Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2016, 01:36 AM   #13831
Pentaxian

Yeah, it's some kind of vine that covers everything in sight. I'm off to photograph more green stuff in the hinterlands, I might check back in here mid-week.

07-24-2016, 01:15 PM - 3 Likes   #13832
Veteran Member

Pentax SF1, 100mm/f2.8, Rollei Crossbird 200, Argentix E6 kit, Hasselblad X1 scan:

Chris
07-24-2016, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #13833
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drmoss_ca Quote
Pentax SF1, 100mm/f2.8, Rollei Crossbird 200, Argentix E6 kit, Hasselblad X1 scan:

Chris
Cool, like the first one's bokeh!

Phil.

---------- Post added 07-24-16 at 02:37 PM ----------

A sample shot from my second roll of 1997 expired AgfaChrome RS1000.This one was taken at ISO 160, looks like I still have to go down a bit, maybe to even 50 ISO.

Still I'm having fun mucking with the old slide film and my bazooka zoom. (LX & K85-210/3.5)

Phil.
07-24-2016, 04:09 PM - 2 Likes   #13834
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Cool, like the first one's bokeh!

Phil.

---------- Post added 07-24-16 at 02:37 PM ----------

A sample shot from my second roll of 1997 expired AgfaChrome RS1000.This one was taken at ISO 160, looks like I still have to go down a bit, maybe to even 50 ISO.

Still I'm having fun mucking with the old slide film and my bazooka zoom. (LX & K85-210/3.5)

Phil.
I like it, it has a sort of "lomo" quality.

I also resurrected something from a galaxy far, far away, namely the T80 I bought some time ago and didn't bother testing it so far.

So, this is also a mini-review of the relic from the 80s, for those who don't know this is the first AF camera from Canon, more or less equivalent to the Pentax ME-X.

Like many Canons of the era it suffers to super-automation, you can't use it manually but there are five programs, from the small guide that came with it, it appears that Canon wanted to make a SLR easy to be used for people who didn't bother learning proper photography, F stop, EV and shutter speeds but wanted to get "pro" pics, so if you want to shoot open wide there is a program (shallow DOF), if you want a deeper DOF there is the relative program, if you want to shoot fast objects giving the impression of speed (Cooltouch's pics of racing cars) there is the flowing mode where you can select few shutter speeds. If you want to use fast shutter speeds there is the freeze program, for the rest there is the standard program. In the booklet everything is explained very well with simple language.

I have the two zooms, the 35-70 and the 70-200, they are optically like the standard FD lenses, that means consumer's zooms from the 80s so not so great, you can shoot manually, with AF or locking the subject. Sometimes the autofocus fails dramatically, but the camera is equipped with the L screen (that I also have in my F1N, it's quite rare) so manual focus is possible. The T80 is noisy, it beeps when the focus is locked, but I somewhat like this camera, because it's smaller and the blue plastic body feels better than for instance the T90.

Few shooting samples:

The macro capability of the 35-70 is laughable.

Also not much flare resistant.

This one has been taken at 70mm, shallow mode.

The barrel distortion is evident.

70-200 shot at 200mm, shallow mode. The separation is minimal as you can see...the Sonnar 200mm f2.8 is another lens.

Nevertheless the AF when it works makes a good work, 200mm shallow mode.

Pincushion distortion (moderate) for the long lens.

Probably the best shot of the series for me.

1/30 flowing mode, not enough to see the flow of the water.

Difference between 70mm shallow and 35mm program mode.

Boring architecture at about 45mm with a circular polarizing filter, that is difficult to use as the lens goes forward and backward.

In short interesting toy, nice built camera with typical industrial design of the mid 80s, and it also takes pictures! The film used was Fuji Superia 200.

Here with another example of design of the same era, I hope I didn't bore you to death with this post.

07-24-2016, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #13835
Pentaxian

The first of the batch of Provia 400 I managed to grab just before Fuji announced its discontinuation & the price shot through the roof. Hopefully, now that the 6x7 is working again, I'll actually be able to make use of it properly.

Pentax 6x7.
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/6x7 55mm f3.5.
Fujichrome Provia 400X.
07-25-2016, 01:01 AM   #13836
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I like it, it has a sort of "lomo" quality.

I also resurrected something from a galaxy far, far away, namely the T80 I bought some time ago and didn't bother testing it so far.
I've come to appreciate the chunky, primitive AF 80s cameras. I hadn't realised any of Canon's pre-EOS cameras were AF, is it a modified version of the FD mount?

I have an SFXn I've used a bit recently and decided I liked (so I bought two more ), and a Ricoh XR-M. I also like Pentax's P series a lot. 80s cameras are often under-appreciated and very capable, which makes them bargains. I think it's mostly because of the look they have, plus they're too new to be classics and too new to be modern.
07-25-2016, 01:35 AM - 1 Like   #13837
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Practika BC100, bought the same week as a nice Super A. 50mm 2.4 kit lens, cheap 200ASA film from Poundland, developed and burned to disc by Asda (Walmart).
Super A came without a strap so please forgive the one attached in this.

