Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #11056
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Looks like the Granit 11 is a good lens.
I like the train cars best.
I have the hardest time scanning Portra 160. I feel like I can never get the colors right.[COLOR="Silver"]
The Granit is a good Soviet zoom in Nikon Ai mount originally made for the Kiev 17-18-19-20 SLRs, I like it more than the contemporary Nikon zooms, the problem is that it's very heavy and this lens plus a Nikon F2 weight like a Kalashnikov.

This is another Granit shot, I tried to take a urban landscape with hills and mountains in the foreground, unfortunately the air wasn't that clear because of thermal inversion:

For these applications Ektar is better but for general use I like Portra...I like the colours anyhow.

Perhaps Ektar would have given me a more saturated Cardinal Red but I'm happy with it.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 04-16-2015 at 01:12 PM.
04-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #11057
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some Horizon 202 fun!

Horizon 202
Lomography Color 100
Epson V500
04-16-2015, 09:50 PM   #11058
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Perhaps Ektar would have given me a more saturated Cardinal Red but I'm happy with it.
Is that the color Chevrolet calls it? Cuz to me it looks like Chevy's "Racing Red" which always had a lot of orange in it. Ektar might have been too much. I really like Portra for its color accuracy.
04-17-2015, 01:27 AM   #11059
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Is that the color Chevrolet calls it? Cuz to me it looks like Chevy's "Racing Red" which always had a lot of orange in it. Ektar might have been too much. I really like Portra for its color accuracy.
GM / General Motors Cardinal Red / #b5342d Hex Color Code Schemes, Charts, Palettes, Paints & RGB / CMYK / HSL Conversion

It's the same Dupont colour Fender was using for its guitars, but they call it "fiesta red"....do you think Portra made a good job replicating it?

---------- Post added 04-17-15 at 02:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Some Horizon 202 fun!

Horizon 202
Lomography Color 100

Epson V500

You got the Coltoncamera as i suggested!

Last edited by Cuthbert; 04-17-2015 at 02:16 AM.
04-17-2015, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #11060
Veteran Member

You got the Coltoncamera as i suggested!
Yup

Here's one from my recently acquired Minolta PROD-20'S

Minolta PROD-20'S
Lomography Color 400
Epson V500
04-17-2015, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #11061
Veteran Member

GM / General Motors Cardinal Red / #b5342d Hex Color Code Schemes, Charts, Palettes, Paints & RGB / CMYK / HSL Conversion

It's the same Dupont colour Fender was using for its guitars, but they call it "fiesta red"....do you think Portra made a good job replicating it?

Yes. It might be called Cardinal Red, and for all I know "Chevy Racing Red" may have just been a nickname, but when I see that color, I think bowtie. My experience with Portra is if the photo is exposed well, the colors will be accurate. Here are some examples of my own. But I have no idea what the colors are called.

And a wide shot with some more color:

The film was Portra 160. Taken with a Bronica ETRSi, scanned at 2400 ppi with an Epson 4990 scanner using EpsonScan software, pretty much set to the defaults. Very minimal processing done in post.
04-18-2015, 11:19 AM   #11062
Veteran Member

Yes. It might be called Cardinal Red, and for all I know "Chevy Racing Red" may have just been a nickname, but when I see that color, I think bowtie. My experience with Portra is if the photo is exposed well, the colors will be accurate. Here are some examples of my own. But I have no idea what the colors are called.

And a wide shot with some more color:

The film was Portra 160. Taken with a Bronica ETRSi, scanned at 2400 ppi with an Epson 4990 scanner using EpsonScan software, pretty much set to the defaults. Very minimal processing done in post.

Nice shoots Cooltouch, out of curiosity, do you use polarised filter for chromed objects? I tried a film of Portra 160 with a linear polarised filter on my F2AS and I'm happy of the results:

Probably that filter would have helped me with this tough Guzzi green:

04-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #11063
Veteran Member

Well, that's a nice looking pair of Guzzi's, but it has always been my understanding that a polarizer doesn't have any effect on highly reflective metal surfaces. I just did a google search on the topic and the comments I found agree with my recollections. Both of those bikes were in at least partial shade, which probably helped knock down the reflections somewhat. Oh, and I agree -- I think a polarizer would have helped with the green Guzzi. Seems to be a fair amount of glare coming off its tank and the overall color is sort of washed out. Not only will a polarizer eliminate reflections from non-metallic subjects, but it also works to increase contrast. The top two photos do show nice contrast.
04-18-2015, 03:53 PM - 2 Likes   #11064

Last week I took my girlfriend's Canon Eos 300, which she was not using at all and here are some of the results. All were taken with same lens (28-80mm, kit lens of the camera) and same film, tudorcolor xlx 200. I didn't know if the camera was working or not, so bought the cheapest film, but I like the results so much. Now I got a Portra 160 in it and can't wait to see the results.

