Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2016, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #12886

Photos: Gallery
dsmithhfx, I am in a love/hate relationship with your photos. Most of the time I have no idea what I am looking at (it helps that you don't add any information or stories at all to your pictures). It's not only the content of the pictures, but also that I am struggling to figure out what was going on in your head when you took these pictures. Then I think that's just what keeps them interesting, that they are totally out of my photographic comfort zone and different, they leave me wondering. I also noticed that there isn't that much feedback from the other posters, so I figured I should say something, which wasn't easy. Maybe I'll try to rephrase it: your photos trigger something, but I have really no idea what it is, they keep my head spinning. Please keep on ploughing through this thread with your work.

02-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #12887
Pentaxian

Arvid, thank you for your kind words! I like to try a lot of different things, I guess it shows. I've found this is a great community of fine and knowledgeable photographers to learn from, and it's really shaped my thinking about photography in a relatively short time. Thanks again.
03-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #12888
Pentaxian

03-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #12889
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
A stone circle on Bodmin Moor, Cornwall. Yashicamat 124G, Fuji Velvia 100 film.

stone circle (2) par Kris Lockyear, on ipernity

K.
Very nice. I am inspired to put my 645N aside and pick up my Yashicamat!

03-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #12890
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Very nice. I am inspired to put my 645N aside and pick up my Yashicamat!
Thank you. Sadly, my Yashica doesn't get that much use as I find it a bit big to carry around with other gear. I mainly use my old folders which are much more compact even if the focusing and exposure is a little more hit and miss!

Cheers, Kris.
03-01-2016, 02:01 PM   #12891
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sadly, my Yashica doesn't get that much use as I find it a bit big to carry around with other gear.
That is the sad thing about 120 TLRs and probably the main reason why I don't own one.

Steve
03-01-2016, 02:34 PM   #12892
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is the sad thing about 120 TLRs and probably the main reason why I don't own one.
I own an original model Mamiyaflex C (interchangeable lens TLR) , it has a homemade crank film wind, cracked focus screen, and enough ballast in its base to serve as a boat anchor. If I ever get back into developing film (as seems increasingly likely), I might give it another whirl. Squeegeeing off 120 film without scratching the hell out of it ain't easy...
03-01-2016, 06:36 PM - 2 Likes   #12893
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arvid Quote
dsmithhfx, I am in a love/hate relationship with your photos. Most of the time I have no idea what I am looking at (it helps that you don't add any information or stories at all to your pictures). It's not only the content of the pictures, but also that I am struggling to figure out what was going on in your head when you took these pictures. Then I think that's just what keeps them interesting, that they are totally out of my photographic comfort zone and different, they leave me wondering. I also noticed that there isn't that much feedback from the other posters, so I figured I should say something, which wasn't easy. Maybe I'll try to rephrase it: your photos trigger something, but I have really no idea what it is, they keep my head spinning. Please keep on ploughing through this thread with your work.
I agree. I have felt similar but wasn't sure how or what to say, and I think you nailed it.

@dsmithfx, If I were to add something, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I often find your photos lack a point of focus. I believe that a good photo can be made from anything, but if not careful it can be easy for that photo to become about nothing.
That being said, the best judge of your work will always be yourself, and so you should take photos that please you. I never feel right giving feedback on another's work unless requested, so I hope you don't mind.

---------- Post added 03-01-2016 at 05:42 PM ----------

Steve
Compared to most other medium format cameras, the typical 6x6 TLR is usually considered compact and fairly light. Next to my 67 with 90/2.8 my Rolleiflex is tiny

03-01-2016, 08:34 PM   #12894
Pentaxian

I like using my Yashica TLR when I need big negatives and more precise focusing than I get with my 6x9 folders, or 645 folders.
If someone made a 6x9 TLR with lenses, meter and hispeed shutter, yum. :-)
03-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #12895
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
I like using my Yashica TLR when I need big negatives and more precise focusing than I get with my 6x9 folders, or 645 folders.
If someone made a 6x9 TLR with lenses, meter and hispeed shutter, yum. :-)
GowlandFlex TLR?

Gowlandflex

Steve
03-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #12896
Pentaxian

GowlandFlex TLR?

Gowlandflex

Steve
Wow, umm, yeah, a beast. LOL
TBH I was thinking more of a unit design, but I can see some advantages to what Gowland did. In fact I have one of his books on glamour that shows that camera as well.

Thanks Steve!
03-02-2016, 01:25 AM   #12897
Pentaxian

A Pastoral Kodachrome from 1981 South Africa. MX/M50/1.7
03-02-2016, 01:42 AM   #12898
Pentaxian

Thank you. Sadly, my Yashica doesn't get that much use as I find it a bit big to carry around with other gear. I mainly use my old folders which are much more compact even if the focusing and exposure is a little more hit and miss!

Cheers, Kris.

Steve
I also have a Yashica Mat 124G and I like it a lot. I covet something with a faster lens but f/3.5 isn't bad at all for MF. I think it's probably about the same size and lighter than my 645 with 75mm lens. Certainly the shape makes it easier to get in a bag or suitcase as it's just a box, with no bits sticking out. If I choose something else over it I think it would be more frequently due to the lack of flexibility in the fixed lens rather than the size.

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I agree. I have felt similar but wasn't sure how or what to say, and I think you nailed it.

@dsmithfx, If I were to add something, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I often find your photos lack a point of focus. I believe that a good photo can be made from anything, but if not careful it can be easy for that photo to become about nothing.
That being said, the best judge of your work will always be yourself, and so you should take photos that please you. I never feel right giving feedback on another's work unless requested, so I hope you don't mind.

---------- Post added 03-01-2016 at 05:42 PM ----------

Compared to most other medium format cameras, the typical 6x6 TLR is usually considered compact and fairly light. Next to my 67 with 90/2.8 my Rolleiflex is tiny
@dsmithfx - to quote something the execs at my work like to say (and I agree with), "treasure wild ducks". I like that your photos are different.
03-02-2016, 01:56 AM - 3 Likes   #12899
Pentaxian

Like a lot of people here, despite moving to digital, I've still got a back catalogue of film going back decades - this one was from the early 1990s - a pelican in London zoo, with an SFXn, 300mm lens and Ektachrome slide film

03-02-2016, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #12900
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
@dsmithfx, If I were to add something, and I hope you don't take this the wrong way, I often find your photos lack a point of focus. I believe that a good photo can be made from anything, but if not careful it can be easy for that photo to become about nothing. That being said, the best judge of your work will always be yourself, and so you should take photos that please you. I never feel right giving feedback on another's work unless requested, so I hope you don't mind.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
@dsmithfx - to quote something the execs at my work like to say (and I agree with), "treasure wild ducks". I like that your photos are different.
Thanks. I'm really enjoying the visual dialog that happens in this thread, I constantly find something new here that expands the concept of photography in some way, and that is very enriching.

My photographs may seem 'different' but really they are based on looking at a lot of photographs, paintings, cinematography etc. over many years -- anyone coming from a similar background would probably not find my efforts so very different. So when I decide to take a picture, it is (probably) because it reminds me of a visual pattern, I don't think about it too much at the time. After I have it scanned (weeks, months, even years later), then I can spend a lot of time trying to rediscover and bring out that thing I originally saw.

I like finding visual complexity (to the point of chaos) in seemingly banal subjects, and 'focal points' (plural) that fall outside of where they may be expected. I want to take pictures that haven't already been made (or at least, I haven't already seen). Occasionally I manage to get an 'interesting failure'.

Anyway, I certainly appreciate your comments, advice and most of all, your photographs.

----------------