Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2016, 04:55 AM   #13471
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,141


06-05-2016, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #13472
Forum Member
Pentaxis's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 89
Hello all,
I just got some scans back from the lab that I use. The camera was my sweet Pentax ME Super, the film was long expired FujiColor 400 ASA. Here is on of the photos: Only in America...
Attached Images
 
06-05-2016, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #13473
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,124
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
Hello all,
I just got some scans back from the lab that I use. The camera was my sweet Pentax ME Super, the film was long expired FujiColor 400 ASA. Here is on of the photos: Only in America...
Looks good!

Phil.

---------- Post added 06-05-16 at 04:57 PM ----------

Got some 20 year old Agfachrome RS1000 from a forum member, a few shots from the "Lomo grain king"! (Pentax ME, shot at 400ISO)







Phil.
06-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #13474
Pentaxian
Clarkey's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton, ON, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,619
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Looks good!

Phil.

---------- Post added 06-05-16 at 04:57 PM ----------

Got some 20 year old Agfachrome RS1000 from a forum member, a few shots from the "Lomo grain king"! (Pentax ME, shot at 400ISO)

Phil.
That looks like ISO 200 out of my old 110!

06-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #13475
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,213
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
Hello all,
I just got some scans back from the lab that I use. The camera was my sweet Pentax ME Super, the film was long expired FujiColor 400 ASA. Here is on of the photos: Only in America...
Nice Buick! Say, do you remember what kind of car that is to the left just out of the picture? It reminds me of a Sunbeam Alpine I used to have.


Steve
06-05-2016, 11:55 PM   #13476
Site Supporter
arnold's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,195
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Got some 20 year old Agfachrome RS1000 from a forum member, a few shots from the "Lomo grain king"! (Pentax ME, shot at 400ISO)
Age seems to give a noisy "grain" effect, as if underexposed. Perhaps a bit of "over exposing" would help?

---------- Post added 06-06-16 at 17:01 ----------

[IMG]

These are from 1968. Kodachrome with a triplit lens Retinette 1A. South African scenes,
[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Bottom two taken in Durban, Top two, east of Pretoria on the road to Witbank.
06-06-2016, 02:35 AM   #13477
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,141
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Looks good!

Phil.

---------- Post added 06-05-16 at 04:57 PM ----------

Got some 20 year old Agfachrome RS1000 from a forum member, a few shots from the "Lomo grain king"! (Pentax ME, shot at 400ISO)







Phil.
I shot a roll of it (unexpired) at night in ~1986. Must dig out the one keeper I got.
06-06-2016, 05:15 AM   #13478
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,141
(this is more recent vintage, on the only film I've used in >10-years, superia 400)



06-06-2016, 06:25 AM   #13479
Forum Member
Pentaxis's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 89
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nice Buick! Say, do you remember what kind of car that is to the left just out of the picture? It reminds me of a Sunbeam Alpine I used to have.


Steve
Sorry, Steve, I can't remember. I was at the annual Cruising on Colby event in Everett WA. However, I am pretty sure that it wasn't an Alpine because I would have noticed it at the time I shot the picture. I am English and my best mate back in the 70s (now no longer with us, alas) owned a Sunbeam Alpine. He knew it as "the Alp".
06-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #13480
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,124
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Age seems to give a noisy "grain" effect, as if underexposed. Perhaps a bit of "over exposing" would help?
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I shot a roll of it (unexpired) at night in ~1986. Must dig out the one keeper I got.
Yeah if you have any fresh "samples" of Agfachrome that would be great to see.

I talked to my processing lab about the old stuff I got and they recommended shooting the same shot at four different ISO speeds (800, 640, 500 & 400) to see which worked the best and then process the film "normally". 400 ISO seemed best to me and had more detail, here is the same "needle" shot previously posted at 800 ISO for comparisons.



Phil.

---------- Post added 06-06-16 at 08:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
These are from 1968. Kodachrome with a triplit lens Retinette 1A. South African scenes,
Good stuff, looks like the film was processed yesterday!

Phil.
06-06-2016, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #13481
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,141
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yeah if you have any fresh "samples" of Agfachrome that would be great to see
OK, I forgot I have a couple of shots, one from ~1977 (and I'm not real sure it was the agfachrome, could have been GAF):



And the ~1986 night shot:

06-06-2016, 08:45 AM - 1 Like   #13482
Site Supporter
g026r's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,260
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I talked to my processing lab about the old stuff I got and they recommended shooting the same shot at four different ISO speeds (800, 640, 500 & 400) to see which worked the best and then process the film "normally". 400 ISO seemed best to me and had more detail, here is the same "needle" shot previously posted at 800 ISO for comparisons.
I'd probably have tried shooting it at around 200. Rules of thumb for expired film seem to vary depending on who you talk to, but I've found the "adjust sensitivity 1 stop for every decade expired" one has generally treated me well. (Though faster films do seem to degrade a bit quicker than slow ones IME.)
06-06-2016, 08:52 AM   #13483
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,213
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxis Quote
Sorry, Steve, I can't remember. I was at the annual Cruising on Colby event in Everett WA. However, I am pretty sure that it wasn't an Alpine because I would have noticed it at the time I shot the picture. I am English and my best mate back in the 70s (now no longer with us, alas) owned a Sunbeam Alpine. He knew it as "the Alp".
Everett? My dad may very well know the owner of that Buick! I think it belongs to his neighbor. Dad is a big Buick fan and until recently owned a '57 Roadmaster that he never got around to restoring. On the property at present are six Buicks in various states of repair/restoration. I only have one ('92 Riviera) and prefer to collect cameras. Cars are too big.


Steve
06-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #13484
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,124
QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
OK, I forgot I have a couple of shots, one from ~1977 (and I'm not real sure it was the agfachrome, could have been GAF):
Thanks for posting! I'm assuming you shot at box speed of 1000ISO?

Phil.

---------- Post added 06-06-16 at 10:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
I'd probably have tried shooting it at around 200. Rules of thumb for expired film seem to vary depending on who you talk to, but I've found the "adjust sensitivity 1 stop for every decade expired" one has generally treated me well. (Though faster films do seem to degrade a bit quicker than slow ones IME.)
Thanks I'll shoot the next roll between 200 and 400 to see if it makes any difference.

Phil.
06-06-2016, 10:55 AM - 4 Likes   #13485
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,141
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Thanks for posting! I'm assuming you shot at box speed of 1000ISO?
Most likely. The first shot was in Glasgow, Clyde River, TTL metered through my Rollei SL35. Like I said it might have been GAF 500, I'll try to remmber to check when I get home (if I can even find it). The second, a Liberty ship about to be towed out from Halifax harbour for USN target practice, would have been hand-held sekonic cds autoleader (dead TTL), not very accurate in low light. ISTR metering off a lit area and then walking back for the shot.

Here's a daytime shot of the Liberty ship on tri-x:

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
architecture, details, ektar, exposure, film, goats, grandma, hood, kodachrome, kodak, lab, legs, lens, lunch, lx, mx, pentax, phil, photos, post, q7, roll, sarajevo, scans, shot, shots, steve, thanks, tokina, velvia
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K20D test shots at Lets Go Digital schufosi777 Pentax News and Rumors 6 04-20-2013 11:31 AM
Macro Cool Macro shots derajjjg Post Your Photos! 2 12-27-2009 09:36 PM
Lets see your Moon and Mars shots Igilligan Post Your Photos! 9 12-05-2009 08:55 AM
Way cool bat shots and General Talk 7 10-01-2009 02:54 AM
Cool Shots & Info Fl_Gulfer Post Your Photos! 0 12-10-2007 11:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top