Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43119 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2017, 07:37 AM   #14851
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Unfortunately, it seems most places charge more to scan already-developed film than they do to develop and scan together. I'm probably out more time by developing myself, preview scanning, and then packing everything up to send it out for pro scanning and correction. Are you familiar with a place that has decent rates on just scans? Also, they're almost all more expensive for individual frames vs entire, uncut rolls. I'm new to the mail order lab services. When I was last regularly using film, I still had local services. No longer the case. The closest place that does everything in-house is 1.5-2 hours in downtown Philadelphia.
I suggest you get non-pro scans of the entire roll (which should run $10-20/roll inc. dev and optional cut & sleeved negs), these are generally fine for preview and web purposes (and probably small prints as well). and then go back for the more expensive pro treatment of select individual frames, or scan them yourself if so inclined.

03-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #14852
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I suggest you get non-pro scans of the entire roll (which should run $10-20/roll inc. dev and optional cut & sleeved negs), these are generally fine for preview and web purposes (and probably small prints as well). and then go back for the more expensive pro treatment of select individual frames, or scan them yourself if so inclined.
I can get processing, large, color-corrected scans (Noritsu: 2075x3130 and Frontier: 3637x2433) for about $14-$17/roll for C-41 and B&W. $19-$21 for the entire roll for developing and Frontier scanning at 3600x5400. Based on cost alone, not the time and satisfaction of doing it yourself, but it just seems silly to spend the time to home develop, preview scan, and then sending out to a lab for scans on top that at a higher cost than just developing and scanning from the start considering individual frame scans run $4-$12+ depending on file size. That's my opinion, based on my time limitations. I plan on doing more of this on my own, but likely years down the road when my children aren't little or even out of the house. If it's a two hour process +/- per roll, I'm not interested right now.
03-07-2017, 11:42 AM - 4 Likes   #14853
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Pentax ZX-5N
Can't remember which lens
Fujichrome Provia 100F Xpro'd
Epson V750-M Pro
03-07-2017, 12:45 PM   #14854
Pentaxian

I can get processing, large, color-corrected scans (Noritsu: 2075x3130 and Frontier: 3637x2433) for about $14-$17/roll for C-41 and B&W. $19-$21 for the entire roll for developing and Frontier scanning at 3600x5400. Based on cost alone, not the time and satisfaction of doing it yourself, but it just seems silly to spend the time to home develop, preview scan, and then sending out to a lab for scans on top that at a higher cost than just developing and scanning from the start considering individual frame scans run $4-$12+ depending on file size. That's my opinion, based on my time limitations. I plan on doing more of this on my own, but likely years down the road when my children aren't little or even out of the house. If it's a two hour process +/- per roll, I'm not interested right now.
Try a couple of rolls and see how you like it. I guess that's the key.

03-07-2017, 03:36 PM   #14855
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Pentax ZX-5N
Can't remember which lens
Fujichrome Provia 100F Xpro'd
Epson V750-M Pro
Not bad colours for x-pro.
03-07-2017, 03:48 PM - 4 Likes   #14856
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Not bad colours for x-pro.
Thanks. I've been working on getting semi normal color balance from cross processed slide film by manually setting scan levels then adjusting only levels and tone curve in PS.

This is from that same roll of cross processed Fuji Provia.

03-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #14857
Veteran Member

Thanks. I've been working on getting semi normal color balance from cross processed slide film by manually setting scan levels then adjusting only levels and tone curve in PS.

This is from that same roll of cross processed Fuji Provia.
Help me out with the thought process of shooting slide film, cross processing and working theninages in post to get what appears to be C-41-style colors?

03-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #14858
Veteran Member

Help me out with the thought process of shooting slide film, cross processing and working theninages in post to get what appears to be C-41-style colors?
Partially just for learning, and partially to show that the crazy colors we typically associate with cross processed slide film is more the result of the scanner/software interpreting it that way. The scan process I used is really not any different than what I do for normal C41 film scanning. By manually setting white and black points, then adjusting the midpoint of each color channel, you end up with semi normal colors from a cross processed negative.
03-08-2017, 03:49 AM - 2 Likes   #14859
Pentaxian

03-08-2017, 05:57 AM   #14860
Veteran Member

Partially just for learning, and partially to show that the crazy colors we typically associate with cross processed slide film is more the result of the scanner/software interpreting it that way. The scan process I used is really not any different than what I do for normal C41 film scanning. By manually setting white and black points, then adjusting the midpoint of each color channel, you end up with semi normal colors from a cross processed negative.
Gotcha. I have a roll of Velvia 50 in the fridge, but have never shot slide film. I think it tends to run a higher price per roll than C-41, so I was curious why use E-6 to get comparable results to C-41, but that makes sense.
03-08-2017, 11:09 AM   #14861
Veteran Member

Gotcha. I have a roll of Velvia 50 in the fridge, but have never shot slide film. I think it tends to run a higher price per roll than C-41, so I was curious why use E-6 to get comparable results to C-41, but that makes sense.
It's also a lot less expensive to develop C41 than getting proper E6 developing done.
This particular roll I wasn't even sure what was on it, it wasn't even completely shot, and I didn't want to spend extra time and money to mail it out for E6 developing, so just had it xpro'd locally.
03-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #14862
Pentaxian

It's also a lot less expensive to develop C41 than getting proper E6 developing done.
This particular roll I wasn't even sure what was on it, it wasn't even completely shot, and I didn't want to spend extra time and money to mail it out for E6 developing, so just had it xpro'd locally.
Does it need special treatment, or does it just go in the same soup?
03-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #14863
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Does it need special treatment, or does it just go in the same soup?
Just typical C41 soup.
03-08-2017, 04:07 PM   #14864
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What happens if you scan as positive and simply reverse the colors?

Steve
03-08-2017, 05:27 PM   #14865
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What happens if you scan as positive and simply reverse the colors?

Steve
If I scan as positive without any adjustments in Epson Scan, then simply invert, it doesn't look great. If you look at the resulting histogram though, the left end of all three color channels is way to the right. The border of the film (unexposed area) is gray instead of the black it should be.