Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43041 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #3691

Temple Drummer, A-Ma Temple, Macao:

(Tri-X in D-76 1:1)

08-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #3692
Pentaxian

I though I had a problem with my camera. I had developed a roll of TMY2 yesterday and today I was doing some rough scans to work out which shots were worth wet printing but on one strip of negs, they all seemed to be double exposures. I eventually realised that I had got two strips of negs in the film holder at once. Didn't look too bad though.

08-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #3693
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yashica Electro 35 / Ultramax 400

David
08-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #3694

Photos: Albums
David,

Nice shooting with the Electro 35. Is that Bridgeport Village?

Pete

08-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #3695
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I borrowed a Nikkormat FTN from my sister just to try it out. She bought it off CL but had nevered tried it. I wasn't sure if it worked properly but it sounded like the shutter speed were ok and I just used a handheld meter. The camera is kind of a cool camera, I like the styling and the features. It is a monster though. With the Nikkor-S 50/1.4 on it, it probably weighed twice what an ME and M 50/1.7 weigh.

Here a few from the test roll. Nothing special but I though I would share anyway.
These are all shot with the Nikkor-S 50/1.4 and Fujicolor 200, metered with a Gossen DigiSix.

08-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #3696
Veteran Member

Here are couple from the FTN with a Tamron 90/2.5 adaptall Macro. Also Fujicolor 200

08-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #3697
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
David,

Nice shooting with the Electro 35. Is that Bridgeport Village?

Pete
Thank you Pete. The first two pictures were taken at Millennium Plaza Park in downtown Lake Oswego. The third picture from Tualatin Commons in Tualatin.
Both places are very closed to Bridgeport Village.

The Electro 35 is my first rangefinder that I acquired recently and these pics is from the first tested roll.

David

08-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #3698

Photos: Albums
David - Lake O! That explains it, I rarely get out there. I recently picked up an Electro 35 myself. Fun camera, I kept it in the car for a while for those just in case shots!

Colton - Nice work, it looks like that Adaptall Macro worked well!
08-07-2010, 04:16 PM   #3699
Veteran Member

Since I got an Epson, I've been a scannng fool bringing negatives back to life.
All taken with a Minolta X-700.
In front of the Santo Tomas Church in Chichicastenango, Guatemala

Closeup of a statue at Copan, Honduras

My father questioning life

Near the noon hour in Antigua, Guatemala

Last edited by Jools; 08-07-2010 at 04:20 PM. Reason: clarification
08-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #3700
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
I though I had a problem with my camera. I had developed a roll of TMY2 yesterday and today I was doing some rough scans to work out which shots were worth wet printing but on one strip of negs, they all seemed to be double exposures. I eventually realised that I had got two strips of negs in the film holder at once. Didn't look too bad though.
Vendee, looks like a very happy accident - very cool result. Sure looked like a double exposure. Glad your camera is not to blame and that it's functioning correctly. That's usually the case with my gear; if it's not functioning correctly, it's a good bet that I've done something sketchy and the equipment is working fine

Best,
Kevin
08-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #3701
Veteran Member

@David - Nice work with the Yashica Electro 35. I've played with the Kodak Retina IIa a little bit and I've got my eyes peeled for a Canonet (so far no luck) in the rangefinder department. After seeing your shots I may have to start looking for a Yashica <g>. Don't know that I'd ever give up an SLR for a rangefinder, though, but they're fun to play with (and that Kodak is <sssshhh quiet>.

@Colton - looks like you're having fun in NikonLand, too, but it seems like you're having to work harder at it than I did. Results seem to be worth the effort and (I've mentioned this before) you get waaay better results out of that Fuji 200 than I do . Also sounds like you're having to carry a fair bit more weight than I have to with the EM. It's a fairly compact package and has a built-in meter to make things easier. It also beeps/buzzes if it thinks you are over/under exposing.

@jools - really enjoyed the Guatamala shots, particularly the portrait of your dad. You did alright by that Minolta X-700 and now you're doing alright by that Epson scanner. Keep 'em coming.

Best to all,
Kevin
08-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #3702
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
@David - Nice work with the Yashica Electro 35. I've played with the Kodak Retina IIa a little bit and I've got my eyes peeled for a Canonet (so far no luck) in the rangefinder department. After seeing your shots I may have to start looking for a Yashica <g>. Don't know that I'd ever give up an SLR for a rangefinder, though, but they're fun to play with (and that Kodak is <sssshhh quiet>.

Best to all,
Kevin
Thank you Kevin. The RF is different in many ways than the SLR, I am still trying to get use to it. The shutter is so quiet that at first I wan not even sure if I had already taken a shot. It is fun but you are right, it will not be replacing your SLR or DSLR.
A word of caution if you are looking for the Yahsica Eltecro 35; it could be a hit or miss in term of finding a good unit. The most prevalent problem is the POD (Pad of Death),
it will cause incorrect shutter speeds & other issues. If you google it you will find more information. This is actually my second unit, the first one was DOA and luckily I was able to return it, the latest one was picked up local and it seems working as it should, except the haze viewfinder and needs new light seals. I will consider getting a CLA sometime soon.

David
08-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #3703
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Portland Pete Quote
Colton - Nice work, it looks like that Adaptall Macro worked well!
Thanks. The Tamron 90/2.5 is one of my all-time favorite lenses. It's a great lens and I just happened to have a Nikon non AI adaptall mount so I figured I would try it out on the Nikkormat. Kinda fun to be able to switch from K mount to F mount.

Last edited by Swift1; 08-07-2010 at 11:22 PM.
08-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #3704
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote

@Colton - looks like you're having fun in NikonLand, too, but it seems like you're having to work harder at it than I did. Results seem to be worth the effort and (I've mentioned this before) you get waaay better results out of that Fuji 200 than I do . Also sounds like you're having to carry a fair bit more weight than I have to with the EM. It's a fairly compact package and has a built-in meter to make things easier. It also beeps/buzzes if it thinks you are over/under exposing.
Thanks Kevin. Thankfully I was just shooting the 1 roll with the FTN. It is a great camera and I enjoyed using it but I wouldn't want to pack that around much. I kinda like using the handheld meter though, helps me slow down and think about my shots a little more. I will definitely pick up the EM one of these days and run a roll through it. Looks like a great camera. Do you ever use the back lighting compensation button?
08-08-2010, 04:25 AM   #3705
Veteran Member

Colton, I know what you mean about the handheld meter; I have a Spotmatic II with a sketchy internal meter (and a shutter curtain that doesn't like the cold, but that's another story) that I use my dad's old Weston with and it definitely makes you think a little harder.

Re the backlight button - I've used it a couple times and it seems to work pretty well, although the EM seems to add a stop and a half to two stops unlike the similar button on my Canon AE-1 which only adds a single stop. Not sure if that's the way it works on all EMs or if that's unique to my copy. It's more convenient than the EV dials on my Pentaxes, but it doesn't seem very "scientific" - maybe it needs calibration. Also, for most of the shooting I do, I have time to change the dial, although it's nice not to have to take the camera away from your eye.

Best,
Kevin