Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43137 Likes Search this Thread
08-08-2010, 04:32 AM   #3706
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
Thank you Kevin. The RF is different in many ways than the SLR, I am still trying to get use to it. The shutter is so quiet that at first I wan not even sure if I had already taken a shot. It is fun but you are right, it will not be replacing your SLR or DSLR.
A word of caution if you are looking for the Yahsica Eltecro 35; it could be a hit or miss in term of finding a good unit. The most prevalent problem is the POD (Pad of Death),
it will cause incorrect shutter speeds & other issues. If you google it you will find more information. This is actually my second unit, the first one was DOA and luckily I was able to return it, the latest one was picked up local and it seems working as it should, except the haze viewfinder and needs new light seals. I will consider getting a CLA sometime soon.

David
How is focusing with the Yashica? It's really tough on the Kodak (and there's a pretty good haze in my viewfinder, too, which doesn't help with focusing) so I tend to shoot it pretty stopped down. Thanks for the warning about POD. Fortunately/unfortunately money is a little tight at the moment, so any new optional purchases aren't imminent <g>.

Best,
Kevin

08-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #3707
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vsl3-e Quote
Super A, DA L 18-55, Kodak Gold 200

i love this shot.

08-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #3708
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
@fearview, that's the thing with film...you don't know what you've got until you get it back from the lab (or process it yourself). In talking with the owner of the photoshop I frequent and the labs where I get my film processed, and it's clear a significant chunk of business back in the day was selling and processing a lot of crap just to get at the "keepers". With the cost of processing, I would have to want a specific shot really badly before I would even consider bracketing an exposure on flm.

Again, really nice capture.

Best,
Kevin

yes..yes indeed dont know what we got until we got it .. . you have too see my pale face when i see the first roll of Fuji came out from processing lab. its all white withno exposure.. i was like.. oh My God.. lucky i shot two rolls of them.

this one using MZ-5

Pentax MZ-5 + 43 1.9 + 2x TC vivitar + Fuji Pro 800Z

08-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #3709
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
How is focusing with the Yashica? It's really tough on the Kodak (and there's a pretty good haze in my viewfinder, too, which doesn't help with focusing) so I tend to shoot it pretty stopped down. Thanks for the warning about POD. Fortunately/unfortunately money is a little tight at the moment, so any new optional purchases aren't imminent <g>.

Best,
Kevin
Focus is fairly easy, but need to get used to it coming from SLR. You just need to line up two images in the center for one clear image. I did had two missed focus shots from the tested roll due to the haze viewfinder.

David

08-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #3710

Thank you Kevin. The RF is different in many ways than the SLR, I am still trying to get use to it. The shutter is so quiet that at first I wan not even sure if I had already taken a shot. It is fun but you are right, it will not be replacing your SLR or DSLR.
A word of caution if you are looking for the Yahsica Eltecro 35; it could be a hit or miss in term of finding a good unit. The most prevalent problem is the POD (Pad of Death),
it will cause incorrect shutter speeds & other issues. If you google it you will find more information. This is actually my second unit, the first one was DOA and luckily I was able to return it, the latest one was picked up local and it seems working as it should, except the haze viewfinder and needs new light seals. I will consider getting a CLA sometime soon.

David

David,

Nice work with the Electro. I used one for many years and was consistently amazed at the accuracy of the autoexposure system and the lovely 45mm lens. It is a different beast than an SLR and takes some getting used to.

I can recommend Russ at camerarefurb.com for a CLA. He did a great job on mine. Cost was around $50. The seals on mine were fine, but I think that would have been included in the price if they needed replacing.
08-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #3711

Diafine is now my official summer developer since I don't have to deal with temperature control issues.

Pentax P3n, Pentax-M 35mm f/2.0, LegacyPro 100 @ 200, Diafine:

08-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #3712
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nedski Quote
David,
I can recommend Russ at camerarefurb.com for a CLA. He did a great job on mine. Cost was around $50. The seals on mine were fine, but I think that would have been included in the price if they needed replacing.
Thanks Neil, Yes, that is my plan to send it to Russ for CLA. Glad to heard you are happy with his work. I really like the camera and it is well worth to have it done.

Diafine is now my official summer developer since I don't have to deal with temperature control issues.
Nice photo, I wish I have the time and patient to learn how to develop my own film.

David

08-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #3713
Veteran Member

Nice work, jools! I particularly like the shot of your father.

Here's something I shot last week:
Arbutus Branch, Gabriola Island. Spotmatic F, Super Takumar 105/2.8, Fuji Reala

08-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #3714
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Incredible photo! Wow...

Steve
08-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #3715
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Neil, Yes, that is my plan to send it to Russ for CLA. Glad to heard you are happy with his work. I really like the camera and it is well worth to have it done.

David
David,
I will be curious to hear how the experience with Russ goes. I have two Yashica Lynx and the shutter on one froze up this last week.

Steve
08-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #3716
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
David,
I will be curious to hear how the experience with Russ goes. I have two Yashica Lynx and the shutter on one froze up this last week.
Steve
Steve
I am planning on send it to him next week, depends on work schedule. So far he has been very helpful to answer my questions through email. Seems a nice guy to work with. He is also a member on RF Forum and people do recommend his service. I will keep you posted.

David
08-09-2010, 03:38 AM   #3717

For Yashicas; you can try Mark Hama in Georgia. He is the best. I have 4. Yashica Lynx 4e ICE, Yashica Electro 35 GSN, Minister III, MG-1. All working perfectly.
08-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #3718
Pentaxian

Really love that shot.
08-09-2010, 11:15 AM   #3719
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruiser Quote
For Yashicas; you can try Mark Hama in Georgia. He is the best. I have 4. Yashica Lynx 4e ICE, Yashica Electro 35 GSN, Minister III, MG-1. All working perfectly.
I would send it to Mark Hama except that I had read that he has become less dependable in recent years. Was your work done recently?

Steve
08-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #3720

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
David,

Steve
Steve,

Russ may not be the right person for your Lynx. My impression is that he doesn't do "deep" repairs (shutter repairs, lens/aperture blade cleaning, etc.). Based on our email exchange about the camera I sent him, I think he sticks to rangefinder cleaning and adjustments, light seals, releathering, and pad-of-death replacement. It's definitely worth asking about, though. He did a really beautiful job on my Electro -- the rangefinder was so clear it was like a new camera -- and the price was reasonable.