Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43116 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #13111
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Fresh snow in Olympics.... My dad took these with the KX I gave to him last year. I don't think he was completely happy with the results of the roll, but I figure that's par for the course when you've not shot film on a manual camera for over 30 years and using a new-to-you emulsion. I hope he shoots some more because I thought these were fantastic and created this diptych with them.

Pentax KX | M 50/1.7 | Superia 400 | Pakon F135 scanned

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Tell your Dad "Nice Work!"
What he said!

Out of curiosity, where in the Olympics were these taken?

Steve

04-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #13112
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
So, a film story for today. I went for a walk this afternoon with my GM1, and my Canon Prima (Superia 200) down by the Credit River, which is close to me. I had half a roll in there for several months.

The snow we had last week (!) has melted, and the river is coming down. At this time of the year, there is a real pause, where the green hasn't come in, and the dominant colour is yellow/brown.
I had taken a couple of shots, then put my film camera into a drop loader bag that has a holster-style top. I was walking down near the river, then had to sidle past some trees near the water. As I did, I felt a tug, and turned to see my film camera floating (fortunately, plastic...) in the river - the lanyard had grabbed the branches, flipped the camera out of my pocket, and into the water.

Needless to say, not too happy, as this particular cam has seen a lot of action and travel (over the last 22 years). I was able to finish the roll and held it lengthwise to minimise further water entry. So, I've just disassembled and cleaned it, and I may have gotten lucky - everything seems to work, and have put it into silica gel.

So, moral of the story is to hang the lanyard around one's neck, or close the holster!

Worst nightmare! I often leave the top of my gear bag unfastened and have had a few close calls, though nothing as bad as what you describe.

Steve

(...worst gear mishap was a tripod accident that pitched my view camera into a bridge railing...almost went into the ravine...damage was limited to a few divots in the teak front standard...)
04-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #13113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said!

Out of curiosity, where in the Olympics were these taken?
Just asked him yesterday - the first one of the mountain is near Chinook pass actually. The second is in the Olympic park out past Lake Quinault I believe.
04-10-2016, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #13114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zodiac ride. (Super Program, K55/1.8 shooting Fuji Provia 100F)

Phil.

04-10-2016, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #13115
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by akptc Quote
My kid at a baseball game. Pentax LX, M 200/4, some cheap color film

Pentax LX, K50/1.2, last frame
That second one, last frame LX, is great.

---------- Post added 04-10-16 at 10:56 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Looks like quite the *chilly* zodiac ride to be sure!

---------- Post added 04-10-16 at 10:58 AM ----------

Looking forward to summer......

Pentax LX | Pentax-A 50/1.4 | Fuji Reala100 | V750 scan
04-10-2016, 11:29 AM   #13116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
So, a film story for today. I went for a walk this afternoon with my GM1, and my Canon Prima (Superia 200) down by the Credit River, which is close to me. I had half a roll in there for several months.

The snow we had last week (!) has melted, and the river is coming down. At this time of the year, there is a real pause, where the green hasn't come in, and the dominant colour is yellow/brown.
I had taken a couple of shots, then put my film camera into a drop loader bag that has a holster-style top. I was walking down near the river, then had to sidle past some trees near the water. As I did, I felt a tug, and turned to see my film camera floating (fortunately, plastic...) in the river - the lanyard had grabbed the branches, flipped the camera out of my pocket, and into the water.

Needless to say, not too happy, as this particular cam has seen a lot of action and travel (over the last 22 years). I was able to finish the roll and held it lengthwise to minimise further water entry. So, I've just disassembled and cleaned it, and I may have gotten lucky - everything seems to work, and have put it into silica gel.

So, moral of the story is to hang the lanyard around one's neck, or close the holster!
Back in a previous life when I made a living as a camera dealer, I bought for dirt cheap a Nikon FG that had gotten dunked. I mean, it was totally submerged. Fortunately, it had gotten dunked in a clear mountain stream, so it was clean fresh water. Also fortunately, the PO had not turned it on, and removed the batteries. So I put the camera in my oven and turned it onto "Warm," and left it there for a few hours. I also removed the top and bottom covers to see if there was any evidence of corrosion. Fortunately, there wasn't. So I loaded it up with fresh batteries, held my breath, and switched it on. And it worked perfectly. I actually shot with it for a week before putting it up for sale. It behaved flawlessly.

So all I'm saying is, you probably dodged a bullet. Now, if it had been seawater instead, forget about it, it would have been toast.
04-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #13117
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Now, if it had been seawater instead, forget about it, it would have been toast.
That's a fact.

04-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #13118
Pentaxian

That's a fact.
Nope. There's a procedure that I followed when my mechanical slr got dunked in seawater. The lens and TTL meter were ruined, but I was able to continue using the body for ~20 years after.
04-10-2016, 06:16 PM   #13119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Nope. There's a procedure that I followed when my mechanical slr got dunked in seawater. The lens and TTL meter were ruined, but I was able to continue using the body for ~20 years after.
I think we have different definitions of "ruined".
04-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #13120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Worst nightmare! I often leave the top of my gear bag unfastened and have had a few close calls, though nothing as bad as what you describe.

Steve

(...worst gear mishap was a tripod accident that pitched my view camera into a bridge railing...almost went into the ravine...damage was limited to a few divots in the teak front standard...)
Ouch! Thanks for the comment. Yes, my other worst was trying to crawl up a rock near a waterfall, and wrecking a filter (fortunately, not the 70mm behind), when I slipped.

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Back in a previous life when I made a living as a camera dealer, I bought for dirt cheap a Nikon FG that had gotten dunked. I mean, it was totally submerged. Fortunately, it had gotten dunked in a clear mountain stream, so it was clean fresh water. Also fortunately, the PO had not turned it on, and removed the batteries. So I put the camera in my oven and turned it onto "Warm," and left it there for a few hours. I also removed the top and bottom covers to see if there was any evidence of corrosion. Fortunately, there wasn't. So I loaded it up with fresh batteries, held my breath, and switched it on. And it worked perfectly. I actually shot with it for a week before putting it up for sale. It behaved flawlessly.

So all I'm saying is, you probably dodged a bullet. Now, if it had been seawater instead, forget about it, it would have been toast.
There was quite a bit of sediment (river in spring flood), but I think I got it out - fortunately the light seals got most of it. The tricky part was cleaning all of the motor drive gears (holy moley, a lot)

I helped my dad use a fresh water technique when his Nikonos 2 got flooded through the flash port - No meter to worry about!
04-10-2016, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #13121
Veteran Member

This is from last November. I just finished the roll last week.

Zenza Bronica S2
Super-Komura 45/4.5
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V500
04-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #13122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
A fine shot for posterity.
04-10-2016, 11:52 PM   #13123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
This is from last November. I just finished the roll last week.

Zenza Bronica S2
Super-Komura 45/4.5
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V500
I like that one a LOT a lot, Colton. Nice work.
04-11-2016, 05:15 AM   #13124
Pentaxian

04-11-2016, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #13125
Pentaxian

Fair enough. Here are a couple of shots from the "ruined" SL35, taken about ~10-years after its salt-water dunking: