Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2015, 04:22 AM - 2 Likes   #11716
Veteran Member
hks_kansei's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 795
so today I picked up my films.
These are the first ones i've ever had scanned.
I'm pretty happy with them, sure the results aren't perfect, but i've also seen a lot worse.

I do need to get onto my software and stuff with the levels though, but I need to do that with digital as well anyway.

anyway, enough talking crap, pics.
These are straight off the CD from the shop, I havent done so much as even crop them.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/hks_kansei/albums/72157654946270664

















Details are in the descriptions on Flickr.
I cannot remember the settings for the life of me, since these have been sitting in the fridge for more than 12months now waiting for me to get off my bum and go to the lab.

08-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #11717
Site Supporter
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,968
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
so today I picked up my films.
These are the first ones i've ever had scanned.
I'm pretty happy with them, sure the results aren't perfect, but i've also seen a lot worse.
Some good looking shots as far as I'm concerned. Was looking a little ways back on your Flickr stream - is that an old Voigtlander folding camera you've got??

---------- Post added 08-15-15 at 01:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
A few more:







Canon AE-1.
FD 70-210 f4.
CineStill 800T.
(A grainy film at the best of times; these were exposed somewhere around EI1000-1250.)

Sadly most of the shots I took on this roll didn't turn out. A decent amount were ruined by camera shake, and most of the rest were spoiled by a gentleman in front of me with a baseball cap tipped upwards who had the unerring ability to turn his head so the brim shot into frame just as I clicked the shutter.
I love that film quite a bit. I'd shoot it far more if it were bit less spendy. It does have grain but one of the most lovely grain structures IMO.
08-15-2015, 03:56 PM   #11718
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 114

Canon Eos 300
Kodak Ultramax 400
7min exposure
08-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #11719
Pentaxian
builttospill's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Utah, Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,651
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
I do need to get onto my software and stuff with the levels though, but I need to do that with digital as well anyway.
Don't edit too much or you'll lose the look of film we all love. Great photos.

08-15-2015, 05:37 PM   #11720
Pentaxian
g026r's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,329
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I love that film quite a bit. I'd shoot it far more if it were bit less spendy. It does have grain but one of the most lovely grain structures IMO.
I don't know if my local lab just has trouble with it or what, but I get occasional splotches on the frames—as if a drop of ink had fallen on the frame—when they process it.

It's nice to know there's a tungsten balanced film out there, but I doubt I'll be using it that often given how rarely I need it.
08-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #11721
Pentaxian
builttospill's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Utah, Idaho
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,651
Pentax *ist, FA 28-70/4, Fuji 160S


08-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #11722
Veteran Member
hks_kansei's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 795
QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
Don't edit too much or you'll lose the look of film we all love. Great photos.
Don't worry, I wont.

All i'll probably do is some cropping, and adjust the black levels a little, some of the shots (not uploaded) are really washed out, almost like a really foggy lens,

---------- Post added 16-08-15 at 12:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Some good looking shots as far as I'm concerned. Was looking a little ways back on your Flickr stream - is that an old Voigtlander folding camera you've got??[COLOR="Silver"].

Close, it's an Agfa Billy Record.

Same country, roughly the same age, but the cheaper version.

I've only put one roll through that one so far, and havent had it developed yet.
I dont really want to throw too many into it until I get the first back and know that the camera works.
08-15-2015, 07:40 PM   #11723
Pentaxian
g026r's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,329
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
All i'll probably do is some cropping, and adjust the black levels a little, some of the shots (not uploaded) are really washed out, almost like a really foggy lens,
The lab likely scans with it set to auto, which I find can result in blacks being a bit too far to the right on the histogram for darker pics.

08-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #11724
Veteran Member
hks_kansei's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 795
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
The lab likely scans with it set to auto, which I find can result in blacks being a bit too far to the right on the histogram for darker pics.
That's what I thought they must have done.

SInce the difficult shots exposure wise seemed to have come out worst (dark motorcycle parked on a bright sunny say)
08-15-2015, 07:51 PM   #11725
Pentaxian
45 Mike's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,343
QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote

Close, it's an Agfa Billy Record.
Looks like you have the scale focus nailed pretty well!
The old folders are a kick ain't they?
08-15-2015, 08:25 PM   #11726
Veteran Member
hks_kansei's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 795
QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
Looks like you have the scale focus nailed pretty well!
The old folders are a kick ain't they?
They're good fun.

But I can't accept the compliment re: focus.
none of what I posted is from that camera, i've not had the film from that one developed yet.

