Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2015, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #10696
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
A rescan trying to get the purple out of the blacks
New Portra 160, Jobo C-41 Press Kit

What did you do differently this time?
How did you go about removing the purple cast?

---------- Post added 01-06-2015 at 10:27 AM ----------

Zenza Bronica ETR-Si
135W Panoramic Back
Zenzanon EII 75/2.8
Fujicolor Superia X-TRA 400
Epson V500

01-06-2015, 11:47 AM   #10697
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
What did you do differently this time?
How did you go about removing the purple cast?
By trial and error with the color settings in the scanning software. It's a PITA. The auto WB does not work without a profile for that film I think or it's my scanner's light source. I'm not sure which but WB is really hard for me on some color negatives.

This winter has been a good time to get a lot of older shots updated for Flickr since it didn't adapt all my files to its new format after a certain date. They want you to re-upload them. Plus it's an opportunity to update some to a 16-bit workflow.
01-06-2015, 04:57 PM   #10698
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
By trial and error with the color settings in the scanning software. It's a PITA. The auto WB does not work without a profile for that film I think or it's my scanner's light source. I'm not sure which but WB is really hard for me on some color negatives.

This winter has been a good time to get a lot of older shots updated for Flickr since it didn't adapt all my files to its new format after a certain date. They want you to re-upload them. Plus it's an opportunity to update some to a 16-bit workflow.
Aah, that's pretty much what I do. I've found that setting the black point of the unexposed film base will often result in a slight color cast in the shadows.
Are you participating in Flickr's image licensing program?
01-06-2015, 06:54 PM   #10699
Pentaxian

Are you participating in Flickr's image licensing program?
Nope.

01-07-2015, 03:46 AM - 2 Likes   #10700
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zenza Bronica ETR-Si
135W Panoramic Back
Zenzanon EII 75/2.8
Fujicolor Superia X-TRA 400
Epson V500
You have a good eye.
01-07-2015, 04:58 AM   #10701
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
When I was a schoolchild in the mid-1960s we visited the Missouri at dock in Bremerton for a field trip. It was a big deal even then.
Well, I can assure you it was a big deal for me then. Quite unexpected. We had rented a motor home, driven it up from Whittier, CA with a turnaround point of Vancouver, BC, and just happened to stop in Bremmerton because one of my wife's friends lived there. It was at night, I recall, and we were driving into town along a street that paralleled the harbor, and I saw this giant ship come into view with a big 63 on its bow, and passing it, I saw another with 62, and I was thinking to myself -- naw, it can't be! Aren't those Iowa class battleships with those numbers? Sure enough. I found out from my wife's friend's husband about battleship row. So the next day, I borrowed his pickup, grabbed my camera and a couple rolls of film and headed for the docks. It was a real treat, one I'll never forget. Right across the walkway leading into the Missouri was the New Jersey (she wasn't open to the public) and beyond her were four or five carriers. The most naval tonnage I'd ever seen in my life. It was a serendipitous event, and ended up being the high point of the entire 2500 mile trip for me.

Speaking of trips, I visited Japan when I was still pretty much a rookie at photography. I shot ISO 400 Fujichrome during the entire trip. The grain ended up being surprisingly mild. Fuji's processing for their slides is a different process from E-6 in Japan, and that might be the reason for the finer grain. I dunno. I arrived in Japan with a Canon AE-1, a surprisingly sharp and contrasty Albinar 80-200 f/3.9 and a so-so Albinar 28mm, along with the 50mm f/1.8 that came with the camera. When I was in Osaka, I bought an A-1, which I used for most of the rest of the time I was there. So here are a few shots from that visit:

Himeji Castle. I visited several castles when I was in Japan, including Osaka Castle, which is probably the most famous and which was celebrating its 400th birthday when I was there. But for sheer size and magnificence, I thought Himeji was the most impressive.

Another shot of Himeji-jo:

And Osaka Castle. It was extremely crowded when I was there, what with the birthday celebration going on and all.

Kinkakuji, the Golden Pavilion:

The "imaginary chicken" perched atop the Golden Pavilion. I was told in all seriousness by a Japanese man that this effigy atop the Golden Pavilion was the "imaginary chicken." He was quite emphatic about it, so I didn't argue. Geez, sometimes things just sound funny in translation, even if it is accurate. Nonetheless, a smoother translation to English would probably be "fantasy chicken" or perhaps "mythical chicken."

A stone stairway on the grounds of the Golden Pavilion. As you can see, I arrived in Japan during the peak of Fall color:

More Fall colors at the Golden Pavilion's grounds:

The famous Kamakura Buddha

The entrance to the famous Ryoanji Temple:

Ryoanji's famous rock garden:

A temple purification station. Not sure which one it was anymore -- probably Ryoanji, but I know it was in Kyoto.

Okay, that's enough for this post. I've got more of my Japan visit if you'd like to see them.
01-07-2015, 11:50 AM   #10702
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
The "imaginary chicken" perched atop the Golden Pavilion.
Dang, it may be imaginary, but it sure is BIG! 3400px BIG!

Steve

01-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #10703
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Very cool. The Japanese Garden in Portland, Oregon has a replica that I have photographed.

Steve
01-08-2015, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #10704

Photos: Albums
BW400cn super program A 50 1.2. It's tree bark if your wondering, it took me a minute to remember what exactly the hell I took a picture of.

