Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43113 Likes Search this Thread
08-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #7321
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At the end of the property of the National Cemetery is a monument to Lincoln's Gettysburg Address...

Another view of the central monument...

And the gate...

All shots Pentax MX, M50 f1.7, Portra 160

Thanks for looking and best to all,
Kevin

08-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #7322
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by montman Quote
Kjon- I used to only shoot in AV mode and now I only shoot in manual mode. You nailed the exposure on these. I wish I could shoot my MX. The one I bought has a messed up meter. The shot of the brick building has a crazy amount of depth to it. Almost looks 3D. How amazing are the scans from the Portra 160. I scanned in my first roll last week and love that stuff. That an amazing place to shoot.
Montman, thanks for the kind words. Can't take credit for the scans. I use a pro lab a couple towns over and he treats me pretty well (and probably makes me look better than I deserve). Really grateful that he's still in business. I used to be very fond of Fuji Reala 100, but since it has been discontinued I've been exploring other options.

Best,
Kevin
08-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #7323
Veteran Member

Spent Sunday shooting a roll of film on the battlefield in Gettysburg and was actually able to climb up inside the Pennsylvania monument and take some landscape shots from a higher vantage point. Below are some shots of the old Visitor's Center, now empty, having been replaced by a new and improved version. Nancy and I were able to see the new Visitor's Center and the cyclorama painted by French artist Paul Philippoteaux. As I made my way through the parking lot to get the car I was struck by the license plates on the cars...Georgia, Maryland, New York, Florida, New Hampshire, Delaware, North Carolina, Connecticut, Michigan, Virginia...all lined up side by each. Roughly 150 years ago, these same states were hell bent on killing each other. I found myself much heartened despite the current acrimonious political climate. We were all there trying to make sense of a shared American experience and to honor the ultimate sacrifice made by so many. Whatever our political leanings may be, it is that American identity, and the respect for the idea that is America, that will hopefully save us all.

Again, all shots MX, M50 f1.7, Portra 160

Pennsylvania Monument

Battlefield

Re-enactors

Top of the PA Monument (Arrows point to different areas of the battle).

View from atop the PA Monument

Another view from the PA Monument

Best to all,
Kevin
08-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #7324
Veteran Member

I was hoping to get a shot of the bronze statue atop the Pennsylvania monument, but the angle was just too much. This was the best I could do...

A few of the monuments from around the battlefield...

Wonder if these are northern or southern bees...

All shots MX, M50 f1.7, Portra 160

Best,
Kevin

08-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #7325
Veteran Member

A couple of shots of the Old Visitor's Center on the Gettysburg Battlefield...

The old Visitor's Center used to house the cyclorama (a giant round painting of the battle by French artist Paul Philippoteaux), hence the round wall...

I love these stone piers at the old Visitors' Center.

Looking up at Little Round Top

My sweet wife...

Me...(and I didn't shoot this one).

All shots Pentax MX, M50 f1.7, Portra 160

Thanks for looking and best to all,
Kevin
08-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #7326
Veteran Member

I'm starting to feel like Columbo..."just one more thing...", actually two more.

Bottom of Little Round Top

Rocks at Devil's Den

Certainly wasn't my intent to monopolize this part of the thread, but I'm very pleased with this collection of shots, the MX, and the Portra 160. For those of you who took the time to look, you have my thanks, and I hope you enjoyed this partial photographic tour of Gettysburg.

Best,
Kevin
08-21-2012, 09:32 PM   #7327
Veteran Member

Great set Kevin!

Ran a role though my MEF with it's 35-70 AF Zoom before it went off to a fellow forum member....

08-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #7328
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
I'm pretty pleased with what I'm getting out of the MX, but it's essentially a manual camera as opposed to the aperture priority of the ME Super and SuperProgram. Instinctively, I find myself looking for EV comp, but the only EV comp I'm going to get on the MX is changing the settings myself. Making the adjustment slowly, but if it comes down to a matter of preference, I'd rather shoot aperture priority - old habits are hard to break.
Kevin, for me it is exactly the opposite - when using an ae camera I forget the EV comp.... Guess it has to do with what we learned on - me on a non-coupled metered Pen FT. Excellent series from Gettysburg!

