Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #13111
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,233
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Fresh snow in Olympics.... My dad took these with the KX I gave to him last year. I don't think he was completely happy with the results of the roll, but I figure that's par for the course when you've not shot film on a manual camera for over 30 years and using a new-to-you emulsion. I hope he shoots some more because I thought these were fantastic and created this diptych with them.


Pentax KX | M 50/1.7 | Superia 400 | Pakon F135 scanned

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Tell your Dad "Nice Work!"
What he said!

Out of curiosity, where in the Olympics were these taken?


Steve

04-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #13112
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,233
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
So, a film story for today. I went for a walk this afternoon with my GM1, and my Canon Prima (Superia 200) down by the Credit River, which is close to me. I had half a roll in there for several months.

The snow we had last week (!) has melted, and the river is coming down. At this time of the year, there is a real pause, where the green hasn't come in, and the dominant colour is yellow/brown.
I had taken a couple of shots, then put my film camera into a drop loader bag that has a holster-style top. I was walking down near the river, then had to sidle past some trees near the water. As I did, I felt a tug, and turned to see my film camera floating (fortunately, plastic...) in the river - the lanyard had grabbed the branches, flipped the camera out of my pocket, and into the water.

Needless to say, not too happy, as this particular cam has seen a lot of action and travel (over the last 22 years). I was able to finish the roll and held it lengthwise to minimise further water entry. So, I've just disassembled and cleaned it, and I may have gotten lucky - everything seems to work, and have put it into silica gel.

So, moral of the story is to hang the lanyard around one's neck, or close the holster!


Worst nightmare! I often leave the top of my gear bag unfastened and have had a few close calls, though nothing as bad as what you describe.


Steve

(...worst gear mishap was a tripod accident that pitched my view camera into a bridge railing...almost went into the ravine...damage was limited to a few divots in the teak front standard...)
04-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #13113
Site Supporter
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,875
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said!

Out of curiosity, where in the Olympics were these taken?
Just asked him yesterday - the first one of the mountain is near Chinook pass actually. The second is in the Olympic park out past Lake Quinault I believe.
04-10-2016, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #13114
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,129
Zodiac ride. (Super Program, K55/1.8 shooting Fuji Provia 100F)



Phil.

04-10-2016, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #13115
Site Supporter
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,875
QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
My kid at a baseball game. Pentax LX, M 200/4, some cheap color film


Pentax LX, K50/1.2, last frame
That second one, last frame LX, is great.

---------- Post added 04-10-16 at 10:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Zodiac ride. (Super Program, K55/1.8 shooting Fuji Provia 100F)
Looks like quite the *chilly* zodiac ride to be sure!

---------- Post added 04-10-16 at 10:58 AM ----------

Looking forward to summer......



Pentax LX | Pentax-A 50/1.4 | Fuji Reala100 | V750 scan
04-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #13116
Pentaxian
cooltouch's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 499
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
So, a film story for today. I went for a walk this afternoon with my GM1, and my Canon Prima (Superia 200) down by the Credit River, which is close to me. I had half a roll in there for several months.

The snow we had last week (!) has melted, and the river is coming down. At this time of the year, there is a real pause, where the green hasn't come in, and the dominant colour is yellow/brown.
I had taken a couple of shots, then put my film camera into a drop loader bag that has a holster-style top. I was walking down near the river, then had to sidle past some trees near the water. As I did, I felt a tug, and turned to see my film camera floating (fortunately, plastic...) in the river - the lanyard had grabbed the branches, flipped the camera out of my pocket, and into the water.

Needless to say, not too happy, as this particular cam has seen a lot of action and travel (over the last 22 years). I was able to finish the roll and held it lengthwise to minimise further water entry. So, I've just disassembled and cleaned it, and I may have gotten lucky - everything seems to work, and have put it into silica gel.

So, moral of the story is to hang the lanyard around one's neck, or close the holster!
Back in a previous life when I made a living as a camera dealer, I bought for dirt cheap a Nikon FG that had gotten dunked. I mean, it was totally submerged. Fortunately, it had gotten dunked in a clear mountain stream, so it was clean fresh water. Also fortunately, the PO had not turned it on, and removed the batteries. So I put the camera in my oven and turned it onto "Warm," and left it there for a few hours. I also removed the top and bottom covers to see if there was any evidence of corrosion. Fortunately, there wasn't. So I loaded it up with fresh batteries, held my breath, and switched it on. And it worked perfectly. I actually shot with it for a week before putting it up for sale. It behaved flawlessly.

