Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2015, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #11281
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,044
I previously posted this image captured using my Pentax LX+Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 with about a 15minute aperture priority autoexposure on Kodak Ektar 100 of Hoover Dam and new bypass bridge from the Arizona side parking lot.



It may be easier to advantage of the light gathering capability of the Pentax LX given a reference. So I recently found a similar shot from the same vantage point that I had taken with my Canon EOS3 using Velvia 100F many years back. The difference of course is that the Canon EOS3 - and all other Canons with aperture priority autoexpose, is limited to a maximum autoexposure time of 30 seconds.



05-23-2015, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #11282
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,994
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I previously posted this image captured using my Pentax LX+Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 with about a 15minute aperture priority autoexposure on Kodak Ektar 100 of Hoover Dam and new bypass bridge from the Arizona side parking lot.



It may be easier to advantage of the light gathering capability of the Pentax LX given a reference. So I recently found a similar shot from the same vantage point that I had taken with my Canon EOS3 using Velvia 100F many years back. The difference of course is that the Canon EOS3 - and all other Canons with aperture priority autoexpose, is limited to a maximum autoexposure time of 30 seconds.
Some of what this shows is attributable to the difference of Velvia and Ektar. In bright daylight shooting, the difference between the 2 films (contrast wise) is pretty massive, not to mention that most scanners have tremendous difficulty getting detail from shadows on Velvia.
But, for long nighttime exposures, regular pre-exposure TTL metering could never compete with OTF metering.
05-23-2015, 07:37 PM - 4 Likes   #11283
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,994

Rolleiflex 3.5F
Schneider Kreuznach Xenotar 75/3.5
Kodak New Portra 400
Epson V500
05-23-2015, 08:07 PM   #11284
Site Supporter
grhazelton's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,829
QuoteOriginally posted by samtr87 Quote
These are from February, taken the same time as the other car photos. Just finally got through the roll and got it developed. Took three weeks just for the processing.

On a side note, Walmart has dramatically increased their 120 send out prices. A few months ago it was under $2 to develop and get (crappy) 4x4 prints. Today it was $11.52 / roll. I guess I will either be finding somewhere else or shoot less medium format.

Camera was a Rolleiflex Automat Tessar 3.5 loaded with Ektar 100






In my area, just south of Atlanta, Walmart returns ONLY scans when they process your film. The negatives are discarded, presumably on the theory that no one shoots film other than in throwaway cameras, and no one cares about being able to print anything bigger than 4 x 6. Disgusting!

I imagine that the bean counters noted that sending scanned images to the local store for printing there was cheaper than sending the actual negatives. I hate those stores!!!!!!!!

05-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #11285
Pentaxian
arnold's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,295
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Rolleiflex 3.5F
Schneider Kreuznach Xenotar 75/3.5
Kodak New Portra 400
Epson V500
Good one, was it candid or posed?
05-23-2015, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #11286
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,994
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Good one, was it candid or posed?
It was candid.
Isaw the scene, quickly guessed exposure, preset focus, then quietly framed and snapped. I didn't really know if it would work out or not. Got lucky
05-24-2015, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #11287
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Houston TX
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 209
Singer - Songwriter Jacquie Shane about 1984.

Super Program 35-105mm f3.5 Kodak Gold 100
f3.5 at unrecorded shutter speed
Scanned on an Epson4870
Attached Images
 
05-24-2015, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #11288
Site Supporter
grhazelton's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jonesboro, GA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,829
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
It was candid.
Isaw the scene, quickly guessed exposure, preset focus, then quietly framed and snapped. I didn't really know if it would work out or not. Got lucky
Luck. Colton, photographically, your luck is what Cartier-Bresson had. Perhaps luck, but much experience and preparation.

05-24-2015, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #11289
Senior Member




Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Pensacola Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 130
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
It was candid.
Isaw the scene, quickly guessed exposure, preset focus, then quietly framed and snapped. I didn't really know if it would work out or not. Got lucky
Luck counts. When my team wins, and someone says they got lucky. That's my reply.
05-24-2015, 06:24 PM   #11290
Pentaxian
45 Mike's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,349
Some Ektar 100 shots processed in Unicolor at home, Agfa Billy II





05-25-2015, 10:05 AM   #11291
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Fairbanks, AK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,095
DA40 limited, Pentax ZX-7, LomoChrome Purple XR

[/URL]
purple32[/URL] by David Dawson[/URL], on Flickr


I'm building up a pile of 120 film from my YashicaMat along with some slides through my new-to-me and freshly CLA's Olympus 35 RD, hopefully I'll have something less surreal soon.
05-25-2015, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #11292
Pentaxian
g026r's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,420
A number of different photos here.

First: Pentax 6x7. S-M-C Tak/6x7 90/2.8. Lomography Color Negative 800.

