Fujifilm Klasse
Fujinon 38/2.6
Kodak Portra 400
Epson V750-M Pro
03-02-2016, 11:49 AM   #12903
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful shot Colton. Great composition there, triple stack. I like the color, too.
03-02-2016, 01:36 PM   #12904
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Wonderful shot Colton. Great composition there, triple stack. I like the color, too.
Thank you, David.
The camper on the old truck is one of the oddest things I've seen. It looks to be factory made, but it is so large that it has its own axle that sits under it behind the truck.

03-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #12905
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Thank you, David.
The camper on the old truck is one of the oddest things I've seen. It looks to be factory made, but it is so large that it has its own axle that sits under it behind the truck.
My Dad would have loved that camper, we even had the truck that is under it!! All we had was a camper shell, sorta half way between a topper and a regular truck camper, we still managed to cram a family of 4 in the thing from Michigan to the Black Hills and back.
03-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #12906
Veteran Member

Why, heck, that 'uns a downright roomy camper, that one is. Even has air conditioning! And a crew cab -- lots of room. Shoot, back in 1993 we crammed five of us in a Ford Ranger XLT (the one with the sorta half extension behind the seats) with just a plain old camper shell, and we drove from Los Angeles to Houston and back. Tempers were getting a mite frayed by the time we hit Tucson on the return trip -- with miles and miles yet to go.
03-03-2016, 01:24 AM - 3 Likes   #12907
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax-1, 28-105, Fujichrome Provia 100- South Africa1998

03-03-2016, 02:59 AM   #12908
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Pentax-1, 28-105, Fujichrome Provia 100- South Africa1998

This is one of the best in this series (if I may call it that) you posted here so far. What's the back story? Which part of SA is this?

Edit: ok, just by posting that I see it is Kwazakhele township in Port Elizabeth. Anyway, would love to hear more about how you came to be taking these pictures.
03-03-2016, 03:42 AM   #12909
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
This is one of the best in this series (if I may call it that) you posted here so far. What's the back story? Which part of SA is this?

Edit: ok, just by posting that I see it is Kwazakhele township in Port Elizabeth. Anyway, would love to hear more about how you came to be taking these pictures.
Thanks for your kind words. My wife is South African, and we were living there for a few years. A community nurse we knew was doing a project on preventative medicine in the townships - the things that could be easily an cheaply improved to uplift the most people's lives. My wife and I were glad to do a walk around with her and a local community worker taking pictures (she knew I was a photographer) for the cost of the film and processing, paid for be her research project. Most of the transparencies had to be given over, of course, and I didn't have a very good film scanner in those days to keep copies, but there were a few duplicates, or pictures where I felt that the pictorial value was stronger than the value to the project where I kept the slides - and I'm so glad I did - they make a fascinating archive. We did another project later in Zwide, an equally fascinating project, but the pictures were of models for a TB prevention picture story so of less general interest. Amazing experiences, and a massive insight into the lives of the people living in those places - so different from the news footage which you only see when things go,wrong. If you click on the picture and go to the Flickr site you'll see most of what have. The other series we did was about the people - especially the children - living on and scavenging the municipal dump outside Graaff-Reinet - again - amazing people!

PS there's a few more general shots here Panoramio - Photos by Graham Hobbs > Kwa Zakhele

Last edited by ffking; 03-03-2016 at 04:07 AM. Reason: add PS
03-03-2016, 06:23 AM   #12910
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Thanks for your kind words. My wife is South African, and we were living there for a few years. A community nurse we knew was doing a project on preventative medicine in the townships - the things that could be easily an cheaply improved to uplift the most people's lives. My wife and I were glad to do a walk around with her and a local community worker taking pictures (she knew I was a photographer) for the cost of the film and processing, paid for be her research project. Most of the transparencies had to be given over, of course, and I didn't have a very good film scanner in those days to keep copies, but there were a few duplicates, or pictures where I felt that the pictorial value was stronger than the value to the project where I kept the slides - and I'm so glad I did - they make a fascinating archive. We did another project later in Zwide, an equally fascinating project, but the pictures were of models for a TB prevention picture story so of less general interest. Amazing experiences, and a massive insight into the lives of the people living in those places - so different from the news footage which you only see when things go,wrong. If you click on the picture and go to the Flickr site you'll see most of what have. The other series we did was about the people - especially the children - living on and scavenging the municipal dump outside Graaff-Reinet - again - amazing people!

PS there's a few more general shots here Panoramio - Photos by Graham Hobbs > Kwa Zakhele
Thanks so much. Great story. It's pretty obvious the subjects in these photos are aware of having their picture taken, and they seem to be perfectly at ease. It struck me as possibly being some kind of journalistic project because tourists would not have that kind of access, or the inclination to go into those areas (I could be wrong about that). You also have many great wildlife pics on your flickr feed. I envy your experiences.
03-03-2016, 06:29 AM   #12911
Pentaxian

03-03-2016, 07:15 AM   #12912
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
You also have many great wildlife pics on your flickr feed. I envy your experiences.
Thanks again - South Africa is such a photogenic country - people, wildlife, scenery - but it was one of those unpredictable things in life to marry a South African and take a part of my life there - obviously everything has its costs too, but I'm very glad to have spent those years there and had the experiences I did. We went back ti SA last year for the first time in 13 years (for me) - and I still loved the experience of driving the roads and stopping wherever the fancy took me to take pictures - a real dream of freedom for a resident of this cold and crowded little island
03-03-2016, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #12913
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Thank you, David.
Thanks for adding the note about the hitchhiker axle. I agree, that is one very strange camper and I found your photo mildly disturbing as a result

Steve
03-03-2016, 09:39 PM - 4 Likes   #12914
Veteran Member

Miss Etta with her Minolta Autocord

Contax G2
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 35/2
Kodak Portra 400
Epson V750-M Pro
03-04-2016, 04:12 AM   #12915
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Wonderful shot, and she is really growing up!