Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2015, 01:41 PM - 2 Likes   #11356
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax P3, Ilford Delta HP-5 Plus 400 and three different lenses. Lens used for each shot is marked in the description. Developed and scanned by Ilford Labs in the UK.

- a gazebo in the old town of Tallinn.

- St. John's church in Tallinn.

- inside a modern art gallery. They had a whole room covered with plaster or concrete to create a texture as seen in the background. This is supposed to be art.

To see the rest of the shots from that roll of film follow the link : https://www.flickr.com/gp/112046005@N07/9F8f27

06-04-2015, 02:14 PM   #11357

Jonathan Mac, cooltouch, skierd, thank you for your help! As for TLRs, is their focusing accurate enough when shooting at f3,5-4,5?
06-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #11358
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
Jonathan Mac, cooltouch, skierd, thank you for your help! As for TLRs, is their focusing accurate enough when shooting at f3,5-4,5?
In my experience, all three of my TLRs focus very accurately.
I have a Toyocaflex from the 60s, which I paid $69 for, and I shot most of my last roll at f/3.5 and it worked great.
It does take some practice getting used to and focusing with a WLF though.
06-04-2015, 03:59 PM - 2 Likes   #11359

Canon Eos 300
Agfaphoto Vista 400

06-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #11360

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
In my experience, all three of my TLRs focus very accurately.
I have a Toyocaflex from the 60s, which I paid $69 for, and I shot most of my last roll at f/3.5 and it worked great.
It does take some practice getting used to and focusing with a WLF though.
Thank you, Colton!

All of you mentioned so many cameras that it is needed some time to me to figure out what exactly I need. However, at the moment I'm leaning toward a Yashica TLR.
I saw some photographs shot by Vivian Maier. They are just so great! (Maybe she is the best street photographer of all times, better than Bresson.) Here are some of her photographs:
http://www.cubebreaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/mystery-photographer-32.jpg?278dae
http://www.cubebreaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/mystery-photographer-22.jpg?278dae
http://www.cubebreaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/mystery-photographer-30.jpg?278dae
http://www.cubebreaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/mystery-photographer-33.jpg?278dae
http://www.cubebreaker.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/mystery-photographer-07.jpg?278dae
http://www.kulturologia.ru/files/u12645/Vivian-Maier-8.jpg

As far as I understood, the most part of her images she shot with Rolleiflex TLR. I don't know what was the widest aperture of her camera's lens (there were f2.8 and f3.5, right?), but her photographs have so much "3D-effect" from the technical point of view.
I would also like to get similar effect in my photographs.
What can you say about Yashica TLR's lenses? Will their f3.5 be fast enough? What can you say about their bokeh in comparison to Rolleiflex f3.5 or even f2.8? One of the reasons I am leaning toward Yashica is that it looks almost like Vivian Maier's Rolleiflex. It must be a good camera for fast and accurate focusing.
06-05-2015, 01:00 AM   #11361
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't have a Pentax 35mm SLR, but I took this photo of my dog with my Minolta Maxxum STsi. I didn't do any processing or anything, because I just loved the way it turned out.
Attached Images

06-05-2015, 03:13 AM - 3 Likes   #11362
Pentaxian

From my first 2 rolls of film

Fomapan 100 MX+50/1,7

06-05-2015, 04:50 AM   #11363
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
From my first 2 rolls of film

Fomapan 100 MX+50/1,7

Nice images. I assume that is you in the last one... That looks like a great bar, too.

06-05-2015, 09:44 AM - 3 Likes   #11364
Pentaxian

Thank you, Colton!

All of you mentioned so many cameras that it is needed some time to me to figure out what exactly I need. However, at the moment I'm leaning toward a Yashica TLR...

As far as I understood, the most part of her images she shot with Rolleiflex TLR. I don't know what was the widest aperture of her camera's lens (there were f2.8 and f3.5, right?), but her photographs have so much "3D-effect" from the technical point of view.
What can you say about Yashica TLR's lenses? Will their f3.5 be fast enough? What can you say about their bokeh in comparison to Rolleiflex f3.5 or even f2.8? One of the reasons I am leaning toward Yashica is that it looks almost like Vivian Maier's Rolleiflex. It must be a good camera for fast and accurate focusing.
I can share thoughts on a couple of those questions.

Maier (whose photographs and story are just amazing, I agree) shot with a few different cameras. She used a couple different Rolleiflex 3.5s as well as a 2.8. There's lots of great info on her here: FAQ | Vivian Maier Photographer

I've never shot a Yashica TLR but I've seen some great photos from them. Francesca Woodman, one of the greatest American art photographers of the 20th century (imo), shot primarily (maybe exclusively?) on a YashicaMat.

I love my Rolleiflex 3.5, although I am still debating about getting a brighter fresnel screen, like a Maxwell to make focusing easier. (I'd love a 2.8 but can't justify it for the money. I do like the bigger focusing knob on the 2.8, too.) The focus is accurate, but in some situations (indoors, available light) it can be hard to know if you've got it, especially if the point of focus is not in the center). The magnifying screen that flips down in the finder is essential; I use it all the time.

But when you get it, the shots are magical.

06-05-2015, 10:54 AM   #11365
Pentaxian

Thank you, Colton!

All of you mentioned so many cameras that it is needed some time to me to figure out what exactly I need. However, at the moment I'm leaning toward a Yashica TLR.

