with most equipment, the operator is as important as the gear...
12-21-2014, 01:44 PM   #10600
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I have to agree that in providing the most expedient results for the least amount of money, it failed to deliver. Since I am not familiar with the workings of the Noritsu, perhaps there is a setting or two that could provide a more "correct" scan . . .
Yes, somebody here already implied that it's your fault, not the Noritsu's...

---------- Post added 12-21-14 at 01:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
If you want "straight from the negative", this is what you'll get. And without "interpretation", this is all you'll get.
Wrong example...try a B&W one or a slide. OR you can try to print well that negative and scan the resulting pic straight from it. That would be a better "experiment".
12-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #10601
Site Supporter
mattt's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Niagara
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,659
The points on scanner / scanner software up above is really stunning - I know my V500 is a limitation but I didn't realize how much. This is Epson Scan of Portra 400. K1000 / SMC Pentax 55mm f2.0 (shooting a month with it for Single In)



I'm a hack at scanning, so if there are any glaring suggestions to be made please feel free! Cheers.
12-21-2014, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #10602
Loyal Site Supporter
baro-nite's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,298
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
If you want "straight from the negative", this is what you'll get. And without "interpretation", this is all you'll get.
I like it! Very interesting color palette.

Although, seriously, looking at an image this way is an effective way to analyze composition. And this one is very nice. I've started using depth-of-field previewing a lot recently, for the same reason -- the dim viewfinder makes it easy to ignore detail and texture and instead focus on the overall tonality.
12-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #10603
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,805
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
The points on scanner / scanner software up above is really stunning - I know my V500 is a limitation but I didn't realize how much. This is Epson Scan of Portra 400. K1000 / SMC Pentax 55mm f2.0 (shooting a month with it for Single In)

I'm a hack at scanning, so if there are any glaring suggestions to be made please feel free! Cheers.
How is your V500 a limitation?
Your scan looks pretty good to me.

---------- Post added 12-21-2014 at 05:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I conclude saying that for me scanning is just a way to share the pics online, and that's the way I intend to do that, I prefer to check the negatives or the slides to understand if it's a good picture or not, but of course it's not possible to publish online something straight and a digitalisation is necessary, but IMO it should be as neutral as possible without any attempt to improve or manipulate the results....if I were fine with that I would simply go DSLR.[COLOR="Silver"]



For me the same applies to pictures, what I want to see is what's on the film,not how the scanner "interpretates" the data.
I would love to hear your process for getting from a strip of negative film to a positive digital image. How are you insuring that you end up with a "correct" rendition of what is exactly on the film? What is your reference for knowing exactly what the positive image ought to look like?
How do you see a positive image from negative film without inverting or "interpreting" it?
12-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #10604
Site Supporter
mattt's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Niagara
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,659
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
How is your V500 a limitation?
I've had issues with poorly exposed frames, and I don't feel I have the skill / tools to get the most out of the negative.

This image left me underwhelmed - I supposed the mixed light is the cause, but It just leaves me wanting more. Thoughts? Again, Portra 400, but indoors with ambient light at a shutter speed that should be faster.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
K1000  Photo 
12-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #10605
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,927
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I've had issues with poorly exposed frames, and I don't feel I have the skill / tools to get the most out of the negative.

This image left me underwhelmed - I supposed the mixed light is the cause, but It just leaves me wanting more. Thoughts? Again, Portra 400, but indoors with ambient light at a shutter speed that should be faster.
I agree and this can trick auto exposure of scans. However, a simple white balance - off the socks, warmed it up a little. Is this the kind of color you would prefer?

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
architecture, details, ektar, exposure, film, goats, grandma, hood, kodachrome, kodak, lab, legs, lens, lunch, lx, mx, pentax, phil, photos, post, q7, roll, sarajevo, scans, shot, shots, steve, thanks, tokina, velvia
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K20D test shots at Lets Go Digital schufosi777 Pentax News and Rumors 6 04-20-2013 11:31 AM
Macro Cool Macro shots derajjjg Post Your Photos! 2 12-27-2009 09:36 PM
Lets see your Moon and Mars shots Igilligan Post Your Photos! 9 12-05-2009 08:55 AM
Way cool bat shots and General Talk 7 10-01-2009 02:54 AM
Cool Shots & Info Fl_Gulfer Post Your Photos! 0 12-10-2007 11:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:58 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top