Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2016, 10:07 AM - 2 Likes   #13201
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently went on a 6 day road trip through Northern California and down to Yosemite. Was home for a day and then went to Bend, Oregon for 2 days. Got home yesterday and got my first roll from the trip developed.

Innova 6x9 Pinhole Camera
Expired Fuji Reala @ISO25

04-26-2016, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #13202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Robin CB Quote

I am interesting in your opinion of Paint Shop Pro for a beginner.

Being new to image adjustment, I have been looking at LightZone and Gimp (also being a cheapskate), but am struggling a bit to get simple fixes.

40 for PSP X7 (or 50 for X8) seems a reasonable price - is it a good option for a beginner?

I've been using PSP since version 4. Version X7 is actually version 17. I've always liked PSP for its simplicity, ease of use, and overall effectiveness. And needless to say, it's priced very competitively. I also use PhotoShop, but honestly there are things I often do that are so much easier to accomplish with PSP that I don't even bother using PS to do them. There are also commands that PSP has that PS doesn't. So, yes, I recommend it highly. Corel also runs a set of forums, which include a PSP sub-forum that's well-attended, where you can get answers to most any question you're likely to have:

Corel USER to USER Web Board ? View forum - Paint Shop Pro
It's been so long since I've been a beginner with PSP that it's hard to put myself in a beginner's shoes. But I can tell you this: its user interface is much easier to figure out that PhotoShop's. So I guess I'd have to say that it shouldn't be too difficult for the new user to pick up on it. One recommendation that I have, though -- when you load PSP it has three tabs at the top: Manage, Adjust, and Edit. It defaults to loading the "Manage" tab. I recommend that you totally ignore "Manage" and "Adjust" and go directly to "Edit." That's where you're gonna end up anyway, cuz that's where all the meaningful work is done -- so why not start there? The other two are meant, I believe, for PSP to look more like Adobe's Lightroom, which to me is a complete waste of disk space, time, and energy. They are completely unnecessary, IMO. I went into the Preferences menu and changed things so the program starts up in the "Edit" tab. This is traditionally the way PSP operated before Corel got bit by the Lightroom bug. I do all my work in the "Edit" tab and don't even think of the other two. Unless I'm trying to describe the program to somebody else.

Gimp is an excellent product as well, but I have very little experience with it so I can't really make recommendations about it one way or another.
04-26-2016, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #13203
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
Gimp is an excellent product as well, but I have very little experience with it so I can't really make recommendations about it one way or another.
I've been doing most all of my PP in GIMP on lab scans for about a year now (I've been using it for about 3 years), and it's pretty powerful and becoming better with each release. I don't think it is particularly easier or harder to learn than either PSP (which I've only looked at briefly) or Photoshop, which I've used for >25-years. They all hella hard.

GIMP is less capable than Photoshop in some ways, and I daresay all three packages (PSP, PS and GIMP) are less suited to photo editing compared to Lightroom and (possibly) other, similar products, because I think it would take longer, perhaps much longer to get up to speed on them for the kinds of tasks a photographer would typically want to accomplish, which can very quickly lead to frustration and discouragement.

Where Photoshop excels IMO is in its nonpareil selection tools, non-destructive adjustment layers, and very complex layering capabilities -- which (unfortunately) lead to improbably huge file sizes and storage requirements.

GIMP's selection tools (including a bezier 'pen'!) and layering with transfer modes and masks, are 'good enough' for quite a lot of what most photographers would typically essay, and a heck of a lot better than the old days of dodging and burning in a wet darkroom with pieces of cardboard taped to coat-hanger wire (which actually works surprisingly well, once you get the hang of it).

The good news is that what you learn is directly applicable to Photoshop, apart from some vexing differences in how menus are laid out. Other tools and features in GIMP are poorly implemented (the version I'm running is a couple of years old), but more or less usable. HTH.

Last edited by dsmithhfx; 04-26-2016 at 12:54 PM.
04-26-2016, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #13204

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I've been doing most all of my PP in GIMP on lab scans for about a year now (I've been using it for about 3 years), and it's pretty powerful and becoming better with each release. I don't think it is particularly easier or harder to learn than either PSP (which I've only looked at briefly) or Photoshop, which I've used for >25-years. They all hella hard.

GIMP is less capable than Photoshop in some ways, and I daresay all three packages (PSP, PS and GIMP) are less suited to photo editing compared to Lightroom and (possibly) other, similar products, because I think it would take longer, perhaps much longer to get up to speed on them for the kinds of tasks a photographer would typically want to accomplish, which can very quickly lead to frustration and discouragement.

Where Photoshop excels IMO is in its nonpareil selection tools, non-destructive adjustment layers, and very complex layering capabilities -- which (unfortunately) lead to improbably huge file sizes and storage requirements.

GIMP's selection tools (including a bezier 'pen'!) and layering with transfer modes and masks, are 'good enough' for quite a lot of what most photographers would typically essay, and a heck of a lot better than the old days of dodging and burning in a wet darkroom with pieces of cardboard taped to coat-hanger wire (which actually works surprisingly well, once you get the hang of it).

The good news is that what you learn is directly applicable to Photoshop, apart from some vexing differences in how menus are laid out. Other tools and features in GIMP are poorly implemented (the version I'm running is a couple of years old), but more or less usable. HTH.
I do use Gimp on occasion where layering is required. Its fiddly but, all the required masking tools. layer modes etc seem be there. I also use Faststone. Fantastic for quick previews and even RAW demosaicing if required. It has some quite useful shadow and highlight correction tools too. It lacks White Balance tools though. I tend to vet images in Faststone then take them in to Lightroom if I feel they are of value or, I cant get the toning I want from Faststone.

