Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43116 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #7456
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax MX and Kodachrome slide. South Africa - GreenTransport.

09-19-2012, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #7457
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The long road to the mountains, Transvaal South Africa
09-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #7458
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow, @montman, the last photo is lovely!
09-19-2012, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #7459
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

arnold: It came out so clean for just a pic off a projector. What a crazy time to have been there.
kcobain1992: Thanks. It's kind of crazy, my main camera is a Canon 5D Mark II and I have some crazy expensive glass for it. The Canon lenses seem to just blur the background and the Pentax lenses seem to do something artsy with the bokeh. I love my Pentax glass and prefer it over my expensive Canon glass.

09-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #7460
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Pentax MX and Kodachrome slide. South Africa - GreenTransport.
A three asspower motor, I love it!
I wish we actually had culture up here to take pictures of.
09-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #7461
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
A three asspower motor, I love it!
I wish we actually had culture up here to take pictures of.
You do. Its just that you see it so often it becomes familiar. How about county fairs, etc? Cheese festivals?
09-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #7462
Veteran Member

Kodak Retinette 1A, Sydney 1961. Photographed slide projected on the wall - not scanned.
AT THE RACES.
what race in 1961?

did you mean you projected this photo to the wall and take it photograped?

09-20-2012, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #7463
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
what race in 1961?

did you mean you projected this photo to the wall and take it photograped?

Yes, I set up my K5 just above and behind the projector (Kodak Carousel) and then focus both the projector and the camera on a white wall. I then photograph each slide as it comes up. This way I can do a lot in a short time. However, the quality will not match a good scan. I scanned the donkey and 'road to mountain' pictures, but not the one where the people were watching sedan car races at Warwick Farm in Sydney in 1961.
09-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #7464
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes, I set up my K5 just above and behind the projector (Kodak Carousel) and then focus both the projector and the camera on a white wall.
Well, there you have it. The ultimate in inexpensive slide-to-digital conversion.

Steve
09-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #7465
Veteran Member

Yes, I set up my K5 just above and behind the projector (Kodak Carousel) and then focus both the projector and the camera on a white wall. I then photograph each slide as it comes up. This way I can do a lot in a short time. However, the quality will not match a good scan.
Great method for slides if you have a projector but no scanner. Results look great too.

I've been thinking about a simple way of scanning 35mm film and getting the sprocket holes in the scan. The stock holder blocks out the holes.
Today, with help from my sister, we made a simple film holder out of 2 sheets of heavy card stock. After doing it I have a better idea of how I could make a much better one and it would be quit simple to make holders for any film format i.e. 127, 110 etc.

Here's one of my first scans from the custom paper holder.

Pentax KX, SMC Pentax 24/2.8, Fuji Superia Xtra 400
09-21-2012, 03:10 AM   #7466
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Great method for slides if you have a projector but no scanner. Results look great too.

I've been thinking about a simple way of scanning 35mm film and getting the sprocket holes in the scan. The stock holder blocks out the holes.
Today, with help from my sister, we made a simple film holder out of 2 sheets of heavy card stock. After doing it I have a better idea of how I could make a much better one and it would be quit simple to make holders for any film format i.e. 127, 110 etc.

Nice. This is a great idea. I have many 110 negatives I need to scan and no holder. Your customer idea could help me get them done. Care to share any lessons learned in creating or using the holder?

TIA.
Fred
09-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #7467
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hollywoodfred Quote
Nice. This is a great idea. I have many 110 negatives I need to scan and no holder. Your customer idea could help me get them done. Care to share any lessons learned in creating or using the holder?

TIA.
Fred
I am thinking about making some PDF print outs that could be used as templates or maybe even printed on card stock and then cut out. I'm not sure when I might be able to though.
The basic idea is, using the OEM holder as a guide, we cut out 2 identical sheets with an opening 32mm wide, and about 5 frames long. The opening are located so that the new holder can pushed tight to one side and the film opening will under the scanner in the lid.
I ran into two issues,
first, as my holder is 2 identical sheet that sandwich the film edges and there is nothing to hold the film aligned the opening, loading film is a little tricky and tedious.
Secondly, the scanner requires a gap or space between the holder and the hinge end of the lid, otherwise the scanner will think the document mat is installed.

If I were to make another, I would add a third, middle layer that has a 36mm wide opening so the film will self align to the opening.
09-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #7468
Veteran Member

Thanks Colton. Maybe I'll give this a try this weekend if the weather keeps me indoors. I'll follow-up when I have something to report.
09-22-2012, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #7469
Veteran Member

Yes, I set up my K5 just above and behind the projector (Kodak Carousel) and then focus both the projector and the camera on a white wall. I then photograph each slide as it comes up. This way I can do a lot in a short time. However, the quality will not match a good scan. I scanned the donkey and 'road to mountain' pictures, but not the one where the people were watching sedan car races at Warwick Farm in Sydney in 1961.
thanks for the info mate.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, there you have it. The ultimate in inexpensive slide-to-digital conversion.

Steve
agree steve. wonder how it would be with our latest flagship IIs . must be amazing.

or our future FF :|

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

lovely. as always.

just because you cleaning up your dry box.. i just want to say ..
dont give up film Colton. .

Last edited by fearview; 09-22-2012 at 07:30 PM.
09-22-2012, 07:29 PM   #7470
Veteran Member

Pentax *ist + smc Pentax-FA 1:1.8/77 + Kodak Portra 160 NC