I hope that I can live up to the compliment though when I get them done :P
08-15-2015, 10:33 PM   #11727
Pentaxian
cooltouch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 548
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Ebay is a mortal trap: you see so much good gear that you spend almost everyday checking it and you always buy something, cameras, lenses, hoods, little cute accessories...
I joined eBay on Christmas Day, 1997, and it was all because of a classic old Parker fountain pen my wife gave me as a Christmas present. Well, I immediately got online, searching for more information on the pen, and during the search, I discovered eBay. I didn't come up for air for about a week, and I'd spent almost all my time on eBay looking at and bidding on fountain pens! (I collect them, obviously) Well, it didn't take me very long after that to figure out that I could sell just as easy as I could buy, and that's what started it all for me. Honestly, I've made more money off eBay than I've spent there. And that's even after getting re-hooked with the dreaded GAS syndrome (and for me, GAS also stands for Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, yep).
08-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #11728
Veteran Member
Cuthbert's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,573
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I joined eBay on Christmas Day, 1997, and it was all because of a classic old Parker fountain pen my wife gave me as a Christmas present. Well, I immediately got online, searching for more information on the pen, and during the search, I discovered eBay. I didn't come up for air for about a week, and I'd spent almost all my time on eBay looking at and bidding on fountain pens! (I collect them, obviously) Well, it didn't take me very long after that to figure out that I could sell just as easy as I could buy, and that's what started it all for me. Honestly, I've made more money off eBay than I've spent there. And that's even after getting re-hooked with the dreaded GAS syndrome (and for me, GAS also stands for Guitar Acquisition Syndrome, yep).
Ehi I wondered where you had been, I thought you took the BMW and travelled to take some pics.

Parker...a 51 perhaps? I also collect fountains pens, mostly Italians ever if they are expensive (my favourite is the Aurora 88p).

On my side I decided to take a break from it because I'm leaving for the holidays and I counted how many cameras I bought in the last 4 months.

However, few shots taken yesterday with my Jenaflex and the Praktica gear:

Vario prakticar 80-200:





I like this one with the couple in the foreground:



Street guitarist observing the competitors:



These are taken with the Flek 20mm:







Bokeh study with the Pancolar 50mm f1.4:







For being "just" a f1.4 its DOF is very shallow, just look at Lady Macbeth.

For all the shots I used my Jenaflex (Praktica BC-1) and Kodak Ultramax...the last time I use this film I promise.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 08-16-2015 at 03:39 PM.
08-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #11729
Pentaxian
cooltouch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 548
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Ehi I wondered where you had been, I thought you took the BMW and travelled to take some pics.
Nope, not hardly. Especially not in the middle of summer. Besides, before I take the old Beemer on an extended road trip, I really need to do a top-end overhaul on her, and I've been a little short on funds for the parts I need for the job. I still have time, though. I was thinking in terms of an autumn or spring trip anyway. Preferably autumn because of all the colors the trees will be turning. Many more nature photo opportunities in the Fall than other times of the year.

QuoteQuote:
Parker...a 51 perhaps? I also collect fountains pens, mostly Italians ever if they are expensive (my favourite is the Aurora 88p).
Close, it's a nice Vacumatic with the same sort of plunger you find on a 51. Black with blue diamond clip, and top and bottom tassies. I'm not familiar with Aurora pens. I collect mostly vintage stuff, the exceptions mostly being a Mont Blanc Meisterstück and a Pelikan 800. I like the Pelikan better than the Mont Blanc. I usually keep my Pelikan inked up, but the Mont Blanc stays in its case in a desk drawer. My favorite pen is a 1938 Parker Canadian Vacumatic with broad stub nib I bought on eBay for about $40 way back in 1998. It makes for a great writer with the broad stub nib. Any wider and it would be a calligrapher's pen.

QuoteQuote:
On my side I decided to take a break from it because I'm leaving for the holidays and I counted how many cameras I bought in the last 4 months.
Counting cameras instead of the money you'll need for your holiday, eh? Regretting any purchases? I find that I almost never do.
08-18-2015, 09:39 AM - 4 Likes   #11730
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 114

Canon Eos 300
Kodak Colorplus 200
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
architecture, details, ektar, exposure, film, goats, grandma, hood, kodachrome, kodak, lab, legs, lens, lunch, lx, mx, pentax, phil, photos, post, q7, roll, sarajevo, scans, shot, shots, steve, thanks, tokina, velvia
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K20D test shots at Lets Go Digital schufosi777 Pentax News and Rumors 6 04-20-2013 11:31 AM
Macro Cool Macro shots derajjjg Post Your Photos! 2 12-27-2009 09:36 PM
Lets see your Moon and Mars shots Igilligan Post Your Photos! 9 12-05-2009 08:55 AM
Way cool bat shots and General Talk 7 10-01-2009 02:54 AM
Cool Shots & Info Fl_Gulfer Post Your Photos! 0 12-10-2007 11:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top