Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 12:21 AM   #4426
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
... I have grown fed-up to throw away so much plastic.
Cannot do anything about 120 of course...

Cheers,

Luc
I'm beginning to think this too. Deciding on the film(s) to buy in bulk is the hard part. That legacy 100 is very nice in Pyrocat MC, but it's gone soon and fuji doesn't offer it in bulk either. I'm trying to decide between hp5+, tmy-2, and tx for my main film, but none of them really look like neopan.

12-04-2010, 03:48 AM   #4427
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

cold drink offer.

Pentax *ist + smc Pentax-A 1:2.8/24 + Fuji Superia 400
12-04-2010, 05:00 AM   #4428
Veteran Member

In a vintage mood -

Jupiter-12 on Fed-3, Fomapan 400 in D-76, guess exposure
Turns out the Fed shutter has an area where the fabric's worn - only visible when the shutter is cocked. Not visible here. There's an associated wrinkle so maybe it's rubbed off over time, I think this is fixable though. What isn't fixable: I forgot how to rewind the Fed, broke the film, then fished with it in the dark bag to get it on the developing reel, got all sorts of interesting stuff on the film itself as a result. But who said film isn't fun

Nikkor 35/2 on Nikon FE, Fomapan 100 in D-76
12-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #4429
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
I'm beginning to think this too. Deciding on the film(s) to buy in bulk is the hard part. That legacy 100 is very nice in Pyrocat MC, but it's gone soon and fuji doesn't offer it in bulk either. I'm trying to decide between hp5+, tmy-2, and tx for my main film, but none of them really look like neopan.
Do you think that Fuji Across 100 will be discontinued like Fuji Neopan 400 was? What I read is that Fuji would not sell the film in single roll but in pack of five. Mind you Fuji at full price is not going to be an option for me.

Legacy 100
I found this on RFF "I just spoke to Mark at Freestyle. He told me that LP100 is still available and the manufacture has not notified Freestyle of discontinuing it.
Of course we know LP400 is gone, and Mark confirmed" this was a post from 3 weeks ago.
But of course as this was the sale of excess inventory from Fuji it is bound to end one day. Which might also happen to Arista Premium = Kodak PlusX and TriX

So that would leave Kodak and Ilford as the only major brand suppliers of spool and then the companies from Eastern Europe (Adox, EFke, Foma)

Cheers,

Luc

Last edited by lbenac; 12-04-2010 at 09:33 AM.
12-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #4430
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
companies from Eastern Europe (Adox, EFke, Foma)
Add Maco to that list, though their products (Rollei Retro and others) are generally only available in Europe. I am seriously tempted to put together an order to macodirect.de. They have both Rollei Retro 80s and Rollei Retro 100 in 100' rolls at a decent price. Much depends on the results I get from my last roll of RR 80s.

Steve
12-04-2010, 11:32 AM   #4431
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote

cold drink offer.

Pentax *ist + smc Pentax-A 1:2.8/24 + Fuji Superia 400
Very nice.
12-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #4432
Veteran Member

still with the mood, Fed-3, J-12, Foma-400, D-76

The nice thing about meterless, or at most manually metered, is you no longer are beholden to the 'correct' exposure. In fact, I've never really caught on to exposure compensation as a way around that. Auto exposure is nice, don't get me wrong, and there are times when meterless I get anxiety attacks... but essentially, you get to pick what you want to expose for. In this case the shack in the bright setting sun. To hell with all the other stuff.

12-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #4433
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
...The nice thing about meterless, or at most manually metered, is you no longer are beholden to the 'correct' exposure. In fact, I've never really caught on to exposure compensation as a way around that. Auto exposure is nice, don't get me wrong, and there are times when meterless I get anxiety attacks... but essentially, you get to pick what you want to expose for.

I agree 100%. There are two exposure maxims that are too easy to ignore with built in, auto-exposure metering:
  1. Measure the values from the subject and place exposure correctly
  2. Once exposure is determined, there is no need to re-meter unless the light or the subject changes
A corollary to the second point is that the light generally does not change that fast.

I have found it amazingly liberating to have done a fair amount of work in the last year with meterless cameras and have seldom found that my exposure was would have benefited from built-in, multi-zone metering.

Steve
12-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #4434

I am glad I can finally add to this thread - expect to see more in the future!
These two taken with a K1000, 50mm M f1.7 lens, and Tri-X 400

Cheers,
Matt

12-04-2010, 04:15 PM   #4435
Veteran Member

Matt! Don't take so long next time, those are excellent, especially the first, it fits in perfectly with my current 50s early 60s kick. Picking out the highlights and letting the rest be... in there, really, with B&W latitude... but obscure, that's way cool.
12-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #4436
Veteran Member

ME, M 50mm f/1.7, long expired Kodak Gold 200

The first time I scanned these I got Newton rings because the roll was curled quite badly across its width. A few weeks in a textbook under a 5 lb. weight and the roll has flattened out enough to scan without hitting the scanner bed.

I need to find a source for cheap film sleeves, the local lab has stopped supplying them and just handed me the negatives loose in an envelope.

12-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #4437
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
ME, M 50mm f/1.7, long expired Kodak Gold 200

The first time I scanned these I got Newton rings because the roll was curled quite badly across its width. A few weeks in a textbook under a 5 lb. weight and the roll has flattened out enough to scan without hitting the scanner bed.

I need to find a source for cheap film sleeves, the local lab has stopped supplying them and just handed me the negatives loose in an envelope.

I have my lab give my negatives back to me uncut. That allows me to determine how many frames per strip and make better use of my negative pages (7 rows of 5 frames). You can get negative pages online several places.

Steve
12-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #4438
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Very nice.
thank you, Javier

student

Pentax Mx + M50 1.7 + superia
12-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #4439
Veteran Member