Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2015, 11:45 PM   #12541

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
This is something a little different for me...
My youngest sister is due with her first child in a few weeks, so she asked (I kinda offered) me to do some maternity portraits for her and her husband.
I went to her house on Monday and shot 2 rolls of film, one roll of Portra 400 in my 67, and one roll of XP2 in my Rolleiflex 2.8C.
I think I did pretty good considering...
Here's on from the 67 and 90/2.8
I also wanted to praise your work. You really have a keen eye for photography! This image of your pregnant sister is great!
What I also would like to mention is how well-looking the colours are on most of your shots. The colours are almost phenomenal of their beauty, no matter what kind of film you are using (espeially Ektar 100 which is supposed to be hard at scanning properly). It would be great if you share your thoughts on getting right colours from scans. My scans are much much inferior. Maybe, partly it's because of my poor DSLR-scanning technique. I have a 35mm slide-copier and I tried to light my slides/negatives with a Metz flash and then with a slide projector.
By the way, what do you think of a DSLR-scanning instead of your Epson-scanning?

12-10-2015, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #12542
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just got back a roll of Svema Color 125 that I was trying out and I am quite tickled by it. The palette really reminds of me of Ferrania Solaris 100 which I can't find anywhere anymore, sadly.
Quick scans of this roll are convincing me to buy a can of it. Shot in the LX (I think -- I loaded and burned through it quickly), mostly with the 31mm, just a couple tastes in case anyone is interested. Very nice for fall colors - a definitely warmth to it.

12-10-2015, 07:31 AM   #12543
Pentaxian

stylus 35/2.8, stl 1000, elicar 35/2.8, superia 400, lab scans

12-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #12544
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Very nice, Colton. This is the kind of photo they'll look back at man years in the future.
Thank you, Jonathan.

---------- Post added 12-10-2015 at 09:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by skyer Quote
I also wanted to praise your work. You really have a keen eye for photography! This image of your pregnant sister is great!
What I also would like to mention is how well-looking the colours are on most of your shots. The colours are almost phenomenal of their beauty, no matter what kind of film you are using (espeially Ektar 100 which is supposed to be hard at scanning properly). It would be great if you share your thoughts on getting right colours from scans. My scans are much much inferior. Maybe, partly it's because of my poor DSLR-scanning technique. I have a 35mm slide-copier and I tried to light my slides/negatives with a Metz flash and then with a slide projector.
By the way, what do you think of a DSLR-scanning instead of your Epson-scanning?
Thank you.
Last year I did this write up on my scanning method,
Scanning Color Film | Photography by Colton Allen

I've learned more about the process since, and I am planning on doing another write up in the future.
I have played with scanning as a positive and then inverting in Ps, but have never tried DSLR scanning. Because of the setup involved with DSLR scanning, it is pretty much a physical impossibility for me.
Interestingly, with the positive scan-invert after method, I have got really good results except with Ektar. I've had a hard time inverting Ektar, and usually get better results using Epson Scan.
IMO, Epson Scan is actually very good software, once you turn off all the Auto settings. I very much prefer Epson Scan to both Vuescan and Silverfast.
You should try doing all color setting and corrections using only Levels and Curves. You might be surprised at what you learn.

12-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #12545
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ambaker Quote
Kodak BW400CN. Union Pacific 844 Steam Locomotive. Still used for special runs and appearances.
It's such a pity they discontinued BW400CN. I've liked everything I've seen from it.
12-10-2015, 05:43 PM   #12546
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Epson Scan.
IMO, Epson Scan is actually very good software, once you turn off all the Auto settings. I very much prefer Epson Scan to both Vuescan and Silverfast.
I concur. I have tried several times to like both Vuescan and Silverfast, but with no luck.

Steve
12-10-2015, 05:48 PM   #12547
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
mountains, or post-industrial wasteland?
I think Colton missed your question. I may be wrong, but I believe the photo is of the exposed shore of a reservoir near his home. It is not unusual for operators to allow water levels drop during the summer or even intentionally drop them in the fall. You can see some of the lake in the background.

