Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #2986
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
Yup, no doubt about that! I find that color balance is by far the hardest part of scanning. Good color profiles make it much much easier though, but then presenting them on the web throws another wrench in the machine since many browsers, including chrome, don't support color profiles. That and srgb doesn't even come close to displaying everything on film, slides in particular.
Well, back in 1996 the standard color space of the web was defined to be sRGB and gamma 2.2. So it shouldn't be a problem for non-color managed HTTP clients. And only pretty recently has HTTP clients such as Firefox and Safari added color management. Safari needed it more than any other prior to OSX 10.6 because before that most Mac users didn't even know they had a default gamma of 1.8 and wondered why their pictures looks so different on other computers.

05-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #2987
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Well, back in 1996 the standard color space of the web was defined to be sRGB and gamma 2.2. So it shouldn't be a problem for non-color managed HTTP clients...
Chrome supposedly defaults to srgb, and that's semi OK on a normal monitor, but photos look really bad when viewed on a high gamut monitor. Even when the profile is set to srgb the colors are off between browsers. For example, the images below show the same picture as viewed in Photoshop, Chrome, and Firefox. Chrome looks wrong and it's exaggerated even more on a good monitor. Being srgb they should all be the same, but they aren't. Safari uses webkit like chrome, so I'd be interested to see how it handles images with profiles, even if it supports them. I run my mac headless and through VNC so I can't really do an accurate test myself.

Sorry for going a little off topic, but at least it's related. Everyones perception of the images in this thread will be different based on their monitor and browser choice.

Anyway, back to all these wonderful images everyone keeps posting!

EDIT:These screen captures don't show how extreme the color differences are, I'm gonna have to take a picture of my actual monitor. The differences aren't minor they are HUUUUGE!

Last edited by Vertex Ninja; 05-10-2010 at 10:24 PM.
05-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #2988
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I finally finished the roll of Arista 100 that has been in my MX since March.
Here are a few from March.

Pentax MX, K 24/2.8, Arista EDU 100

Pentax MX, K 24/2.8, Arista EDU 100

Swift1
Wow! Those two pictures bring back memories! Unless I am really out of it, they were taken at the Museum of Anthropology at UBC in Vancouver, BC. I was a graduate student there 30 years ago. What a wonderful collection.

Steve
05-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #2989
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow! Those two pictures bring back memories! Unless I am really out of it, they were taken at the Museum of Anthropology at UBC in Vancouver, BC. I was a graduate student there 30 years ago. What a wonderful collection.

Steve
Yes, that's the Museum of Anthropology at UBC. The second pic is a traditional Haida long house, originally built by Bill Reid probably sometime around when you were there. A close friend of mine was part of the crew that recently reconstructed the roof on the long house. When I was up in Vancouver, he took me to see the work he had done.

Swift1

05-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #2990
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimfear Quote
Fittingly mehanikaloptikal posted some high ISO pictures above, nice ones also. I just finished a high ISO experiment I had been thinking about for a while.

Shooting Tri-x at 6400 and stand developing it in Rodinal. I was really surprised by the results! I was expecting grain the size of a smaller house and no grey scale at all.
[/IMGWIDE]
I am also experimenting with Rodinal 1:100 one hour stand development.
I added 100ml of Xtol for the last roll. Awaiting to scan the result.

Cheers,

Luc
05-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #2991
Veteran Member

Fittingly mehanikaloptikal posted some high ISO pictures above, nice ones also. I just finished a high ISO experiment I had been thinking about for a while.

Shooting Tri-x at 6400 and stand developing it in Rodinal. I was really surprised by the results! I was expecting grain the size of a smaller house and no grey scale at all.

Tri-x @6400 for 2 hours in Rodinal
KX with K50/1.2 @ about f/2.8

I'm not experienced with high-ISO film usage, but that looks incredibly clean! Sure it wasn't taken with a digital K-x? I have a 1600iso Tri-X experiment going at the moment, however I don't do my own development at this stage. Will see how it goes when I finish the roll.

I have enjoyed viewing the shots here on the last 2 pages in particular.
Jussi - very nice shots, and so sharp. What is that car in your film comparison?

I have been 'excited' lately and have another 5 rolls being developed this week. Meanwhile here is a couple of shots I haven't posted as yet:

Super Program, M50 f/1.4, Ilford FP4+ 125iso (I need to check!)
(This was my first time using this film, and I was walking through a dense forest track with streams and mountains etc in NZ. Unfortunately I didn't do very well, the film seemed to have too much contrast for the lighting conditions and I think my technique wasn't very good. It's all a learning experience I guess... The image below was one that I wasn't too unhappy with)

Super Program, M50 f/1.4, Kodak ektar 100 (I should check this too)
Lake Tekapo, New Zealand

05-10-2010, 11:48 PM   #2992
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
I am also experimenting with Rodinal 1:100 one hour stand development.
I added 100ml of Xtol for the last roll. Awaiting to scan the result.

