Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2015, 08:43 AM   #11176
Loyal Site Supporter
Jacquot's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,212
Looks like a studio shot, you got it!

05-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #11177
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Looks like a studio shot, you got it!
Thanks, David.
05-16-2015, 09:51 AM   #11178
Pentaxian
cooltouch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 555
Can't help but wonder where the rest of the bike went. Great composition, though.

Say Colton, seeing how prolific you are with film cameras, what -- do you just take a camera with you everywhere you go? And I'm also curious -- are you using a local pro lab to develop your film, do you send it out, or do it yourself? Me, I'm finding it more difficult to find a local lab that will process film anymore, except the last pro lab left in Houston. They do a great job, but their prices are a little on the high side. So I've decided to start doing my own processing. I've already processed several rolls of slides, and they came out great. I have some C-41 chemicals I haven't mixed yet. My stockpile of undeveloped C-41 film is growing, though, so I'm gonna have to get busy and develop my C-41 rolls.
05-16-2015, 10:35 AM   #11179
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Can't help but wonder where the rest of the bike went. Great composition, though.

Say Colton, seeing how prolific you are with film cameras, what -- do you just take a camera with you everywhere you go? And I'm also curious -- are you using a local pro lab to develop your film, do you send it out, or do it yourself? Me, I'm finding it more difficult to find a local lab that will process film anymore, except the last pro lab left in Houston. They do a great job, but their prices are a little on the high side. So I've decided to start doing my own processing. I've already processed several rolls of slides, and they came out great. I have some C-41 chemicals I haven't mixed yet. My stockpile of undeveloped C-41 film is growing, though, so I'm gonna have to get busy and develop my C-41 rolls.
Michael,

I'm permanently disabled (ALS), and photography is basically the reason I'm still sane I've been disabled for 5 years now which is a really long time if you have nothing to do.
I don't take a camera with me everywhere I go, I usually take 2 or 3 with me
I usually only shoot 1-2 rolls of film a week though. I just got home from a week long trip to Washington D.C. (my first time ther) and I barely shot 2 rolls of film, 1 645 roll and 1 35mm roll.

Due to my health, I can't do any of my own developing so I send all my film to 2 different labs to be developed only. All my C-41 film gets developed at a very small local place. All my E-6 and B&W gets sent to a bigger lab in Eugene, OR. Sending film of is either very slow (2-4 weeks) or very expensive, so I mainly shoot C-41.
Once developed, I scan and and process all my images myself at home.

If I could do my own developing, I would probably shoot more B&W.

05-16-2015, 11:38 AM   #11180
Pentaxian
cooltouch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 555
Sorry to read about your disability, but I'm glad to read that you're doing your part to keep film alive. Shoot, for me, 1 to 2 rolls a week is a lot anymore these days. It all depends on the subject matter, though. If I find something good, then it doesn't take very long to burn through a couple of rolls. Problem is, living here in Houston, I just haven't found many spots that are very photogenic. I've always been an outdoor photographer, and this place definitely cramps my style. Nothing like California, where I used to live.
05-16-2015, 12:46 PM - 3 Likes   #11181
Pentaxian
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,323
Means of staying sane or not, you have developed a style of your own which makes your images instantly recognisable and very much the sort of thing I like. Occasionally I take a photo and think "very Colton... " I'm hoping to find some time this summer to work on my scanning to try and match the quality of yours. I took a set of pictures of doors a couple of years back that I'd like to turn into s poster, but the commercial scans were lo-res and too small for the job, and I am too much of a skin-flint to pay for drum scans. Here is the poster (I may have posted this before...)


Sibiu (poster) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Best wishes, Kris.
05-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #11182
Pentaxian
cooltouch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 555
Very cool, Kris. Is Sibiu a place?
05-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #11183
Pentaxian
womble's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,323
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Very cool, Kris. Is Sibiu a place?
Yes. It is a lovely historic town in southern Transylvania, Romania.

Best wishes, Kris.

05-16-2015, 02:19 PM   #11184
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Sorry to read about your disability, but I'm glad to read that you're doing your part to keep film alive. Shoot, for me, 1 to 2 rolls a week is a lot anymore these days. It all depends on the subject matter, though. If I find something good, then it doesn't take very long to burn through a couple of rolls. Problem is, living here in Houston, I just haven't found many spots that are very photogenic. I've always been an outdoor photographer, and this place definitely cramps my style. Nothing like California, where I used to live.
You just need to photograph the non photogenic stuff

---------- Post added 05-16-2015 at 02:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Means of staying sane or not, you have developed a style of your own which makes your images instantly recognisable and very much the sort of thing I like. Occasionally I take a photo and think "very Colton... " I'm hoping to find some time this summer to work on my scanning to try and match the quality of yours. I took a set of pictures of doors a couple of years back that I'd like to turn into s poster, but the commercial scans were lo-res and too small for the job, and I am too much of a skin-flint to pay for drum scans. Here is the poster (I may have posted this before...)


Sibiu (poster) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

Best wishes, Kris.

That would make a really great poster.
Nice work Kris!
05-16-2015, 02:55 PM - 2 Likes   #11185
Pentaxian
cooltouch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 555
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
You just need to photograph the non photogenic stuff

---------- Post added 05-16-2015 at 02:21 PM ----------
Hrm . . . I suspect that's actually very good advice. Teach me to stretch my mind some.
05-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #11186
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
I feel a little bit like Michael and Colton, on one side at the moment besides working I don't have much to do so photography helps me keeping my mental health balanced, on the other side I live in a boring place with little opportunity to photograph something interesting, in particular people.

