Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43038 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #7951
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerran_156 Quote
Thanks for the .... generous comments :P , I wish the butterfly shot didnt have so much grain, I dont know why that happened.

Kerran
I have had similar effects, and suspect an underexposure that has been compensated for in the scan. There are threads on composition if you use the search feature in the technique section. It takes time to train yourself to have an 'eye' for what the picture will look like. For example, be aware of the background, as in real life, we mentally ignore it. On a photo it competes with your subject. There is a 'rule of thirds' you may wish to look into, but like many rules, it is a guide not an absolute.
The picture of the dog seems to have a reflection on it. Be aware of the sun causing flare on the lens. You know how sometimes when you want to see through a window you need to cup your hand to cut the reflections - it's that effect on the lens.
Your K1000 is capable of taking award winning pictures, it is just a matter practise.

02-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #7952
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
Here's a test shot from my newly acquired FA 28-105 3.2-4.5, taken using my PZ-1 and Fujicolor 200
Nice one. Surprised to see there are still leaves left on the trees. Did you glue them on?
02-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #7953
Inactive Account

Cross-posting from the soviet lens club:

Yesterday I promised pictures from my soviet camera copy. Here they are:

(Picture links to gallery.)

Kiev 4, Agfa Vista 200

What looks like a light leak probably is not: When winding back, I had ripped the film out of the cartridge. What looks like self timer shutter release ist not, instead it is the lever to engage the rewinding knob. Pressing the rewinding knob alone will do exactly nothing...
I then improvised a bit and turned a bathroom into a darkroom by covering the ventilation with a jacket. Seemed dark to me, but one or two pictures got some light nonetheless.
Next time I will know better.:-)
02-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #7954
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerran_156 Quote
I wish the butterfly shot didnt have so much grain, I dont know why that happened.
The primary thing you can do to control grain is to overexpose. When shooting negative film, overexpose by 2/3 of a stop, or by 1 full stop, then pull in down after you get your scans. Your images will show much less grain.

If you're familiar with the idea of a signal to noise ratio, think of grain as the noise in this system (which is is), and your exposed image as the signal, and it will all make sense.

Another way of thinking of it is that the film manufacturer's basically want to call the film a higher ISO than it really is so it sounds faster. Speed is not something that has to conform to scientific standards, and they are able to call it whatever they wish. In other words, 400 ISO is not necessarily 400 ISO is not necessarily 400 ISO. In the movie world, cinematographers generally shoot film at 2/3 stop higher than the official ISO rating. This is why movies shot on film generally don't look grainy.

02-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #7955
Veteran Member

Your shutter seems to have a problem. Half your pictures (the left half) are darker that the other half.
02-06-2013, 03:11 AM   #7956
Inactive Account

kcobain, do you mean me?

Shutter runs from top to bottom, so it can't be the shutter. I attribute the funny lighting that to me accidentally ripping the film out of the cartridge when winding back and then trying to rescue it by opening the camera in an rather improvised darkroom (i.e. windowless bathroom), which seemed to be not entirely dark...
02-06-2013, 03:52 AM   #7957
Veteran Member

Top to bottom, left to right in the other orientation, same thing. Look at these in small size, you'll notice that one half of the frame is always way darker than the other. You can't make a negative darker than it already is, exposure is irreversible...
Google shutter capping

02-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #7958
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Nice one. Surprised to see there are still leaves left on the trees. Did you glue them on?
Thank you
In my neighborhood, there are some non-native oak trees that seem to keep their dead leaves all winter. The fall off in spring shortly before the new ones come.

Here's one from my Lomo Belair.
This was my first use of the 58mm lens, as well as my first roll of new (non expired) film.

Lomo Belair X 6-12, 58mm lens, Kodak New Porta 160@100
02-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #7959
pai

Photos: Albums
Hi everybody, this is my first post here though I've been a member for a few months. Love all your pictures. Been following this and the black & white thread regularly. Inspires me to keep shooting film. I thought I'll post a couple of pictures here and ask for some c & c.

Pentax K1000. Kodak Ektar 100.
02-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #7960
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In my neighborhood, there are some non-native oak trees that seem to keep their dead leaves all winter.
Mine too. Up here, it is the "Pin Oak" (I think) that hold on to their dead leaves until Spring.

Steve
02-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #7961
Veteran Member

Another from the Belair. Same roll, 90mm lens.
02-07-2013, 05:48 PM - 2 Likes   #7962
Inactive Account

A few new shots from the ME Super on Fuji Pro 160S, all shot with K 55/1.8 except the train yard shot, which was a Vivitar 75-205mm zoom:

02-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #7963
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pai Quote
Hi everybody, this is my first post here though I've been a member for a few months. Love all your pictures. Been following this and the black & white thread regularly. Inspires me to keep shooting film. I thought I'll post a couple of pictures here and ask for some c & c.

Pentax K1000. Kodak Ektar 100.
Nice work, I like the colours in the first shot. Very moody.

Phil.
02-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #7964
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another from the Belair. Same roll, 90mm lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk1000denver Quote
A few new shots from the ME Super on Fuji Pro 160S, all shot with K 55/1.8 except the train yard shot, which was a Vivitar 75-205mm zoom:
Nice shots guys!
02-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #7965
pai

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Nice work, I like the colours in the first shot. Very moody.

Phil.
Thanks Phil I shot some frames of the same scene on Provia where the colours are more brilliant, but large parts of the picture are black because of the high contrast. I'll post more pictures from the series later.