Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43040 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2010, 12:11 PM   #3856
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jason, really nice shooting, both above and on the preceding page.

Best,
Kevin

P. S. I have an MX that's currently in need of some work. These shots are making me anxious to give it a go.

09-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #3857
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
That's a nice shot John.

Last bit of sunlight on some pioneer ruins, Yellagonga Regional Park.
Very nice!
09-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #3858
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks guys, to be honest I'm a little bit flattered and suprised that you liked my shots.
Kevin, these were taken with my recently 'restored' MX that is sporting some nice red custom leather. I have been meaning to make a thread about it and post images sometime, maybe that will help spur you on

cheers,
09-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #3859

More good stuff, fellas.

09-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #3860
Veteran Member

Ok Jason, your shots are going to make me order some Reala 100 !!! wow, those are awesome.....I checked your set on flickr, very impressive...
09-05-2010, 07:01 AM   #3861
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, to be honest I'm a little bit flattered and suprised that you liked my shots.
Kevin, these were taken with my recently 'restored' MX that is sporting some nice red custom leather. I have been meaning to make a thread about it and post images sometime, maybe that will help spur you on

cheers,
Jason, I ended up getting an MX through Craigslist - bag, winder, three lenses (M50 f1.7, Soligor 28 f2.5, Soligor zoom 80-210), flash bracket, flash, and a whole raft of filters for the princely sum of $100 US . Problem started when I removed the winder; manual film advance and on-camera shutter release are a no-go. As soon as I have some spare shekels, I'll be sending it (and the winder) off to Eric. I have plenty of other cameras to shoot in the meanwhile. Clearly there's no rush on the MX as I've had it on the shelf all summer , but it's on my to-do list for fall.

Looks like you're getting great results out of yours. In the meanwhile, here are a couple of shots I took this summer in Wolfeboro, NH:

ZX-5n, FA35 f2, Fuji Reala 100

Wolfeboro Train Station

Town Hall

Main Street

Lake Shot

Empty Mill Building

These two are for Jason. Saw this T-Bird in a parking lot, just sitting there, pretty as you please. Have to admit my automotive stuff is nowhere as good as yours...

Wanted this head-on shot badly; sorry the tree is growing out of the roof. Gotta learn how to use photoshop one of these days...

Abandoned Factory on rail line

Saint Katharine Drexel Church

Best to all,
Kevin
09-05-2010, 07:12 AM   #3862

Jason, I sure like that shot of the rusted out chassis/four-banger ...

09-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #3863

Here are some shots made in June on a roll of Kodak Gold 200 (this is my default film for testing of lenses, bodies), SP1000, Super Takumar 55/2:

09-05-2010, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #3864
Veteran Member

Thanks for the kind comments on my shots guys.
Steve, this is only the second time I have shot Reala. I just got a roll to try after seeing frank's amazing results. I like it, very sharp and quite different and more contrasty than Ektar 100 from what I can see.
Paul, thanks; You have some great sharp and colourful shots there. I like the last one the best.
Kevin, thanks. Love the results you are getting, and the archintecture of Wolfeboro looks nice. Good job on the car too, being an Aussie I haven't seen that model ever before. Now here's one for you. Unfortunately a quite busy background, but nothing I could really do about that:

Pentax MX, Fuji Reala 100, M50 f/1.4

09-05-2010, 08:53 AM   #3865
Site Supporter

Thanks for the kind comments on my shots guys.
Steve, this is only the second time I have shot Reala. I just got a roll to try after seeing frank's amazing results. I like it, very sharp and quite different and more contrasty than Ektar 100 from what I can see.
Paul, thanks; You have some great sharp and colourful shots there. I like the last one the best.
Kevin, thanks. Love the results you are getting, and the archintecture of Wolfeboro looks nice. Good job on the car too, being an Aussie I haven't seen that model ever before. Now here's one for you. Unfortunately a quite busy background, but nothing I could really do about that:

Pentax MX, Fuji Reala 100, M50 f/1.4

There is discussion occasionally about certain lenses and sensor emulating film. This film potentially emulates digital! Well done.
09-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #3866
Pentaxian

Back to Tri-X 400 after a 6 month spell using T-Max. T-Max 400 is a great film with very fine grain but it doesn't have the "character" of Tri-X in my opinion.

And finally a shot from my last batch of T-max.

09-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #3867

The Tmax is slick; the other two have character; all good shots ...
09-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #3868
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
There is discussion occasionally about certain lenses and sensor emulating film. This film potentially emulates digital! Well done.
Thanks Blue. I see where you are coming from, but it's a strange ironic thought to end up using film that emulates digital It's nice to know that film doesn't have to give anything up to digital though, in most situations anyway. I did feel that the contrast and strength in blues of the Reala is kind of like my digital K200D.

QuoteOriginally posted by Vendee Quote
Back to Tri-X 400 after a 6 month spell using T-Max. T-Max 400 is a great film with very fine grain but it doesn't have the "character" of Tri-X in my opinion.
I will go back to using some Tri-X too, soon. I have only used one roll of T-Max but my quick conclusions were similar. Very sharp and fine grained. Nice shots! Regardless of the film used, I like the last shot of the girl.

And while you guys seem to like my Reala shots, here's some more:

Pentax MX, M135 f/3.5, Fuji Superia Reala 100

Pentax MX, M200 f/4, Fuji Superia Reala 100

I couldn't help myself, bought another roll of this to try sometime. Expensive when you buy it locally! ($11AUD).
09-05-2010, 08:20 PM   #3869
Veteran Member

Jason, really enjoying your Reala shots. Woof turned me on to it and I'd have to say it's my current favorite film (although I shoot a lot more Ultramax 400 as it's more readily available retail in my area). Although at $11 a roll, I'd think twice about shooting any film, no matter how much I liked it. Coincidentally, my car shot was a Ford, too. Model was a Thunderbird, but I think the car I shot is a little younger than yours, although I don't know the model year.

Vendee, I haven't shot T-Max, but I'm with you - Tri-X is the real deal, although I shot some Ilford FP4 Plus and am very happy with the results. It competes with Kodak's Plus X and to be frank, I haven't had much luck with the Kodak variant. Of the slower B&W films I've had better luck with Fuji Acros and now the Ilford. Regardless of the film you're shooting, I always enjoy your composition.

My wife was out of town for a few days and I stopped by my alma mater (University of Hartford) and took a few shots

ME Super, M50 f1.7, Ilford FP4

Best to all,
Kevin
09-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #3870
Veteran Member

Kevin, that Ilford looks great. I particularly like the composition and tones of the first two, very nice. I can't imagine taking that second shot with a digital camera! The one time so far I have used FP4 it did seem to show an amazing exposure range.
I finished off a roll of it in my Spotmatic just lask weekend, haven't developed it yet. My spottie has a broken meter, so the exposures could be a mixed bag