Still, I like to take pics and every time I receive a new camera or a new developed film with 36+ good exposure and 10 pics I'm proud of I feel greatly rewarded.

For instance I found this object:



Interesting because it's unusual...and I used my F2AS, Nikkor 50mm f1.4 at f4 indoors and Portra 160 if I recall correctly.
05-16-2015, 07:21 PM - 2 Likes   #11187
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,921
In my experience, there is always something worth taking a photo of, regardless of where you are. The trick is seeing it
Years ago, I always wanted to go to exotic new places to get better photos. Then I challenged myself to find better photos locally. IMO, all my best/favorite photos were taken within 5 miles of my house.




Toyocaflex TLR Type Ib
Tri-Lausar Anastigmat 8cm/3.5
Expired Fujicolor Reala 100 @iso 25
Epson V500
05-16-2015, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #11188
Pentaxian
cooltouch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 555
Well, I'm a firm believer that some people are just born with a "good eye," and others have to practice at it. I think I'm somewhere in between. I've known people who took photos with a P&S camera that I was downright jealous of, they were so good. And I've gone back and looked at some of my earliest work, and I see a sort of innate ability that I had that sort of got lost along the way as I began to study photography. I've seen this sort of thing happen in various forms of expression, not just photography. And the trick is to be able to weather this process where you're learning how to be something you're already pretty good at, and not lose this earlier -- um, well it's almost an innocence. And I've found that, for me at least, it does come back. And it comes back when I've gotten to the point to where I don't really have to think anymore about what I'm supposed to do. I just do it. And when I finally get there, that innate talent begins to re-emerge. It's been difficult with me and photography -- mostlly because I specialized in an area where I just don't have the access I used to (motorsports, especially road races). I had gotten good at it, and I guess I'm still fighting to keep hold of it, when I should be busy moving on so I can find all the other workable subjects around me.

One thing I find that helps in that regard is to take a film camera with one lens and go out and search for subjects. It forces me to move in relation to my subject instead of using a zoom or rummaging around for a different focal length. It also forces me to optimize the shot to the greatest extent I can since have only the one lens. My problem, though, is I get lazy when I go out shooting -- or actually it's not really being lazy having to schlep around 50 pounds of photo gear -- but I'm losing sight of the forest for the trees perhaps. I'm letting the gear get in the way of the photographs. Does that make sense?
05-16-2015, 08:17 PM   #11189
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Well, I'm a firm believer that some people are just born with a "good eye," and others have to practice at it. I think I'm somewhere in between. I've known people who took photos with a P&S camera that I was downright jealous of, they were so good. And I've gone back and looked at some of my earliest work, and I see a sort of innate ability that I had that sort of got lost along the way as I began to study photography. I've seen this sort of thing happen in various forms of expression, not just photography. And the trick is to be able to weather this process where you're learning how to be something you're already pretty good at, and not lose this earlier -- um, well it's almost an innocence. And I've found that, for me at least, it does come back. And it comes back when I've gotten to the point to where I don't really have to think anymore about what I'm supposed to do. I just do it. And when I finally get there, that innate talent begins to re-emerge. It's been difficult with me and photography -- mostlly because I specialized in an area where I just don't have the access I used to (motorsports, especially road races). I had gotten good at it, and I guess I'm still fighting to keep hold of it, when I should be busy moving on so I can find all the other workable subjects around me.

One thing I find that helps in that regard is to take a film camera with one lens and go out and search for subjects. It forces me to move in relation to my subject instead of using a zoom or rummaging around for a different focal length. It also forces me to optimize the shot to the greatest extent I can since have only the one lens. My problem, though, is I get lazy when I go out shooting -- or actually it's not really being lazy having to schlep around 50 pounds of photo gear -- but I'm losing sight of the forest for the trees perhaps. I'm letting the gear get in the way of the photographs. Does that make sense?
That does make sense. It's definitely a balancing act trying to keep on track and inspired, but not get carried away with gear. I tend to get very inspired by new gear, so if I'm not careful I feel like I need something new to get inspired again.

It definitely helps to go out with one camera and one lens.
I've also found that not using a viewfinder helps as it forces to compose without the camera, and you learn to "see" photos.
05-16-2015, 08:54 PM   #11190
Pentaxian
cooltouch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 555
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I've also found that not using a viewfinder helps as it forces to compose without the camera, and you learn to "see" photos.
This is another good observation. Tell me, have you ever thought about teaching a class in photography? I'll bet you'd be good at it.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
architecture, details, ektar, exposure, film, goats, grandma, hood, kodachrome, kodak, lab, legs, lens, lunch, lx, mx, pentax, phil, photos, post, q7, roll, sarajevo, scans, shot, shots, steve, thanks, tokina, velvia
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K20D test shots at Lets Go Digital schufosi777 Pentax News and Rumors 6 04-20-2013 11:31 AM
Macro Cool Macro shots derajjjg Post Your Photos! 2 12-27-2009 09:36 PM
Lets see your Moon and Mars shots Igilligan Post Your Photos! 9 12-05-2009 08:55 AM
Way cool bat shots and General Talk 7 10-01-2009 02:54 AM
Cool Shots & Info Fl_Gulfer Post Your Photos! 0 12-10-2007 11:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top