Depending on which Yashica you get, it will have either a 3 element Cooke Triplet type lens, or a 4 element Tessar type lens. The Yashinon is Tessar type, and the Yashikor and Yashimar are Triplets. AFAIK, all Yashica TLR lenses were manufactured by the Tomioka Optical Company, until Yashica bought Tomioka.
The triplets are usually not highly regarded, but they're actually quite good lenses. My Toyocaflex has a Tomioka made triplet and I'm quite impressed with it.
The Yashinon 4 element Tessar type is usually quite highly regarded, and is very sharp. I've shot a few frames with a friend's 124G, and it's definitely a good lens.

Bokeh wise, obviously none will quite compete with a Rollei 2.8

Here are 2 shots I did that will give you an idea of the kind of bokeh you might expect from a f/3.5 TLR

This first was done with my $69 Toyocaflex @f/3.5 and minimum focus distance,

This second one was done with a $900 Rolleiflex 3.5 with a 5 element Schneider Xenotar lens @f/3.5 and minimum focus distance.

A Tessar type lens should fall somewhere between those two.

Another option worth looking into would be a decent Rolleicord.
06-05-2015, 01:21 PM   #11366
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Another option worth looking into would be a decent Rolleicord.
Or maybe a Rolleiflex 3.5T? I was looking pretty hard at that before I bought my Rollei (MX-type).
06-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #11367
Pentaxian

FWIW, re: the TLR discussion, my Yashica-A with triplet f3.5 Yashikor lenses takes great photos from f3.5-f11 and the focussing is 100% reliable, even now it's nearly 60 years old. Whichever Yashica TLR you find, you will have a good time with it. If anything will show up imperfections, it's fine-grained 120 film, but my Yashikors are sharp as can be. They have the 'swirl' of triplet lenses in the out of focus areas if you shoot wide open, so that might be something to consider. Personally I quite like it.
06-05-2015, 04:30 PM   #11368
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alan_smithee_photos Quote
Or maybe a Rolleiflex 3.5T? I was looking pretty hard at that before I bought my Rollei (MX-type).
A Rolleiflex T would be great if you can find one decently priced. They mostly seem somewhat outrageously priced in the range of $500-$1100.
Actually, a decently priced Rolleiflex Automat is a great way to go. With either a Tessar or Xenar.

---------- Post added 06-05-2015 at 04:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
FWIW, re: the TLR discussion, my Yashica-A with triplet f3.5 Yashikor lenses takes great photos from f3.5-f11 and the focussing is 100% reliable, even now it's nearly 60 years old. Whichever Yashica TLR you find, you will have a good time with it. If anything will show up imperfections, it's fine-grained 120 film, but my Yashikors are sharp as can be. They have the 'swirl' of triplet lenses in the out of focus areas if you shoot wide open, so that might be something to consider. Personally I quite like it.
I've been scanning film that my Mom recently shot with her Yashica A and it shoots surprisingly well.
06-06-2015, 12:54 AM - 5 Likes   #11369
Pentaxian

Back in about 1984 or so I bought a new Yashica Mat 124G. At the time, it was regarded as the best way to get into medium format for somebody on a budget. The 124G sold new at discount stores for right about $150, and that's what I paid for mine. I bought it at Frank's Camera in Highland Park, California. They were a big discount dealer.

I was very impressed with that camera. I shot mostly black and white with it, but I also shot some color slides and negative film with it as well. Then in about 1989, I bought a Rolleiflex 3.5 mx/evs model with the Schneider Xenar lens (a Tessar type) and I didn't see much point in owning the Yashica Mat anymore so I sold it. Well, as misfortune would have it, I ended up selling the Rolleiflex during times of too much gear and not enough money. Got quite a bit more for it than I expected, so at least it had been a good investment. Then about five years ago, I started getting the itch for medium format again and decided, once again, the most economical way to enter the format would probably be a Yashica TLR. So I did my research and then I just waited. I'd decided that I wanted another 124, but not the "G" model. And finally I found one on eBay. It was an auction and I won it for right at $100. The camera ended up being very clean, so I was happy. And I'll tell you what, I like the 124 a lot better than the 124G. They're basically the same camera, but the 124 doesn't have the sort of cheap plastic feel to it that the 124G has. It's made from solid metal. I wasn't disappointed with the quality of the images it produced, either. They were excellent.

Yashica 124. I don't recall the film I used for this shot. It was negative film, which is all I remember about it.

Hawker Sea Fury. Taken probably in 1984 or 1985. Yashica Mat 124G, Tri-X.

Side view of a Hawker Sea Fury. Same date as above. Yashica Mat 124G, Tri-X

AT-6 Texan Trainer. Close-up of the spinner. Try as I might, I couldn't figure out how to stay out of the shot. Yashica Mat 124G, Tri-X. Approximately same dates as above.

The Queen Mary, after being converted into a Hilton Hotel. 1985. It was a hazy day that day, but I think the photo still worked. Yashica Mat 124G, Fujichrome 100

A self portrait, circa 1990. Our cat Smokey joined me for this shot. Rolleiflex 2.8C with Schneider Xenotar lens. I loved this camera, but it was inventory. There was just a certain quality about the lens that I really liked a lot. Tri-X.

P-51D Mustang, "Mangia Pane" (eats bread), Yashica Mat 124G, Tri-X

Profile of Mangia Pane, Yashica Mat 124G, Tri-X

Fishing boats at Moro Bay, California. Circa 1984, Yashica Mat 124G, Tri-X

Well, I thought I had more shots taken from my 124 up at my website than I did. Same goes for my old Rolleiflex mx/evs I guess they're all located on my desktop hard drive that crashed a few months ago. Fortunately the images are not lost -- they just need to be rescanned. One BIG reason why I still prefer film over digital. It's so much easier and safer to archive than digital is.
06-06-2015, 03:32 AM - 3 Likes   #11370

Pentax 6x7
Fuji 160NS