Steve

12-10-2015, 06:21 PM   #12548
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think Colton missed your question. I may be wrong, but I believe the photo is of the exposed shore of a reservoir near his home. It is not unusual for operators to allow water levels drop during the summer or even intentionally drop them in the fall. You can see some of the lake in the background.

Steve
I did miss that.
That is a reservoir that is used primarily for irrigation AFAIK. Every year around this time it gets quite low. In recent years it has gotten very very low because of drought.
12-10-2015, 06:51 PM - 1 Like   #12549
Pentaxian

I did miss that.
That is a reservoir that is used primarily for irrigation AFAIK. Every year around this time it gets quite low. In recent years it has gotten very very low because of drought.
Like the shot, the perspective is a little hard to make out (which actually is why I like the shot). As mrsD. will readily attest, post-industrial wasteland is one of my favourite photographic subjects, so maybe that's what I saw in your mysterious (to me) shot.
12-10-2015, 09:10 PM - 3 Likes   #12550
Veteran Member

Rolleiflex 3.5F
Schneider Kreuznach Xenotar 75/3.5
Kodak T400CN
Epson V500
12-11-2015, 01:10 AM - 3 Likes   #12551
Veteran Member

Abandoned II

Shot on a Linhof 4x5.
With a Schneider 135mm lens.
Just a negative scanned by a friend on an unknown scanner.

The Politician

Shot on a Burke and James 5x7 with a Rodenstock 300mm lens.
The negative was Drum scanned by the same friend.

Not named

Calumet 4x5 monorail camera.
Schneider 135mm lens.
Flash Bulb
Kodak Portra 160 film.
Scanned by same friend on unknown scanner.

Rogers Pass, British Columbia

Fuji Velvia 50
Burke and James 5x7
Rodenstock 210mm lens.
Film was my first attempt at developing my own slide film.
The slide was photographed on a light table using my Sigma SD14
Seeing a 5x7 inch colour slide in person for the first time is amazing.

Although not shot on film this is my Burke and James in Rogers Pass right after the shot.

Shot with my Sigma SD14.

Oh, that's a Majestic Gear Tripod head under the camera.
12-11-2015, 03:48 AM   #12552
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rolleiflex 3.5F
Schneider Kreuznach Xenotar 75/3.5
Kodak T400CN
Epson V500
Great shot!
12-11-2015, 05:15 AM   #12553
Pentaxian

gear/film: the usual suspects...

Last edited by dsmithhfx; 12-11-2015 at 05:41 AM.
12-11-2015, 05:57 AM   #12554
Veteran Member

I disappeared for a while because it's winter and here the light isn't good at all for this hobby, however this shot came out decently:

Canon T90 + FDn 50mm f1.2 + Agfa 100 Precisa + locomotive + sunset.
12-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #12555
Veteran Member

Thank you, Jonathan.

---------- Post added 12-10-2015 at 09:38 AM ----------

Thank you.
Last year I did this write up on my scanning method,
Scanning Color Film | Photography by Colton Allen

I've learned more about the process since, and I am planning on doing another write up in the future.
I have played with scanning as a positive and then inverting in Ps, but have never tried DSLR scanning. Because of the setup involved with DSLR scanning, it is pretty much a physical impossibility for me.
Interestingly, with the positive scan-invert after method, I have got really good results except with Ektar. I've had a hard time inverting Ektar, and usually get better results using Epson Scan.
You should try doing all color setting and corrections using only Levels and Curves. You might be surprised at what you learn.
Colton, I have to agree with pretty much everything you wrote. Except for DSLR scanning. These days I "dupe" everything 35mm with my DSLR. For medium format I still use my Epson 4990, scanning at 2400ppi.

I've found that I cannont invert Ektar, either. I get way too much cyan and I can't get rid of it. Even using Epson Scan, tans and light browns have a purple hue and I have to correct in post.

I too don't care for VueScan or especially Silverfast. Epson Scan does everything I need. I've turned off ICE and the auto dust reduction. ICE blurs images too much and the auto dust reduction feature adds artifacts that look like slivers of glass. So I just try to insure that my slides and negatives are as clean as possible, and I just resign myself having to clone out the dust spots in post. And yes, the levels and curves in Epson Scan can be quite effective. Often times in post all that I need to do is some very light sharpening and curves adjustment.