01-09-2015, 02:01 AM   #10705
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Okay, that's enough for this post. I've got more of my Japan visit if you'd like to see them.
Excellent series of great shots - you did splendidly as for a 'rookie' in photography :P - share more if you can
01-09-2015, 05:26 AM   #10706
Forum Member

Well, I can assure you it was a big deal for me then. Quite unexpected. We had rented a motor home, driven it up from Whittier, CA with a turnaround point of Vancouver, BC, and just happened to stop in Bremmerton because one of my wife's friends lived there. It was at night, I recall, and we were driving into town along a street that paralleled the harbor, and I saw this giant ship come into view with a big 63 on its bow, and passing it, I saw another with 62, and I was thinking to myself -- naw, it can't be! Aren't those Iowa class battleships with those numbers? Sure enough. I found out from my wife's friend's husband about battleship row. So the next day, I borrowed his pickup, grabbed my camera and a couple rolls of film and headed for the docks. It was a real treat, one I'll never forget. Right across the walkway leading into the Missouri was the New Jersey (she wasn't open to the public) and beyond her were four or five carriers. The most naval tonnage I'd ever seen in my life. It was a serendipitous event, and ended up being the high point of the entire 2500 mile trip for me.

Speaking of trips, I visited Japan when I was still pretty much a rookie at photography. I shot ISO 400 Fujichrome during the entire trip. The grain ended up being surprisingly mild. Fuji's processing for their slides is a different process from E-6 in Japan, and that might be the reason for the finer grain. I dunno. I arrived in Japan with a Canon AE-1, a surprisingly sharp and contrasty Albinar 80-200 f/3.9 and a so-so Albinar 28mm, along with the 50mm f/1.8 that came with the camera. When I was in Osaka, I bought an A-1, which I used for most of the rest of the time I was there. So here are a few shots from that visit:

Himeji Castle. I visited several castles when I was in Japan, including Osaka Castle, which is probably the most famous and which was celebrating its 400th birthday when I was there. But for sheer size and magnificence, I thought Himeji was the most impressive.

Another shot of Himeji-jo:

And Osaka Castle. It was extremely crowded when I was there, what with the birthday celebration going on and all.

Kinkakuji, the Golden Pavilion:

The "imaginary chicken" perched atop the Golden Pavilion. I was told in all seriousness by a Japanese man that this effigy atop the Golden Pavilion was the "imaginary chicken." He was quite emphatic about it, so I didn't argue. Geez, sometimes things just sound funny in translation, even if it is accurate. Nonetheless, a smoother translation to English would probably be "fantasy chicken" or perhaps "mythical chicken."

A stone stairway on the grounds of the Golden Pavilion. As you can see, I arrived in Japan during the peak of Fall color:

More Fall colors at the Golden Pavilion's grounds:

The famous Kamakura Buddha

The entrance to the famous Ryoanji Temple:

A temple purification station. Not sure which one it was anymore -- probably Ryoanji, but I know it was in Kyoto.

Pretty nice set of memories....thank you for sharing,
01-09-2015, 12:43 PM   #10707
Veteran Member

Zenza Bronica S2
Zenzanon MC 80/2.4
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V500
01-09-2015, 01:39 PM   #10708
Veteran Member

Zenza Bronica S2
Zenzanon MC 80/2.4
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V500
Very sharp shot from a classic old camera. Just a question about your scan, though -- did you happen to check your white balance? I see you used Ektar on an Epson scanner. My experiences with Ektar on my Epson scanners is that mid-Earth tones scan as purples, and I have to go back and do a white balance correction on the scans. When I look at the street in your photo, I see purple. Hence my question about white balance.
01-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #10709
Veteran Member

Very sharp shot from a classic old camera. Just a question about your scan, though -- did you happen to check your white balance? I see you used Ektar on an Epson scanner. My experiences with Ektar on my Epson scanners is that mid-Earth tones scan as purples, and I have to go back and do a white balance correction on the scans. When I look at the street in your photo, I see purple. Hence my question about white balance.
I set everything manually in Epson Scan.
I have my monitor profiled to AdobeRGB, and I have Epson Scan set to output to AdobeRGB. On my monitor, I see no purple in the street. I wonder if I converted it to sRGB it might look more neutral for you.
01-09-2015, 02:10 PM   #10710
Veteran Member

Part Two -- my visit to Japan, 1983.

Okayaman Castle. This is a small "pocket castle" in Okayama, on south Honshu Island (but north of Hiroshima), the farthest south I got in my trip.

Following are more pics from within the grounds at the Ryoanji Temple. This first one is a large bell.

A small courtyard, I guess you'd call it

A lake on the temple grounds

The O-Series Shinkansen. That is, the older model of the Bullet Train. Still, it was plenty fast enough: 200kph, felt like I was flying, but just inches off the ground.

Akihabara at night. The Akihabara District of Tokyo is famous for its many shops that deal in electronics of all sorts. This is an example of a pic I took, not knowing any better about "proper exposure," etc. I snapped it as I strolled across the street. Probably had a dinky 188A flash sitting atop my camera, figuring it would light things up. Well, I dunno about the aperture, but the shutter speed was almost certainly 1/60 second, and, as you can see, there was plenty of light with this ISO 400 film to render an adequately exposed photo. Sometimes it pays better to be lucky than good. Wish I would have taken more night photos, though. This one is barely adequate.

A fish monger's stand at an outdoor Tokyo market.

One of many shrines scattered throughout Japan. I don't recall the city anymore -- probably Kyoto. I call this one the Billion Buddhas Shrine.

I'm a guitarist. And I reckon a guitar shop is a guitar shop, no matter where in the world you are.

And lastly, Tokyo Disneyland! At dusk.

---------- Post added 01-09-15 at 03:17 PM ----------

I set everything manually in Epson Scan.
I have my monitor profiled to AdobeRGB, and I have Epson Scan set to output to AdobeRGB. On my monitor, I see no purple in the street. I wonder if I converted it to sRGB it might look more neutral for you.
Good question. I have no idea. Far as that goes, it might be the monitor on this dinky Dell laptop. Honestly, I hadn't thought of it. I don't always trust the color balance on some laptops I use, although this one is usually pretty good.