I don't know the actual source of this film. The box says "Made in China" and I don't know of any Chinese film producers currently producing colour emulsions, let alone 800 ISO ones. There's a definite faint pinkish tone to highlights, though these tulips actually are pink. Quality control on Lomography's colour 120 films that I've shot seems iffy, and I wouldn't really recommend it. Their B&W 120 seems fine, but it's just rebranded Fomapan.



Next: Pentax K2. smc Pentax-A 50/2. AgfaPhoto Vista Plus 200. (Which is just rebranded Fuji 200.)



And finally, two from a Meopta Flexaret Va. The first on Kodak Ektar, the second on Shanghai GP3. (I find the latter to be a nice 120 film to test on since it's extremely cheap yet still produces photos that I like, but I wouldn't use if I was actually shooting anything important.)




Last edited by g026r; 05-25-2015 at 02:25 PM.
05-25-2015, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #11293
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,044
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Some of what this shows is attributable to the difference of Velvia and Ektar. In bright daylight shooting, the difference between the 2 films (contrast wise) is pretty massive, not to mention that most scanners have tremendous difficulty getting detail from shadows on Velvia.
But, for long nighttime exposures, regular pre-exposure TTL metering could never compete with OTF metering.
No doubt there are likely considerable color response differences between Ektar 100 and Velvia 100F particularly since the former doesn't have any reciprocity compensation while the latter does. I believe they have the same contrast range but to your point Velvia 100F would be denser especially in this case as it is underexposed by quite a bit. However, the 30 second limitation of all Canons compared to the practically unlimited exposure time of the LX - in this case over 15 minutes, clearly shows the most significant difference.

---------- Post added 05-25-15 at 05:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Rolleiflex 3.5F
Schneider Kreuznach Xenotar 75/3.5
Kodak New Portra 400
Epson V500
Looks like a nice ad shot as you even left room on the left for text if needed.

---------- Post added 05-25-15 at 05:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
In my area, just south of Atlanta, Walmart returns ONLY scans when they process your film. The negatives are discarded, presumably on the theory that no one shoots film other than in throwaway cameras, and no one cares about being able to print anything bigger than 4 x 6. Disgusting!

I imagine that the bean counters noted that sending scanned images to the local store for printing there was cheaper than sending the actual negatives. I hate those stores!!!!!!!!
Kodak released some kiosks around Chicago a few years back that did exactly this. You drop off your film, it will process it to the point that it can scan and then just give you the CD as the film is worthless due to this abbreviated processing cycle.

I wouldn't consider it myself, but given that some people have a limited expectation, I am surprised they didn't continue - or expand it, more.

---------- Post added 05-25-15 at 05:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
DA40 limited, Pentax ZX-7, LomoChrome Purple XR

I'm building up a pile of 120 film from my YashicaMat along with some slides through my new-to-me and freshly CLA's Olympus 35 RD, hopefully I'll have something less surreal soon.
I am seeing some interesting results from this film. Thanks for sharing.

---------- Post added 05-25-15 at 05:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
A number of different photos here.

First: Pentax 6x7. S-M-C Tak/6x7 90/2.8. Lomography Color Negative 800.

I don't know the actual source of this film. The box says "Made in China" and there's a definite pinkish tone to highlights, but I don't know of any Chinese film producers currently producing colour emulsions, let alone 800 ISO ones. Quality control on Lomography's colour 120 films that I've shot seems iffy, and I wouldn't really recommend it. Their B&W 120 seems fine, but it's just rebranded Fomapan.

Next: Pentax K2. smc Pentax-A 50/2. AgfaPhoto Vista Plus 200. (Which is just rebranded Fuji 200.)

And finally, two from a Meopta Flexaret Va. The first on Kodak Ektar, the second on Shanghai GP3. (I find the latter to be a nice 120 film to test on since it's extremely cheap yet still produces photos that I like, but I wouldn't use if I was actually shooting anything important.)
Very nice!
05-25-2015, 07:51 PM   #11294
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,994

Rolleiflex 3.5F
Schneider Kreuznach Xenotar 75/3.5
Kodak New Portra 400
Epson V500
05-25-2015, 08:27 PM - 1 Like   #11295
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: launceston
Posts: 1,188
M2 + Portra 160


VM 35mm Color Skopar


VM 50mm Nokton


VM 50mm Nokton
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
architecture, details, ektar, exposure, film, goats, grandma, hood, kodachrome, kodak, lab, legs, lens, lunch, lx, mx, pentax, phil, photos, post, q7, roll, sarajevo, scans, shot, shots, steve, thanks, tokina, velvia
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K20D test shots at Lets Go Digital schufosi777 Pentax News and Rumors 6 04-20-2013 11:31 AM
Macro Cool Macro shots derajjjg Post Your Photos! 2 12-27-2009 09:36 PM
Lets see your Moon and Mars shots Igilligan Post Your Photos! 9 12-05-2009 08:55 AM
Way cool bat shots and General Talk 7 10-01-2009 02:54 AM
Cool Shots & Info Fl_Gulfer Post Your Photos! 0 12-10-2007 11:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:52 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top