Cheers,

Luc
Did you notice any clear differences in adding the Xtol? What ISO do you shoot at?

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
I'm not experienced with high-ISO film usage, but that looks incredibly clean! Sure it wasn't taken with a digital K-x? I have a 1600iso Tri-X experiment going at the moment, however I don't do my own development at this stage. Will see how it goes when I finish the roll.

Damn, I might have missed that line between the K and the X... Yes now I'm sure of it, I mistook the Extreme-III card for Tri-X also! This must be a digital picture

I like the Ektar picture, that light blue water makes me want to swim in it. Though it's probably ice cold.

05-11-2010, 01:02 AM   #2993

QuoteQuote:
originally posted by jgredline

I love your holga shots! What and how did you modify it?
Thanks! I have the Holga modifired to give two usable apertures (approx. f/8 and f/11), closer focusing (the old stop was removed and a new one installed - now focuses to 2ft), and a cable release. The interior is also painted a flat black to keep stay light from reflecting off shiny surfaces. It's about the crappiest camera ever, but every once in a while it can give you results that few other cameras can.
05-11-2010, 01:44 AM   #2994
Pentaxian

First off, I also thought mehanikaloptikal's shots were great.

Your high ISO shot looks fantastic. I would have thought that Tri-x @6400 would need something like Microphen but I would never imagined Rodinal giving such good results. It looks like there is lost detail in the shadows but for a 6400 push its just amazing. I'd love to see more of your 6400/rodinal shots if possible.

Recently I moved from Tri-x to Tmax for my 400 films but as much as Tmax is a really sharp film, I miss the look of Tri-x and I will be moving back to it once I've used up most of my existing Tmax stock.
05-11-2010, 04:06 AM   #2995
Veteran Member

Jason - that's a classic Mustang , and thank you. I haven't taken the P645 out and about much, shot more around the house. I hope to do more traveling with it this summer...

P645, A 75mm, Fuji 400H, rusty Dodge truck
05-11-2010, 04:54 AM   #2996
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Your high ISO shot looks fantastic. I would have thought that Tri-x @6400 would need something like Microphen but I would never imagined Rodinal giving such good results. It looks like there is lost detail in the shadows but for a 6400 push its just amazing. I'd love to see more of your 6400/rodinal shots if possible.

Recently I moved from Tri-x to Tmax for my 400 films but as much as Tmax is a really sharp film, I miss the look of Tri-x and I will be moving back to it once I've used up most of my existing Tmax stock.

Ok here's another one. Yes the shadows are not much to hope for when pushing to 6400. I noticed that exposure was quite critical, underexposure was pure suicide. But overall very impressed by the performance of this combination.

Tmax is a really nice film, I mostly use the ISO 100 version and like it a lot.

Tri-x @6400 for 2 hours in Rodinal
KX with K28/3.5 @ 3.5?

05-11-2010, 07:21 AM   #2997
Veteran Member

Did you notice any clear differences in adding the Xtol? What ISO do you shoot at?
First impression as I have not finished scanning and reviewing the whole roll.
- grain seems less apparent
- less compensation effect that with Rodinal alone
- shadow fully detailed
I shot at rated Ei i.e. 100 and it was a sunny day. In retrospect I should have shot at Ei 125 or 160 for stand development as recommended. I have a little book on stand development and it is recommended to expose a lot more for the highlight than you would usually do for normal development.
I will have to try with different conditions and IE.

Cheers,

Luc
05-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #2998
Veteran Member

Fuji Astia, Voigtlander Bessa 66 Skopar
05-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #2999
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Another "educational" shot from the new view camera. This was from a roll of Arista EDU Ultra 100 (aka. Foma Pan 100) that I had intended as an ISO film speed test series. I managed to screw up the development somewhat, so any test aspect for the roll was sort of messed up as well.

Arista EDU Ultra 100 (120), Edwal FG-7 (screwed up time...), Caltar II-N 150/5.6

Despite poor processing, I am pretty impressed with the EDU Ultra 100 and think that it will be more than adequate for learning how to shoot 4x5 sheet film. Grain is only moderately fine, but acuitance is high and tonal range is broad enough. Too bad I don't have another roll to see what it looks like with proper development The price is right too...less than $25 for 50 4x5 sheets and a little over $2 a roll for 120. This was also a test roll for my Calumet C2 roll film back. It has the build characteristics of an early Beseler C23 enlarger (sturdy, but rough around the edges), but seems to have done a reasonable job of keeping the film flat and maintaining uniform frame spacing with no scratches or light leaks.

Steve

BTW...the Arista/Foma film is wonderfully free from curl <sigh>.

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-12-2010 at 09:06 AM.
05-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #3000
Veteran Member

Here is one of the shot developed 60' stand Xtol 80ml/Rodinal 5ml/500ml/APX100 EI100

Obviously roots were in shadow and sun in front between the trees.

Cheers,

Luc