Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2011, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #6316
Inactive Account

MattC - thank you for the kind words! I have to get a better scan of it to see if I can blow it up. I might've had a little camera shake going on. :0/

Chris - thanks! it's at a little fenced in area next to a dilapidated old building on the corner of S. Elati and Bayaud in Denver. It's quite overgrown at this point, but there are a lot of rusty old gas pumps and such there. you have to shoot through metal chain link fence or stand on something to see over. I actually pulled my car up last summer and stood on it, but most of my good shots were through the fence. here are the ones from last year. they were shot on fuji 200 and cross processed (pardon the poor scan quality). It's a cool location, but there aren't that many good shots to be had right now due to the overgrowth.

11-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #6317
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk1000denver Quote
Chris - thanks! it's at a little fenced in area next to a dilapidated old building on the corner of S. Elati and Bayaud in Denver. It's quite overgrown at this point, but there are a lot of rusty old gas pumps and such there. you have to shoot through metal chain link fence or stand on something to see over. I actually pulled my car up last summer and stood on it, but most of my good shots were through the fence. here are the ones from last year. they were shot on fuji 200 and cross processed (pardon the poor scan quality). It's a cool location, but there aren't that many good shots to be had right now due to the overgrowth.
Cool! Thanks for the info! I'll check it out next time I'm in that corner of town!
11-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #6318
Inactive Account

It's also two blocks from Denver Pro Photo, might as well stop in there and check it out if you haven't been in before. they have a decent film selection there. and feel free to give me some tips on any locations around town that I shoudl check out, sometimes I get a little stagnant and can't think of areas to go to. often times I'll just hop in the car and start driving down side streets. but if you have any suggestions, let me know! thanks.

edit: btw, I noticed you seem to be into train photography, I'd love suggestions on any train yards that are accessible, especially those with older engines!

-Brian
11-04-2011, 08:32 AM   #6319
Veteran Member

Brian -

Probably the best yard view is of North Yard. 48th Ave goes over the yard just west of the mousetrap. This is the view looking north. The engine facility and yard tower are easily visible. Be advised, I did get unofficially asked to leave once because I stood around for awhile and "was making the crews nervous." And when I was waiting for the steam locomotive to come last weekend, one guy yelled up "Get a life!" It's public property, so they can't really do anything...but they seem to be less than welcoming to people taking railroad photos.

A little south of there is a pedestrian bridge over Fox Junction. It's roughly at 43rd and Inca. This doesn't seem like the friendliest corner of town, so I usually limit myself to very early morning shooting. Still, the Blue Hour possibilities are nice.

Another yard that's visible from an elevated position is BNSF's 38th St Yard seen here from Park Ave West a little north of Coors Field.

*The* place for old engines is by the Burnham Shops west of the Buckhorn Exchange (10th and Osage). I don't have any examples online, but it's where the Union Pacific keeps it's "dead" line. I've seen a bit of everything there over the years. I've never figured out how to shoot it very well, but it's fun to see what's in there from time to time. By the bye, the Buckhorn Exchange is a fun place to eat if you've never been there. A little pricey, but very interesting. I'd avoid it if you're a vegetarian, though. ;-D

If you've never been to the Colorado Railroad Museum, it's definitely worth a trip. They have equipment that dates from the late 19th century all the way to the late 20th century. They run steam almost once a month or so. The next steam up is scheduled for Dec. 3rd. One of the gentlemen that I bumped into while chasing 844 said that they'd be running 346 (the loco in my avatar) for that event. Either she or 844 is my favorite locomotive (I tend to flip flop based on which one I last saw under steam ;-D).

Hopefully that will get you started. If you need other places, let me know!

Chris

11-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #6320

I got my Grandad's camera, a Super Finetta from 1951 or so with a 45mm f2.8 lens from my mam last time I was home and gave it a good cla. As it has no meter, a tiny viewfinder and the shutter speeds tested "ok", I thought I'd only risk a roll of Poundland Kodak Colorplus for the first few shots. I'm impressed - it's a Tessar lens from what I can see, so it's pretty sharp and has an interesting rendition. I'm also happy that my focus estimation wasn't too bad!

Two sample shots:

11-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #6321
Veteran Member

Yes! Bravo! That's a nice result from a Finetta
11-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #6322
Inactive Account

Chris - wow, thank you for all of that excellent info! I'm excited to go shoot some trains! and the shots you posted are beautiful, very inspiring. thanks again!

11-04-2011, 06:37 PM   #6323
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A couple shots of the downtown (North) side of False Creek in Vancouver.

Fuji Sensia 100 shot with a Pentax KX. (K24/3.5, K50/1.4 & K85/1.8)

Phil.
11-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #6324
Veteran Member

Ferrania 100 (RIP) in a minolta XE-5 / MD 35-70/3.5
11-06-2011, 06:09 PM   #6325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Switched over to my preferred late fall/winter colour film, Fuji Provia 400X.
Some night shots using a Pentax K2 and K85/1.8 & K50/1.2.
(Home scanner did not like working with all the black sky, Photoshop Elements made everything look dull??)

Phil.

Last edited by gofour3; 11-06-2011 at 06:20 PM.
11-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #6326
Veteran Member

SP1000 w/inop meter, Super Tak 50/1.4, ColorPlus 200
11-06-2011, 09:18 PM - 1 Like   #6327
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@gofour3 - A quick levels adjustment should sort that out. Sample (with all of your other editing untouched):

It also looks like you horizon is tilted by a degree or so, which could also be left over from the scanner but is fairly easy to correct.
11-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #6328
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
@gofour3 - A quick levels adjustment should sort that out. Sample (with all of your other editing untouched):

It also looks like you horizon is tilted by a degree or so, which could also be left over from the scanner but is fairly easy to correct.
Thanks very much that does look better; I'll try that option next time. I’ve also noticed some scans seem to be a bit crooked, not sure if it’s the way I place the slides in the holder or if the scanner is out of adjustment.

Phil.
11-07-2011, 08:10 AM   #6329

A couple taken on Colorplus 200 with an Olympus IS1000 - this is a film bridge camera. Built in 35-135mm lens and an SLR style moving mirror and viewfinder. Nice camera with a good lens, but I don't think I'll hold on to it - I'm preferring more manual options at the moment.

One does not approve:

Bristol Uni:
11-08-2011, 06:28 AM   #6330
Veteran Member

ColorPlus 200 in a SP1000/Super Tak 50/1.4, inoperative meter