Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 43060 Likes Search this Thread
05-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #9571
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Point of the Arches, 1965

shot by my father with his Nikomat on Ektachrome circa 1965, Shi Shi Beach, WA
scanned with the PIE PrimeFilm XE, and as usual looks much better on Flickr.

Gorgeous! Despite having been to Neah Bay several times, I have never been to Shi Shi or Point of Arches. Both are on my bucket list. Thanks for strengthening my resolve to make a visit!

Steve

05-22-2014, 04:27 PM   #9572
Veteran Member

From the test roll through my new ZX-5n.

Yellow Bus par Daiku San, on ipernity
Pentax ZX-5n
SMC Pentax-F 28/2.8
Fujicolor Superia 200
05-22-2014, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #9573
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote

Yellow Bus par Daiku San, on ipernity
Pentax ZX-5n
SMC Pentax-F 28/2.8
Fujicolor Superia 200
Congrats on the 5n, great camera. This kind of capture is only on the west coast, any buses here are long dead. Nice color and composition--color field, like a photographic Rothko.
05-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #9574
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Gorgeous! Despite having been to Neah Bay several times, I have never been to Shi Shi or Point of Arches. Both are on my bucket list. Thanks for strengthening my resolve to make a visit!
Thanks Steve... It's a bit more of a chore than it was at that time now that there is absolutely no road, but the trailhead on the reservation only a bit over a mile hike in and only steep at the last bit when you actually descend to the beach. I've not been in a few years now and it's on the list for this summer. There are some shipwrecks from *many* years back to gawk at on the couple coves just North of the beach and on a low tide tons of fun. Now that I'm talking about it, I think it's time I got myself there for a good 3-day weekend for certain, with the MX and a bag o' Ektar.

(oh and speaking of bucket-lists - I've been out to Vancouver island plenty o times but have never hiked the West Coast Trail - that's on mine for certain)

Thanks everyone else as well - my dad's the one that got me hooked. He doesn't shoot like he used to at all, but he's been noticing the Etkar shots I've taken and himself remarked how much they reminded him of his Ektachrome fav. So I just picked him up a *really* clean Super Program for his birthday comin' up and plan to include a few of my lenses I've just had sitting around. I bet I *might* even be able to get him to come along to Shi Shi - mmmmmabye.

05-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #9575
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats! Happened to see your post on the google film group too (I just requested to join).. I just had a ZX-5 arrive yesterday myself... Got it with a FG grip and an F zoom for $30 including the ship (I was pleasantly surprised to find it came with the grip, batteries included). Can't wait to get using this thing.

All I have right now is some expired Kodak Gold that I found in the closet that I have no idea how old it is... I have rolls in both my MF bodies to finish up too... I think AF is going to improve my experience for the type of film shooting I like to do (at the kids with Tres Amigos)...

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I bet I *might* even be able to get him to come along to Shi Shi - mmmmmabye.
Gotta set him up with a flickr account too..
05-23-2014, 04:01 AM   #9576
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
Some more black and white stuff, Pentax MX and FA43/1.9.

Hopefully it works this time:

Coffee
by Jarek Miszkinis, on Flickr

D3200_35mm_DDX029.jpg

Snowy day
Beautiful grain! what is the film used?
05-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #9577
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
Beautiful grain! what is the film used?
Thanks! I have replied above, but ifrom top to bottom it's Acros, Detal 3200 and Neopan 400, you can click on photos for developer info.

05-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #9578
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steveston, B.C. (P67 & 75/4.5 Shift shooting Provia 400x)

Phil.
05-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #9579
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Steveston, B.C. (P67 & 75/4.5 Shift shooting Provia 400x)

Phil.
Nice work Phil.

---------- Post added 05-23-2014 at 12:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Congrats on the 5n, great camera. This kind of capture is only on the west coast, any buses here are long dead. Nice color and composition--color field, like a photographic Rothko.
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Congrats! Happened to see your post on the google film group too (I just requested to join).. I just had a ZX-5 arrive yesterday myself... Got it with a FG grip and an F zoom for $30 including the ship (I was pleasantly surprised to find it came with the grip, batteries included). Can't wait to get using this thing.