So all I'm saying is, you probably dodged a bullet. Now, if it had been seawater instead, forget about it, it would have been toast.
04-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #13117
Site Supporter
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,875
QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Now, if it had been seawater instead, forget about it, it would have been toast.
That's a fact.
04-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #13118
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,146
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
That's a fact.
Nope. There's a procedure that I followed when my mechanical slr got dunked in seawater. The lens and TTL meter were ruined, but I was able to continue using the body for ~20 years after.

04-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #13119
Site Supporter
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,875
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Nope. There's a procedure that I followed when my mechanical slr got dunked in seawater. The lens and TTL meter were ruined, but I was able to continue using the body for ~20 years after.
I think we have different definitions of "ruined".
04-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #13120
Pentaxian
Clarkey's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton, ON, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,623
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote


Worst nightmare! I often leave the top of my gear bag unfastened and have had a few close calls, though nothing as bad as what you describe.


Steve

(...worst gear mishap was a tripod accident that pitched my view camera into a bridge railing...almost went into the ravine...damage was limited to a few divots in the teak front standard...)
Ouch! Thanks for the comment. Yes, my other worst was trying to crawl up a rock near a waterfall, and wrecking a filter (fortunately, not the 70mm behind), when I slipped.

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Back in a previous life when I made a living as a camera dealer, I bought for dirt cheap a Nikon FG that had gotten dunked. I mean, it was totally submerged. Fortunately, it had gotten dunked in a clear mountain stream, so it was clean fresh water. Also fortunately, the PO had not turned it on, and removed the batteries. So I put the camera in my oven and turned it onto "Warm," and left it there for a few hours. I also removed the top and bottom covers to see if there was any evidence of corrosion. Fortunately, there wasn't. So I loaded it up with fresh batteries, held my breath, and switched it on. And it worked perfectly. I actually shot with it for a week before putting it up for sale. It behaved flawlessly.

So all I'm saying is, you probably dodged a bullet. Now, if it had been seawater instead, forget about it, it would have been toast.
There was quite a bit of sediment (river in spring flood), but I think I got it out - fortunately the light seals got most of it. The tricky part was cleaning all of the motor drive gears (holy moley, a lot)

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I think we have different definitions of "ruined".
I helped my dad use a fresh water technique when his Nikonos 2 got flooded through the flash port - No meter to worry about!
04-10-2016, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #13121
Pentaxian
Swift1's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,816
This is from last November. I just finished the roll last week.




Zenza Bronica S2
Super-Komura 45/4.5
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V500
04-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #13122
Site Supporter
arnold's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,197
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Zodiac ride. (Super Program, K55/1.8 shooting Fuji Provia 100F)
A fine shot for posterity.
04-10-2016, 11:52 PM   #13123
Site Supporter
chickentender's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,875
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
This is from last November. I just finished the roll last week.




Zenza Bronica S2
Super-Komura 45/4.5
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V500
I like that one a LOT a lot, Colton. Nice work.
04-11-2016, 05:15 AM   #13124
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,146
04-11-2016, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #13125
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,146
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I think we have different definitions of "ruined".
Fair enough. Here are a couple of shots from the "ruined" SL35, taken about ~10-years after its salt-water dunking:



Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
architecture, details, ektar, exposure, film, goats, grandma, hood, kodachrome, kodak, lab, legs, lens, lunch, lx, mx, pentax, phil, photos, post, q7, roll, sarajevo, scans, shot, shots, steve, thanks, tokina, velvia
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K20D test shots at Lets Go Digital schufosi777 Pentax News and Rumors 6 04-20-2013 11:31 AM
Macro Cool Macro shots derajjjg Post Your Photos! 2 12-27-2009 09:36 PM
Lets see your Moon and Mars shots Igilligan Post Your Photos! 9 12-05-2009 08:55 AM
Way cool bat shots and General Talk 7 10-01-2009 02:54 AM
Cool Shots & Info Fl_Gulfer Post Your Photos! 0 12-10-2007 11:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top