Attached Images

07-25-2016, 02:46 AM   #13838
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
Practika BC100, bought the same week as a nice Super A. 50mm 2.4 kit lens, cheap 200ASA film from Poundland, developed and burned to disc by Asda (Walmart).
Super A came without a strap so please forgive the one attached in this.
This is not the gear thread! :P

However it appears you need:

1) A Pentax strap, possibly the one branded Super A, camera of the year.
2) A Zenit for the strap, it's likely that you'll spend more for the Pentax strap than for this camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I've come to appreciate the chunky, primitive AF 80s cameras. I hadn't realised any of Canon's pre-EOS cameras were AF, is it a modified version of the FD mount?

I have an SFXn I've used a bit recently and decided I liked (so I bought two more ), and a Ricoh XR-M. I also like Pentax's P series a lot. 80s cameras are often under-appreciated and very capable, which makes them bargains. I think it's mostly because of the look they have, plus they're too new to be classics and too new to be modern.
I shot another film with the T80 and I'm going to collect it today after work. Yes the AC lenses are FD mount with more electric connectors, they are a sort of precursors of the EF lenses, they work with the same principle but the diameter of the EF bayonet is larger because they have added more connectors, while with the T80 mount they wanted to keep commonality with the previous lenses.

I think the reason the T80 was a failure commercially was not for technical reasons (a friend of mine has a Minolta 7000 and it works as bad as the T80) but because it can't be used in manual mode, or in the traditional Av e Tv modes as well.
07-25-2016, 02:50 AM   #13839
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

There was a brief time when cameras had gained AF and AE and still worked the way I liked them to work with manual controls and no menus. That's why my shelves hold three SF1s, and old SF10 (DX coded film only!) and a pair of 645n's. The fact that the lenses were all remarkably good and hadn't yet been cheapened with plastic and no aperture rings helps a lot!

Chris
07-25-2016, 06:01 AM - 3 Likes   #13840
Veteran Member

Two more Rollei Crossbird with Argentix E6 kit:

Chris
07-25-2016, 08:10 AM   #13841
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
The first of the batch of Provia 400 I managed to grab just before Fuji announced its discontinuation & the price shot through the roof. Hopefully, now that the 6x7 is working again, I'll actually be able to make use of it properly.

Pentax 6x7.
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/6x7 55mm f3.5.
Fujichrome Provia 400X.
Nice shot! My stock is slowly depleting, will miss it when I'm out.

Phil.
07-25-2016, 02:17 PM   #13842
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drmoss_ca Quote
There was a brief time when cameras had gained AF and AE and still worked the way I liked them to work with manual controls and no menus. That's why my shelves hold three SF1s, and old SF10 (DX coded film only!) and a pair of 645n's. The fact that the lenses were all remarkably good and hadn't yet been cheapened with plastic and no aperture rings helps a lot!

Chris
Ok here there are other shots taken with the T80:

Lady doing some charity service, this pic made me sad because IMO they shouldn't use people that old for that.

35-70mm at 70mm, shallow program.

The macro of the 70-200mm is better than the 35-70 but not so much, it just works at 70mm, shallow program.

again barrel distortion with the 35-70 at 35mm, program mode (I think)

70mm shallow mode: at a certain distance no bokeh, but the colours are nice

35mm shallow a close distance, better.

35mm...the lightmeter and exposure control of the T80 are actually pretty good.

70-200 at 200m, deep mode.

Deep mode for architecture is good, unfortunately not great lighting conditions.

However the deep mode is not too deep, or perhaps there wasn't enough light to get a deeper DOF.

200mm, program mode.

200 shallow mode, not much separation.

70mm deep mode.

In conclusion, the T80 is a somewhat fun camera, I think I'll shoot more in the future and I'll try to get the 50mm f1.8 (probably the most suitable lens for my shooting way), it's a little disconcerting not to know at which F stop and shutter speed you are shooting, but 90% of the shots are spot on.

Last edited by Cuthbert; 07-25-2016 at 02:32 PM.
07-25-2016, 04:13 PM - 2 Likes   #13843
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking through some old Kodachrome 64 slides from a trip to Europe in the summer of 1976, the picture is of me in Budapest and taken by a stranger. If you see a concerned look on my face it's because I would have been worried he/she was going to run off with my new KX!

The old KX is still going strong 40+ years later and I'll be taking it out for its yearly shoot next weekend.

Phil.
07-26-2016, 04:17 AM - 3 Likes   #13844
Veteran Member

Last two from the 35mm Rollei Crossbird 200:

Chris
07-26-2016, 04:30 AM - 4 Likes   #13845

dance like no one is watching

pentax 645, ilford delta 100, developed in rodinal 1/100
Attached Images