04-26-2016, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #13205
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I recently went on a 6 day road trip through Northern California and down to Yosemite. Was home for a day and then went to Bend, Oregon for 2 days. Got home yesterday and got my first roll from the trip developed.

Innova 6x9 Pinhole Camera
Expired Fuji Reala @ISO25
Congrats on the trip, and that is a great perspective of an iconic mountain view. I really like the pinhole composition and the color. I know there is more to come, too.
04-27-2016, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #13206
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Robin CB Quote
Thanks for that Xmas. If I get anything worthwhile I will try getting it properly printed. I will also have to look at a scanner that does negatives

---------- Post added 04-26-16 at 10:03 AM ----------

Interesting result - the original is quite intriguing as well.

I am interesting in your opinion of Paint Shop Pro for a beginner.

Being new to image adjustment, I have been looking at LightZone and Gimp (also being a cheapskate), but am struggling a bit to get simple fixes.

40 for PSP X7 (or 50 for X8) seems a reasonable price - is it a good option for a beginner?
I use the older X4 version and I find it generally very good. It does a few annoying things but on the whole it's very useful for post-processing my scanned negatives.
04-27-2016, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #13207
Pentaxian

I used X2 for years. Skipped X3 through X5 and upgraded to X6, then X7 because of a handful of new features that I found useful. I've been debating whether or not to upgrade to X8. It has a couple of new features I like, but I'm getting along just fine without it.
04-27-2016, 05:13 AM   #13208
Pentaxian

04-27-2016, 02:17 PM   #13209
Site Supporter

Is that a model railway? I ask because of the limited depth of focus.
04-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #13210
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Is that a model railway? I ask because of the limited depth of focus.
Glad you asked! The dof is due to asahi no 1 close-up lens on 50 1.4.
04-27-2016, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #13211
Site Supporter

I must have a hundred film cameras, and I like to check them out in turn. The latest four to have film through them are: 1959 Konica S; Yashica Lynx E; Nikkormat 50mm f2.0 and the first factory produced Yashica 35 (1959). Below are a couple of examples from each of them, shot on Kodak 400 Ultramax (2 years expired)
[IMG][/IMG]
Konica S
[IMG][/IMG]
Konica S

Yashica Lynx
[IMG][/IMG]
Yashica Lynx

Nikkormat
[IMG][/IMG]
Nikkormat
[IMG][/IMG]
Yashica 35 (1959)

Yashica 35 (1959)

Last edited by arnold; 04-27-2016 at 11:59 PM.
04-27-2016, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #13212
Site Supporter

Spring spring and more spring...

Pentax MZ-S | FA 31/1.8 | Fuji Velvia 100F | Pakon F135 TLX

I have been impressed for the most part in the trial runs of putting 35mm slide film through the Pakon. Definitely has a difficult time in high-contrast scenes but overall it does better than I thought it was going to. Nice to not have to drag out the flatbed unless I really need to.
04-28-2016, 12:26 AM   #13213
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I've been using PSP since version 4. Version X7 is actually version 17. I've always liked PSP for its simplicity, ease of use, and overall effectiveness. And needless to say, it's priced very competitively. I also use PhotoShop, but honestly there are things I often do that are so much easier to accomplish with PSP that I don't even bother using PS to do them. There are also commands that PSP has that PS doesn't. So, yes, I recommend it highly. Corel also runs a set of forums, which include a PSP sub-forum that's well-attended, where you can get answers to most any question you're likely to have:

Corel USER to USER Web Board ? View forum - Paint Shop Pro
It's been so long since I've been a beginner with PSP that it's hard to put myself in a beginner's shoes. But I can tell you this: its user interface is much easier to figure out that PhotoShop's. So I guess I'd have to say that it shouldn't be too difficult for the new user to pick up on it. One recommendation that I have, though -- when you load PSP it has three tabs at the top: Manage, Adjust, and Edit. It defaults to loading the "Manage" tab. I recommend that you totally ignore "Manage" and "Adjust" and go directly to "Edit." That's where you're gonna end up anyway, cuz that's where all the meaningful work is done -- so why not start there? The other two are meant, I believe, for PSP to look more like Adobe's Lightroom, which to me is a complete waste of disk space, time, and energy. They are completely unnecessary, IMO. I went into the Preferences menu and changed things so the program starts up in the "Edit" tab. This is traditionally the way PSP operated before Corel got bit by the Lightroom bug. I do all my work in the "Edit" tab and don't even think of the other two. Unless I'm trying to describe the program to somebody else.

Many thanks Cooltouch - sounds like a good program to go with.

---------- Post added 04-28-16 at 12:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote

I will keep on with GIMP as well when I have a little more time to focus on it properly. Thanks,

---------- Post added 04-28-16 at 12:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by doggy1972 Quote
I do use Gimp on occasion where layering is required. Its fiddly but, all the required masking tools. layer modes etc seem be there. I also use Faststone. Fantastic for quick previews and even RAW demosaicing if required. It has some quite useful shadow and highlight correction tools too. It lacks White Balance tools though. I tend to vet images in Faststone then take them in to Lightroom if I feel they are of value or, I cant get the toning I want from Faststone.
I've never heard of Faststone - something else to look at :-)
04-28-2016, 05:16 AM   #13214
Pentaxian

04-28-2016, 11:53 AM - 2 Likes   #13215
Site Supporter

a bus-snap from a couple years ago I'd forgotten about...
Pentax MX with Ektar - not sure about the lens. Probably the FA43

« Which AF Pentax? | - »