Thanks everyone for the comments on the stitch pano -- they aren't any more difficult with film than with digital Purists won't like the vignetting and other problems, but I like the effect... Here's a 'panorama' from the same Ricoh, but this is done with the barn doors blocking the top/bottom of a regular 35mm frame

Here's a couple with a 50's Ansco Super Memar 2.0 with a Solagon lens. Fuji 160S. Before shooting I get anxious about metering, but once in the act, I just go with the flow: meterless photography lives The Solagon is a seriously sharp lens.

08-22-2012, 04:41 AM   #7329
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Cool panos Nesster. What software did you use to stitch?

5 frames of Kodak Portra 800 stitched using MS ICE -> Microsoft Research Image Composite Editor (ICE)

D Gates of the McCarran Airport, Las Vegas full version -> http://www.fototime.com/8448FE0562E69EE/orig.jpg
08-22-2012, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #7330
Veteran Member

@Jussi, my wife and I really enjoyed the earlier pano from Pt. Pleasant (the one without the barn doors), so "chacun a son gout" is alive and well. Love "Subterranian Homesick" - the red shoes make that shot. Funny thing when I saw the title, my first thought was of Kerouac and not Dylan; guess it shows where my brain is.

I appreciate your thoughts on ae cameras. I've been thinking about that a lot; the influence of what you've learned on. For me, it was the ME Super my dad gave me in my twenties. Photo bug bit me for real later in life - I wasn't very good when I was younger and not all that interested in taking the time and expense to get better. With the purchase of the MX two weeks ago, I have most of the Pentax cameras I'm interested in shooting, although I'm still missing the LX, MZ-S, and the Pentax 645. Upshot is, I'm still sorting out how I feel about each one and the Canon AE-1, Minolta XG-1n, and the Nikon EM in my arsenal. I will say that in shooting the SV and the MX, I found myself really thinking about exposure and working at it to get it right and for my photographs, that was a good thing.

Best,
Kevin
08-22-2012, 06:33 AM   #7331
Veteran Member

@SteveM, thanks for comment. Hoping things get sorted out with the "Traveling K Mount" and looking forward to your shots with the MX. Re the MEF, why did you let it go? I haven't shot one, so I don't have an opinion either way, but I'm liking the tree shot you just posted.

Best,
Kevin
08-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #7332
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nesster- Really liking that shot of Pleasant Beach. Love the lines in your last shot as well.
LesDMess- That pano is intense.
08-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #7333
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i've been away for two days, and during those two days i've missed so many nice shots !

Nesster : i really like the pano, it have some taste of hollidays

Montman : the rendering is really beautiful and the girl, well, you could forgive everything to her.

Kjon : the serie about Gettysburg is really really nice.

Every July 14th there is a military parade on the Champs Elysée, in Paris. The short version of the long (Hi)story is that it's some sort of French version of the Independance Day of the USA (to make it super mega simple).

After the parade, all the military troops and vehicules have to leave the city. So to keep it simple, juste imagine like 20 trucks filled with tanks and other armored vehicules, hundreds of jeeps, mens and womens, etc ... a huge mess that needs to be clean up in less than 120 minutes. A great challenge.

Among all the picture i've done, (around a hundred) the picture that i think is far from being exceptional or anything, but i like most is this one. Why ? i can't even say !

Picture taken the July 14th, at Place de l'Etoile, in Paris, France.

MZ-5n, FA-J 18-35 @18mm, f16, Fuji Superia 200, probably 1/125 of 1/180.
08-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #7334
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in the U.S.S.R.!

I was scanning these slides to show a couple guys I work with who are Russian, so I might was well also post them here.

The first three are in Moscow and the last three Leningrad (St. Petersburg). All were taken in the summer of 1976 using my KX (K28/3.5, K55/1.8 & K135/3.5) and Kodachrome 64.

Phil
08-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #7335
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
I'm starting to feel like Columbo..."just one more thing...", actually two more.

Bottom of Little Round Top

Rocks at Devil's Den

Certainly wasn't my intent to monopolize this part of the thread, but I'm very pleased with this collection of shots, the MX, and the Portra 160. For those of you who took the time to look, you have my thanks, and I hope you enjoyed this partial photographic tour of Gettysburg.

Best,
Kevin
Great set of photos Kevin! I enjoyed every one, it's interesting to see many good photos of such a historic place.