All I have right now is some expired Kodak Gold that I found in the closet that I have no idea how old it is... I have rolls in both my MF bodies to finish up too... I think AF is going to improve my experience for the type of film shooting I like to do (at the kids with Tres Amigos)...
Thanks guys.
05-23-2014, 03:31 PM   #9580
Veteran Member

Gotta chime in on your new ZX-5n, Colton. (I've been so busy this spring, I haven't even been able to lurk here, although I've tried to keep up with the "Show us your film shots" forum). I wish it wasn't so, but my best film shots have been taken with this camera and paired with my Metz 58 AF 1 and Portra 400, I've had some stellar indoor party photos. Enjoy!
05-23-2014, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #9581
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KJon Quote
Gotta chime in on your new ZX-5n, Colton. (I've been so busy this spring, I haven't even been able to lurk here, although I've tried to keep up with the "Show us your film shots" forum). I wish it wasn't so, but my best film shots have been taken with this camera and paired with my Metz 58 AF 1 and Portra 400, I've had some stellar indoor party photos. Enjoy!
Hey Kevin, great to hear from you.
I'm pretty excited by this ZX-5n. I've had my MZ-L for years, and it's been a really great camera. It's awesome that the 5n is smaller, yet it has a bigger viewfinder.

Here's a self portrait from the test roll.

Pentax ZX-5n
SMC Pentax-F 28/2.8
Fujicolor Superia 200
05-24-2014, 04:50 PM   #9582
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a self portrait from the test roll.
Nice shot... Developed by selfie too?
05-24-2014, 06:10 PM   #9583
Veteran Member

Likin' the selfie, Colton. I'm sure you've seen it posted elsewhere, but the battery grip really makes the ZX-5n. Bought my body on the marketplace here and the seller was kind enough to throw in the grip, unbeknownst to me. Meanwhile I had already purchased the CR-2 or CR-3 batteries (can't remember which the ZX-5n takes off the top of my squash) in anticipation of the camera's arrival and felt obliged to use them. The ZX-5n is surprisingly easy on batteries (which shocked me in light of the body's built-in winder), so it was a good while before I had occasion to use the grip. When I did, it was a revelation. I've always shot with smaller bodies - first Pentax was an ME Super - and was happy shooting the ZX-5n grip-less. I'd read the posts raving about how the grip really completed this camera and found them hard to believe. After shooting the camera with the grip, I'm a true believer. I didn't think there was anything that could make the ZX-5n a better camera, but the battery grip brings shooting it to a whole new level. If you have a chance to pick one up, I highly recommend it.
05-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #9584
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Nice shot... Developed by selfie too?
Thanks
No, with my health condition I can't do my own developing.

Likin' the selfie, Colton. I'm sure you've seen it posted elsewhere, but the battery grip really makes the ZX-5n. Bought my body on the marketplace here and the seller was kind enough to throw in the grip, unbeknownst to me. Meanwhile I had already purchased the CR-2 or CR-3 batteries (can't remember which the ZX-5n takes off the top of my squash) in anticipation of the camera's arrival and felt obliged to use them. The ZX-5n is surprisingly easy on batteries (which shocked me in light of the body's built-in winder), so it was a good while before I had occasion to use the grip. When I did, it was a revelation. I've always shot with smaller bodies - first Pentax was an ME Super - and was happy shooting the ZX-5n grip-less. I'd read the posts raving about how the grip really completed this camera and found them hard to believe. After shooting the camera with the grip, I'm a true believer. I didn't think there was anything that could make the ZX-5n a better camera, but the battery grip brings shooting it to a whole new level. If you have a chance to pick one up, I highly recommend it.
Thanks Kevin.
I'll keep a lookout for a grip
05-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #9585
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but the battery grip brings shooting it to a whole new level.
I really like the feel of it too with the grip (though I haven't tried without it to compare). It's comfortable. Glad to hear the 5n is easy on batteries, and hope the 5 is too...