Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #3496
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jason, I have the same problem about remembering what's what with what I was using for gear (and exposure settings). I have the best of intentions to bring a small notebook with me and keep a log, but somehow that hasn't happened yet. I do tag all my scans when I load them into the PC with the film, camera, lens, and date, but the settings are a whole 'nother ballgame.

Best,
Kevin

07-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #3497

I'm home for the summer, so I'm sadly away from my university library's scanners. I've been shooting, processing, and printing, though, and hopefully I'll scan some prints to share soon. '

I've also been shooting Kodachrome, since it's my last chance. I had them scanned by Dwayne's to tide me over until I get a scanner. Here are some examples!

SPII, Super-Takumar 55/1.8, Kodachrome 64

Last edited by jzietman; 07-17-2010 at 11:57 AM.
07-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #3498
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi folks. I had this roll of Velvia 50 processed and scanned by Samy's my local pro shop. They charged me $27.00 bucks for this and this did not include prints. My question is this. To my eyes and my monitor is calibrated, the color balance seems off to me. I see purple skies and believe me the skies where gray this day.. Does the color look right?

07-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #3499
Veteran Member

27 bucks for development and scan? That's exp. The colors look a bit over saturated to me, but maybe it's just my monitor.

07-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #3500
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
27 bucks for development and scan? That's exp. The colors look a bit over saturated to me, but maybe it's just my monitor.
Thanks Frank. They do to me also, that is why I am asking. I am wondering if this is simply the film, the scanning or ??? More opinions please.
07-16-2010, 03:36 AM   #3501
Veteran Member

I'll second the oversaturated comment. As far as it being the film, I haven't seen enough Velvia to know. I've only shot one roll and I had some serious issues with the way it was processed. Have another roll of it in the fridge, which, when I get around to shooting it, I'll certainly have processed somewhere else.

Best,
Kevin
07-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #3502
Veteran Member

Javier, that's slide film so you don't get prints Velvia is too saturated, ie. hyperreal, which is its appeal. The scans do have color balance issues - though you should be able to correct these yourself. "Pro" scanner services should be using film profiles to get the best possible results, but I suppose most don't.

Slide film development and scanning is more expensive than color print, but that's an awfully high price you paid. I just paid Dwayne's to develop & scan 2 rolls of 120 film, one slide and one print, for $24.43...

They'll do 36 mounted slides from 35mm film for $8.50 and scan them for $4.95 more.
They develop 35mm or 120 C41 for $3.99 and scan em for $2.99 - that's CVS pricing, but better scans, though you do have to pay postage on top.

By the way, I have trouble scanning Velvia at home, it's damn difficult to get things even approximately right, and I went crazy looking at various very different presentations, depending on choices made during the scan, and the different scanning softwares I used.

Ferrania 100 again, Super Tak 50/1.4, and the black lizard skin spottie. The meter on this camera is very sporadic, it didn't work at all for this roll. So I used the Force to figure exposure.

There seems to have been a vogue to put photographs on headstones in the 1920's - most of the ones I see are from that period. Interesting, and kind of sweet.

Last edited by Nesster; 07-16-2010 at 07:31 AM.
07-16-2010, 07:33 AM   #3503
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jzietman Quote
I'm home for the summer, so I'm sadly away from my university library's scanners. I've been shooting, processing, and printing, though, and hopefully I'll scan some prints to share soon. '

I've also been shooting Kodachrome, since it's my last chance. I had them scanned by Dwayne's to tide me over until I get a scanner. Here are some examples!

SPII, Super-Takumar 55/1.8, Kodachrome 64

Jack, the first two look jaggedy to me... my theory is that imgwide messed with them, so I'm qoting this as a plain img to see if that helps.

Looks like it did... that is some awesome blue/green tone on that Kodachrome. WOW
07-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #3504
Veteran Member

The Barge Inn, Jersey City

Ferrania 400, ES-II, SMC Takumar 28/3.5
07-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #3505
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Javier, unfortunately I don't have a calibrated monitor either, but I will say that the last 3 look to have 'purple' skies to me. I have no experience with slide (yet) so I cannot comment further...

You don't want to know how much slide dev and scanning costs in AU, nor the retail price of the film

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Jack, the first two look jaggedy to me... my theory is that imgwide messed with them, so I'm qoting this as a plain img to see if that helps.

Looks like it did... that is some awesome blue/green tone on that Kodachrome. WOW
I was going to mention that too; I think IMGWIDE will actually expand a portrait oriented photo if it's below a certain width (~900pix?).

Pentax MX, M200 f/4, Fuji Superia 400
07-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #3506
Veteran Member

The Barge Inn, Jersey City
Ferrania 400, ES-II, SMC Takumar 28/3.5
Jussi, that looks like such a tiny old inn; I can barely imagine anyone staying there.

Pentax MX, M50 f/1.4 @ f2, Fuji Superia 400
07-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #3507
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Jussi, that looks like such a tiny old inn; I can barely imagine anyone staying there.
Actually I think it's a bar.

Good tone with the M50/Superia combo, I can almost feel the sweater
07-16-2010, 09:39 AM   #3508
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
The price seems high to me as well, particularly considering the quality of the scans. There is significant artifact in the sky of a couple of the shots. As for sky color, it looks gray with a light purple tint on my laptop. I will take a look later with my good monitor.

As for the colors...VIVA VELVIA!!!

Velvia is known for its high contrast and extreme color. It is the true favorite for dramatic landscape photography.

Steve
07-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #3509
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...The meter on this camera is very sporadic, it didn't work at all for this roll. So I used the Force to figure exposure...
It looks like the force was with you on that one.

Steve
07-16-2010, 06:46 PM   #3510
Veteran Member

Text snipped

Ferrania 100 again, Super Tak 50/1.4, and the black lizard skin spottie. The meter on this camera is very sporadic, it didn't work at all for this roll. So I used the Force to figure exposure.

There seems to have been a vogue to put photographs on headstones in the 1920's - most of the ones I see are from that period. Interesting, and kind of sweet.
Jussi, definitely interesting and definitely kind of sweet...as is the bullet hole in the third from the left photo. Just noticed it as I was reviewing this thread. I suppose after the range, the cemetery is probably one of the safest places to shoot for target practice.

Best,
Kevin