Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #4756

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
One more of the gulls, Neopan 400, D-76, MX, SMC-A 28/2.8, plus some water stains in the sky The MX shutter acted up with this second roll as well- about half of the roll was extremely under exposed. Hope sprang eternal; now it's Heigh Ho Off to Eric We Go

Thumbs up, once again. I'm not yet sure which I prefer of the two.

01-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #4757
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Ektar 100, Pentax MX, one of my prime lenses...
Kris
A seriously nice shot, Kris (I'm envious).
01-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #4758
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
pentax spotmatic sp2, super tak 35mm, fuji superia 200

waiting

snaped me ;-)

boo

waiting to cross

wb on film?

the end of the tunnel
01-26-2011, 08:57 PM   #4759
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote

snaped me ;-)
Ha! Ha! The guy was shooting stealth with a Bessa! Looks like he also might have a Russian Jupiter-8 mounted as well. Did you ever find a rangefinder you like?

Steve

Edit: On second thought, I am not so sure that it is a Bessa R or R2...Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what that guy was packing?

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-26-2011 at 09:08 PM.
01-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #4760
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ha! Ha! The guy was shooting stealth with a Bessa! Looks like he also might have a Russian Jupiter-8 mounted as well. Did you ever find a rangefinder you like?

Steve
I laughed when i saw it. if not that fellow snapping me, i would have sent this image to the bin.

as far as range finders go, i have not found one i truly want. i am actually looking at leicas right now. i think with in the next couple of weeks i will buy one.
01-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #4761
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
i am actually looking at leicas
They are nice. LTM or M mount? Metered or non-metered? New or used?

If you are considering a non-metered, you might want to look at the Canon P like I just got. It is about the same size as a Leica M and very nicely built at a price point of $250 or less. Thread mount though. I have been really impressed with mine. Luc has one too.

If you have a chance, you might also want to look at a Bessa before you spring for a Leica. A new Bessa R2A with Nokton 40/1.4 or R3A with Nokton 35/1.4 can be had for about $1100 new from Steve Gandy at Cameraquest. The R4A with is a little more money, but supports 28mm without an auxiliary finder. He is local to you in LA so it is possible to actually see and handle and compare. Gandy is a real Leica fan despite being a CV distributor and is very candid about the +/- of CV vs. Leica M. In any case, the C/V lenses reasonable substitutes for the Leitz product.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-26-2011 at 10:54 PM.
01-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #4762
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My vote for the Canon P with Canon RF lenses. Not expensive and feels good in the hand with good results from the lenses.

Cheers,

Luc

They are nice. LTM or M mount? Metered or non-metered? New or used?

If you are considering a non-metered, you might want to look at the Canon P like I just got. It is about the same size as a Leica M and very nicely built at a price point of $250 or less. Thread mount though. I have been really impressed with mine. Luc has one too.

If you have a chance, you might also want to look at a Bessa before you spring for a Leica. A new Bessa R2A with Nokton 40/1.4 or R3A with Nokton 35/1.4 can be had for about $1100 new from Steve Gandy at Cameraquest. The R4A with is a little more money, but supports 28mm without an auxiliary finder. He is local to you in LA so it is possible to actually see and handle and compare. Gandy is a real Leica fan despite being a CV distributor and is very candid about the +/- of CV vs. Leica M. In any case, the C/V lenses reasonable substitutes for the Leitz product.

Steve

01-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #4763
Veteran Member

Ektar 100, Pentax MX, one of my prime lenses...

Kris
i like this shot.

lovely.
01-27-2011, 03:42 AM   #4764
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Banjo Quote
A seriously nice shot, Kris (I'm envious).
QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
i like this shot.

lovely.
Thank you both. I was pleased with how it turned out.

I have a FED2 with an Industar 26m 5cm, a Jupiter 12 35mm and a Jupiter 11 135mm lens. It makes a fun change from my SLRs.

K.
01-27-2011, 07:59 AM   #4765

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Thanks Kevin - when I first started with folding cameras I was petrified about exposure - funny enough worried about over exposing things when the opposite is usual. But it was liberating, one realizes just how many approaches there are to 'correct' exposure - and focus, LOL!
Nesster, this is really true.

Since the youngest folders are nearing their 50th birthdays, the shutter speeds are off one way or another. You can only get a feel for how they're off by shooting, taking some notes, and looking at the results.

I've got one Agfa folder where the shutter speeds are pretty close, and an Ansco where the fast speeds are OK and the slow speeds get progressively slower.

Correct exposure and focus is a relative thing so with a little experience you can trust your judgement. Negative films are better because there's a bigger margin for exposure error.

This was taken with my Agfa Isolette I. I set the focus for this in feet using the scale that's marked in meters. DOH! It came out OK:

01-27-2011, 08:05 AM   #4766
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have a FED2 with an Industar 26m 5cm, a Jupiter 12 35mm and a Jupiter 11 135mm lens. It makes a fun change from my SLRs.
I also have a FED-2, but have ditched the Industar in favor of a Jupiter-8. I have the J-12 (nice lens!) but no J-11. You are so right about being a fun change from the SLRs. Strangely, the choice of tools does influence the creative process and the types of subjects I shoot.

Steve

BTW...The FED-2 with J-12 is the nicest handling combo on my camera shelf...even with the requisite auxiliary viewfinder.
01-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #4767
Pentaxian

I also have a FED-2, but have ditched the Industar in favor of a Jupiter-8. I have the J-12 (nice lens!) but no J-11. You are so right about being a fun change from the SLRs. Strangely, the choice of tools does influence the creative process and the types of subjects I shoot.

Steve

BTW...The FED-2 with J-12 is the nicest handling combo on my camera shelf...even with the requisite auxiliary viewfinder.
I have to "adjust" the cam on my FED2 before the J12 will fit. I want to finish the roll of Ektar first, however.

Do you have one of those turret auxiliary finders or a specific 35mm one?

Best wishes, K.
01-27-2011, 08:11 AM   #4768

Here are a couple from a going away party for neighbors. All with a ZXM and SMC-M 35mm f/2.0. I have to say the ZXM finder really stinks in low light. (Does anyone know how the PZ-1 is for manual focusing? I like the specs of the camera, but have never looked through one.)

Tri-X and Diafine are a perfect combo for available light. It was so dark that I did a lot of shooting at 1/15 or 1/30 wide open so the results are a little mushy.

01-27-2011, 08:19 AM   #4769
Veteran Member

I have to "adjust" the cam on my FED2 before the J12 will fit. I want to finish the roll of Ektar first, however.

Do you have one of those turret auxiliary finders or a specific 35mm one?

Best wishes, K.
I have the j12 pretty much glued to my fed it's an amazing little lens. I have a turret which has a little issue with parallax, but i have frequently shot without it realizing everything outside the frame-line in the finder is also part of the shot (plus a little)

For the price a fed jupiter 12 combo is very tough to beat IMHO just don't shoot into the sun and fry your shutter cloth

Jupiter 12 on leaky fed 5

01-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #4770
Veteran Member

Steve

Edit: On second thought, I am not so sure that it is a Bessa R or R2...Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what that guy was packing?
Look like a Contax G series to me.