04-18-2015, 05:37 PM   #11065
Veteran Member

Well, that's a nice looking pair of Guzzi's, but it has always been my understanding that a polarizer doesn't have any effect on highly reflective metal surfaces. I just did a google search on the topic and the comments I found agree with my recollections. Both of those bikes were in at least partial shade, which probably helped knock down the reflections somewhat. Oh, and I agree -- I think a polarizer would have helped with the green Guzzi. Seems to be a fair amount of glare coming off its tank and the overall color is sort of washed out. Not only will a polarizer eliminate reflections from non-metallic subjects, but it also works to increase contrast. The top two photos do show nice contrast.
Actually I was a linear polariser, one of these that rotates with your hood, and I could definitely see the reflections from the chrome being minimised at a certain angle, like I could see through the water in this shot:

That was interesting and I think everytime I have to shoot water or chrome with strong light I'll use a linear filter.
04-18-2015, 08:25 PM   #11066
Veteran Member

Hmm . . . interesting. You have a linear polarizer that appears to be defying the laws of physics. The reason why a polarizer (doesn't matter if it's linear or circular) doesn't reduce reflections from metallic objects is because light reflected off a bright metallic surface is already polarized, so it has no effect. Now, there is an angular change from incident to reflective light, but the polarization is not changed. Perhaps this is what you're seeing.

Cf:
Polarization of light
and
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/polarization-change-upon-reflection.175337/
Do a text search on 'metal'. Those sites explain things better than I can.

On the topic of polarizers, I actually have a comment and a question. Actually a couple of questions. First, I've never even used a circular polarizer, so I don't know if it responds differently from a linear one in this situation.

Have you ever used a polarizer to take a photo of the sky, hoping to get a nice, deep blue coloration of the sky, only to find that half of the sky was deep blue and half was not affected? Well, I found out why I was having this sort of problem with my sky photos. I wasn't pointing my camera at the right areas of the sky.

I learned from a physics class how to tell what areas of the sky are polarized. If you open your hand out flat with your thumb pointed upward, point your thumb at the sun. Now, sweep your fingers left to right (or right to left) as if your hand is pivoting on your thumb. The area of the sky being swept by your fingers is the area of the sky that will be polarized. IOW, polarization occurs at right angles to the light source. Once I found out about this I was able to position myself when shooting the sky so that the entire sky in the frame would be benefiting from the polarizer.

My second question is related to this. As I recall, circular polarizers became popular because they didn't affect a camera's metering system to the extent a linear polarizer does. Am I remembering this correctly? I'm also curious if a circular polarizer will have the same effect and follow the same "hand rule" that linear polarizers do.

Last edited by cooltouch; 04-18-2015 at 08:46 PM.
04-19-2015, 03:42 AM   #11067
Veteran Member

Mike I tell you what I saw through the viewfinder: if chrome doesn't reflect unpolarised light it measn that it acts as a polarising filter and I find it hard to believe, if you look at the vintage Guzzi the fender is in full light and it has a blue tint, usually without filter chrome looks bright white, I should have taken the same pic without filter but I was going to the hospital for medical checks.

However it's true that when you rotate the linear filter the exposure changes and you can clearly see it darkens the viewfinder, BTW the filter I used is Pentax and was given to me by my tech as a gift to "remove chrome and water reflections"...it works well, I didn't notice any effect on the sky but perhaps because I was mostly shooting at water:

This one is pretty good because it shows how it increases the transparency of water:

04-19-2015, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #11068
Pentaxian

Check out the depth of field

ME Super, Fuji 400H and M 50/1.7

Fuji 400H Pentax ME Super
by Jonathan_in_Madrid, on Flickr

And some skyscraper shots with the same film and camera but a wider lens - I can't remember if it was the M 35/2, M 28/2.8 or Vivitar 28/2.

04-19-2015, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #11069
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

The first one is awesome!
I'm guessing it's Bonsai?
04-19-2015, 04:57 PM   #11070
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

And some skyscraper shots with the same film and camera but a wider lens - I can't remember if it was the M 35/2, M 28/2.8 or Vivitar 28/2.

That's not Madrid... Nice photos!